You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: That Metal Show, Trunk/GN'R Discussion

The new guys aren't passing themselves off as GNR, they are GNR. Just because you prefer what GNR was to what it is now doesn't mean that Axl does. It's his band, it's his vision. He has lots of material we haven't heard yet that he spent a lot of time on that I'm sure is very important to him. Why would he give up on all of that? How many bands 25-30 years into their career are playing half their new album when they go on tour? He obviously isn't interested in simply being a nostalgia act and there are plenty of fans that feel the same way.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
mister saint laurent wrote:

The new guys aren't passing themselves off as GNR, they are GNR. Just because you prefer what GNR was to what it is now doesn't mean that Axl does. It's his band, it's his vision. He has lots of material we haven't heard yet that he spent a lot of time on that I'm sure is very important to him. Why would he give up on all of that? How many bands 25-30 years into their career are playing half their new album when they go on tour? He obviously isn't interested in simply being a nostalgia act and there are plenty of fans that feel the same way.

Very good, you completely misinterpreted what I said! 22

I take nothing away from the new band being GN'R, and I haven't seen anyone say that in this topic either... 10

But having ex-members involved when they're (this new lineup) still trying to prove themselves as their own entity, doesn't make any sense to me.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
gnfnraxl wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Amen.

If Axl does all of this and continues to just do hits tours with no real future in sight, i'll be back on the "Buzz train", no doubt.

But that doesn't seem to be happening here, so let's give it a chance. It's the most "ready" i've seen Axl since this whole thing begin.

Despite the revisionism, even in 2002, Axl told Loder after the VMA's that they were nowhere close to releasing the album, and seemed like he wanted to be anywhere but there talking with him.

Even with Norris in 2006, he seemed totally reluctant. He seemed to open up on Trunk's radio show in 2006, but the lack of any "band" members kinda negated the whole thing.

Like I said before, this is the first interview Axl's done with a new band member -- ever. That's GOTTA say something, even if Axl forgot to tell DJ to bug off.

I agree.  Like I said before.  I stopped loging on here because I had nothing positive to say cause well Axl didn't seem to have his heart in it.  Now I could be wrong, but he seems into it this time.  Can he prove us wrong?  Sure.  But am willing to give him a chance.  But am starting to understand why Axl NEVER does an interview or anything.  It seems nothing can ever be good enough.  Buzz I get you're a fan of the old GNR and maybe you are not a fan ot his GNR.  Nothing wrong there.  But this GNR is what we have and that ain't gonna change.

Reading comprehension guys. Embrace it. Nobody once has asked for the old band back that I've seen in this thread. The fact is Axl is the only band member. That is a fact. It's not my opinion on the matter. The rest of the guys are as replaceable as Slash's "band" is. If history tells you nothing, you should have at least figured this out by now. You can want them to be a band all you want, but they are in fact a bunch of Gilbys. I can't believe people are even debating this at this point. Amazing.

Naltav
 Rep: 70 

Naltav wrote:
metallex78 wrote:
mister saint laurent wrote:

Very good, you completely misinterpreted what I said! 22

I take nothing away from the new band being GN'R, and I haven't seen anyone say that in this topic either... 10

But having ex-members involved when they're (this new lineup) still trying to prove themselves as their own entity, doesn't make any sense to me.

If Axl, Duff and the new lineup are totally fine with Loaded opening for GNR, then there is nothing to be "confused" or worried about.

Sure it's a pretty unusual scenario, but it's not the first time something strange and unusual have happened in the world of GNR. Hell, they had Izzy travelling with them back in '06. It's been 5 years and nothing further came out of that. Just friends hanging and playing music together.

Maybe some fans should just stop trying to overanalize the situation. It's prolly not that complicated behind the scenes.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

I dunno, I think having any of the ex-members involved with anything with the new band just begs the question "if Axl is getting along with the old members enough to open a tour with them, why the hell does he need new guys passing themselves off as GN'R, when he could have the original members...?"

I hear ya...but I think in a way from their own perspective...it makes for a perfect marriage....

Axl gets to see his old mate duff but doesn't have to abandon Tommy who has been loyal to him. Axl doesn't have to give up any control over the GNR brand the way he might under the terms of a real long term reunion.

Meanwhile Duff gets all the fun of playing to the big crowds on a GNR tour and get's to hang with his old mate Axl - who is said to be very funny and a lot of fun when out after shows etc....but without any of the risk factors of the gigs imploding.

Think about it - in GNR duff has to decide if he will go back to tollerating Axl being in charge, and there's always a real risk of a meltdown of somekind fucking up the show....but with loaded...he sails his own ship and thus gets the authority...and he can rely on himself to show for the support slot...if shit goes down after that and the headline act implodes he won't be copping the fines or the blame or the abuse in the media.

So both of them get the fun part of touring together without the respective problems for them that happens if they're both in GNR.

So i totally see that from a fan POV, Duff opening for GNR is kinda surreal and bizzareo world....I can also see that for those two guys it could actually be a mutually satisfactory compromise.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

The rest of the guys are as replaceable as Slash's "band" is. If history tells you nothing, you should have at least figured this out by now. You can want them to be a band all you want, but they are in fact a bunch of Gilbys.

Well that's something I'd agree with, as legally I'd venure it suggest it's factual - my understanding is that Axl could fire them all at will etc.

The difference between us is I don't think that that situation means that there's no reason to interview them. Which I believe was your original point - that DJ isn't entitled to be interviewed because he's a contract player?

You know like Slash could ditch Myles in a heartbeat just the same way. But right now I'm interested to hear from Myles about the songs he's currently writing with Slash, and little anicdotes about Slash and making music together. Same thing for me with DJ, sure Axl could fire him tomorrow...but in the meantime...I'm open to hearing little stories about life on the road in the current GNR, and hopefully details of the music they're working on in private.

Likewise back in snakepit days...pretty sure slash could have got rid of Rod Jackson or whatever too...but I was still happy for him to come along to a slash interview and discuss stuff....the legal status of the people as bandmembers (which you see to define only as full equity partners) or employees or contract playerrs or whatever...basicly has no relevance - if their day to day lives pertain to GNR activities - such as touring with Axl, recording with Axl etc - then it's fine to interview them.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:

That's only part of the reason I don't see DJ as a good choice.  I gave several legitimate reasons. People seem to have skipped over the rest of it and focused on the one thing that seems to offend people pretty easily so they can pick a fight.

johndivney wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

People seem to have skipped over the rest of it and focused on the one thing that seems to offend people pretty easily so they can pick a fight.

brilliant

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
johndivney wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

People seem to have skipped over the rest of it and focused on the one thing that seems to offend people pretty easily so they can pick a fight.

brilliant

Sometimes you have to point out the hypocricy of people's actions. I get accused of it often enough; people need to see its a common issue for both sides.

It was brilliant.

Board footer