You are not logged in. Please register or login.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

Re: METALLICA and LOU REED: Official Web Site Launched

apex-twin wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
apex-twin wrote:

Having said all that, I find it to be a refreshingly daunting piece of work - and would say it's the most interesting thing I've heard in relation to Tallica since Justice

You cannot be fucking serious...

It's something new, and it goes completely against the grain. They're not relying on their back catalogue or someone else's. They're not trying to "re-invent" themselves and have half the band wear eyeliner. They're taking the signature sound to a new environment, not bothering with the general consensus.

The album has them, doing what they do best, in a place they've never been before. For better or for worse, I feel the effort is commendable.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I think recording a radio-ready, straight-forward (almost hard rock) record, self-titled "Metallica" is what no one expected them to do in 1990/91 and it was ballsy.

They basically said, we can come in here, do the music you don't want us to do, and we'll still sellout, we'll still make your sister hit her knees and open wide, because we're fuckin' Metallica and you're not.

I also don't think people expected them to follow up that mammoth was basically a double-album loaded with blues songs. They didn't expect that either. And although it was their UYI moment, and GNR's UYI was better... it was good stuff and gutsy.

If you feel the effort is commendable, that's fine, what i'm focusing on this the comment as "most interesting since Justice". There's no way that's possible.

And that's frankly been the problem since Reload. A covers album (no matter how good) was predictable. A symphony album was REALLY predictable as I think Scorpions or someone else (can't remember) had already done it. St. Anger was another obvious attempt to connect to a modern audience in a really CD-clusterfuckey sort of way. And then they relied on their past, Death Magnetic, to try and pull their asses out of the grave, and although it worked, the album is severly overrated. It's better than Reload & St. Anger, but it wasn't even the best rock album of 2008.

So yeah, I guess on that level this Lou Reed collab is something no one expected, but I just think the whole thing is a wasted opportunity. They wrote material that will NEVER be widely accepted, that will always be trashed, that never had a chance. ever. It might be ballsy, but how smart was it?

I'd much rather had an album with Iggy Pop doing vocals with Metallica riffs n' melodies, then having James come in for harmonies. Now that would've kicked ten tons of ass.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

16 priceless

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Rex wrote:

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Oh my fucking God... that GranpTallica shit was all time.

Holy shit 14 14 14 14 14 14 14

jamester
 Rep: 84 

jamester wrote:

Classic Rock
Metallica to headline Download and play Lulu – oh, okay, the Black Album – in its entiret

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:
russtcb wrote:

I follow Boy George on Twitter and he just tweeted like 9 times in a row about how much he likes the Lulu album.

that is so metal. 16

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

haha a couple guys at work know i'm a metal head...they go "hey did you buy the new metallica album? we didnt even know it was out"...i proceeded to play them the 30 second preview 16

the one guy goes "man i'm glad i didnt buy that cold. i would broke something"

aparently it only sold 13,000 copies out of the gate

Board footer