You are not logged in. Please register or login.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

Re: That Metal Show, Trunk/GN'R Discussion

DCK wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
DCK wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I am a little concerned that DJ is being leaned on so much for promotion.  He's the newest guy and he's not even 100% committed to this band since he is very active in other ventures.  Tommy should have been doing the interview with Axl if anybody was going to be.

Tommy would be fine too, but DJ is just this type of guy. He's born to play rock and give interviews. Neither Finck, Bucket or anyone else would do better than DJ. Ron is a great guy, but was never a real GNR media PR guy, he's the fan-guy, the dude who hangs out with us and plays tunes. DJ is a good choice. We haven't ha a guy like this in this band since 93, and it's about fucking time someone knew how to talk to the media. DJ does.

So you have no concerns that he's pimping everything?

You can call it whatever you want to call it. He's the right guy at the right place at the right time.

But sure, call in a mumbling Robin or a guy with a hand puppet and see where it takes you.

Better yet, call in the entire band of Coldplay to sooth things down to a less pimpish rock n roll interview.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I'm fairly sure I didn't suggest two guys no longer in the band should be doing the interview.  Ignoring that fact, I didn't suggest someone that has poor communication skills should do the interview either.

Lomax wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

He's not in the band.  He has zero wrting credits on the album.  I'm guessing he doesn't even appear on the record (though I don't recall the timing of it all).  That's not the guy you want representing the band, unless you want to cement the idea that it isn't really a band at all.

I don't mind DJ.  I don't.  I get that he is media savvy to a point, but he also says some stupid shit and spends too much time plugging things other than GnR.

buzzsaw wrote:

I'm fairly sure I didn't suggest two guys no longer in the band should be doing the interview.  Ignoring that fact, I didn't suggest someone that has poor communication skills should do the interview either.

?

Cool opinion bro.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programing.

johndivney wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

Loaded playing shows with GNR???

Fucking cool. Wonder if that's a definite or maybe.

this will never happen

& not just because loaded are in the UK & then SA & then back to Europe in November http://duff-loaded.com/thetaking/tours/ (so maybe some dates in Dec w GnR)
but because it just couldn't happen. could it?!

i'm just noticing on that site that duff is charging more for belfast than he is for the english gigs - & even the london date is cheaper.
that is seriously bad fucking form.
fucking shite is what it is.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
Riad wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

He's not in the band.  He has zero wrting credits on the album.  I'm guessing he doesn't even appear on the record (though I don't recall the timing of it all).  That's not the guy you want representing the band, unless you want to cement the idea that it isn't really a band at all.

I don't mind DJ.  I don't.  I get that he is media savvy to a point, but he also says some stupid shit and spends too much time plugging things other than GnR.

buzzsaw wrote:

?

Cool opinion bro.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programing.

What's your point?  Are you suggesting I did suggest 2 people no longer in the band should do the interviews or that someone lacking social skills should?

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
DCK wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I am a little concerned that DJ is being leaned on so much for promotion.  He's the newest guy and he's not even 100% committed to this band since he is very active in other ventures.  Tommy should have been doing the interview with Axl if anybody was going to be.

Tommy would be fine too, but DJ is just this type of guy. He's born to play rock and give interviews. Neither Finck, Bucket or anyone else would do better than DJ. Ron is a great guy, but was never a real GNR media PR guy, he's the fan-guy, the dude who hangs out with us and plays tunes. DJ is a good choice. We haven't ha a guy like this in this band since 93, and it's about fucking time someone knew how to talk to the media. DJ does.

I could not agree with this more. New era fanboys have this wet dream revisionism that Robin & Bucket were the saviors of GN'R. It just was never gonna happen. Now that doesn't mean that the music they produced isn't good, or the vault stuff isn't good either.

That also doesn't mean DJ is gonna pull them out, BUT -- DJ is the best CHANCE they have to since Slash. He's perfect, absolutely PERFECT for the role, short of a reunion with Slash.

DJ Ashba is Axl's last chance to really do something with the band. But it STILL REQUIRES Axl be present and his full-involvement behind the scenes to make it work. DJ shouldn't be fielding music or production calls from floor sweepers.

Sky Dog wrote:

DJ is a douche and makes the band look like a washed out, sunset strip, 2nd rate has been cover band. Axl, Ron, and Tommy should do all Gnr interviews.

Just my 2 cents.

johndivney wrote:

madagas gets it (except i disagree re: interviews, promo is the only thing dj is good for in this band)

axlin - how many last chances have you given axl now?!

AtariLegend wrote:
johndivney wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

Loaded playing shows with GNR???

Fucking cool. Wonder if that's a definite or maybe.

this will never happen

& not just because loaded are in the UK & then SA & then back to Europe in November http://duff-loaded.com/thetaking/tours/ (so maybe some dates in Dec w GnR)
but because it just couldn't happen. could it?!

Maybe it's cause of the venue owners?
Either way it's still not too bad price wise, I remember paying almost twice that to see Megadeth in the Ulster Hall.

btw... Wish I had friends who liked GNR/Duff, I'd so be there. I'll be in BMC litteally two small streets away just before that starts. tongue.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:
madagas wrote:

DJ is a douche and makes the band look like a washed out, sunset strip, 2nd rate has been cover band. Axl, Ron, and Tommy should do any Gnr interviews.

Just my 2 cents.

I have never observed DJ being a douche, maybe somewhat childish for a 38 year old, but he's in GNR, not Paul McCartneys band. It's alright. He got what it takes. He's not washed up, he's not 2nd rate. He's DJ Ashba and got more album success the past 20 years than Tommy and Ron combined.

With Slash out, like Axlin says, DJ is the best choice there is.

Board footer