You are not logged in. Please register or login.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

Re: Axl Rose/Dexter forum chat discussion thread

-D- wrote:

I am a runner so when it comes to putting on an album to accompany on my runs, Appetite is number 1, Contraband is number 2. That album STILL gets my adrenaline going. Set Me Free kicks in and it is fucking ON!

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I think they'e both progressive personally in their own styles.

I think each man has continued to work in his own style damn well.

Songs like Catcher in the Rye, This I Love and TWAT are the continuation of songs such as Breakdown and November Rain. I believe elements of the vocal parts (backings in catcher, high parts of twat) and things like the use of synths and ochestration could be considered the evolution of things Axl has always done pushed a bit farther.

Likewise stuff like By the Sword, Sucker Train Blues, Dime Store Rock are the continuation of riffs such as My Michelle and Jungle. Slash's guitar playing has got progressively more intricate - even on contraband songs he's shredding out solos live now with myles that are superior to the studio cuts of the same tracks.

I see them both as having taken their respective contributions to the band and developed their solo works to further their own styles.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

CD progressive? My ass. Adding stolen loops and a lot of stupid synths, doing the worst cut and paste job in the history of music, while removing the guitars is everything, but progressive.

As I see both CD and Contraband are regressive albums, since they are much worse than the main people's previous works.

Sky Dog wrote:

sort of agree...I don't really get in to the regressive/progressive thing with music. Everything in rock has been done. Both Slash and Axl do what they do. You either like the songs or you don't.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Contraband was awful. But people seem to jizz over riffs, so whatever... And UYI were progressive albums.

Don't give a shit, CD was one of the best albums of the decade.

AtariLegend wrote:

There Was A Time, Madagascar, Estranged, Coma, Locomotive are all what I would call progressive.

...And Chinese Democracy has a riff. imo

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

People sometimes forget how much hard hitting potential is in this band. No idea why this didn't make the album.

[youtube]B08EraGPdag&feature=related[/youtube]

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

progressive basically means progress/change.

music has changed since appetite/uyi's

axl attempted to leave the riff based rock n roll genre
(that slash continues to embrace)
when he embarked on his solo/new gnr journey.

whether he has loops and samples on cd or not is irrelevant to the comparison.

were not debating whether or not cd is groundbreaking and the pioneer album of the 2000's.

i said cd lacks riffs because it is more progressive in approach to slash's work.

thats just an objective analysis - opinions aside

you like riffs? great

you like contraband better than cd? great

im not saying one is better and one being progressive doesn't make it better.

its always subjective in the end cause its music

Lomax wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

People sometimes forget how much hard hitting potential is in this band. No idea why this didn't make the album.

[youtube]B08EraGPdag&feature=related[/youtube]

Me neither the lyrics stick with you "crawl through your veins like millions of spiders" one of the most disturbing lines I've ever heard. The more you repeat that line in your head the more your skin tingles amazing stuff.
It's a shame they didn't do a video, a super aggressive one, and push this song harder.

Sky Dog wrote:

it would have faired well had he called it a solo project or given it a new band name....People simply couldn't accept that as Gnr. In hindsight, it is a pretty rockin tune with good lyrics. smile

Board footer