You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: The MLB Thread

Axlin16 wrote:

Florida Marlins pursuing SS Jose Reyes; LHP Mark Buehrle
by Steven Wine / AP Sports

k5P5xfKb.jpg

MIAMI (AP)—Jose Reyes toured the Florida Marlins’ new ballpark as a potential pillar for the franchise.

The Marlins courted the All-Star shortstop Wednesday with the tour and lunch on South Beach, team president David Samson said on his weekly radio show on WAXY-AM.

“We’re interested in making our team better,” Samson said. “To be interested, you have to be interesting, and you have to meet and get to know each other.”

The Marlins are also pursuing left-hander Mark Buehrle, who took the ballpark tour Tuesday, Samson said. In addition, owner Jeffrey Loria and a contingent of team officials plan to visit the Dominican Republic on Thursday to watch a private workout by highly regarded Cuban outfielder Yoenis Cespedes.

With the new stadium scheduled to open in April, the perennially thrifty Marlins are expected to increase their payroll from $57 million this year to about $80 million in 2012, which will allow them to be active in the free-agent market.

Along with the ballpark, new manager Ozzie Guillen might make the Marlins a more attractive option for free agents. Buehrle pitched for Guillen the past eight seasons with the Chicago White Sox.

Buehrle and Reyes are two of the top free agents, and competition for them is expected to be stiff. Buehrle went 13-9 with a 3.59 ERA in 2011, his 11th consecutive season with at least 10 victories and 30 starts.

Marlins officials first met with Reyes in New York last Thursday, shortly after the free-agent signing period began. Reyes won the NL batting title this year with a .337 average and led the majors with 16 triples despite two stints on the disabled list.

“I would certainly count him among our priorities,” Samson said.

Reyes has spent his entire nine-year major league career with the New York Mets. If he joined the Marlins, they would likely move 2009 NL batting champion Hanley Ramirez to third base.

“Hanley will be a Marlin,” Samson said. “He is the most important piece of our team, no matter who we sign. He’ll be in the lineup April 4, and it’s up to Ozzie where to play him.”

The 26-year-old Cespedes played for Cuba in the 2009 World Baseball Classic and is projected to be ready for the majors. He’s expected to receive a multiyear contract worth more than $25 million.

“He can flat-out hit,” Samson said.

Samson said the Marlins have not talked yet with Cespedes’ agent. When asked whether they’ve contacted the agent for free-agent slugger Albert Pujols, Samson declined to comment.

The Marlins will unveil a new logo and uniform at the ballpark Friday, when the franchise will officially become the Miami Marlins. Samson estimated there’s only a 1 percent chance of signing Reyes in time for that event.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Cardinals interview Ryne Sandberg, Jose Oquendo for vacant manager position
by R.B. Fallstrom / AP Sports

sandberg-iron-pigs.jpg Jose-Oquendo.jpg

ST. LOUIS (AP)—Hall of Famer Ryne Sandberg left his interview with the Cardinals confident he’s capable of filling their vacant managerial position.

“It was a comfortable conversation,” Sandberg said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press. “From my standpoint, it went about as well as it could have gone.

“It was a pleasure talking to them and I was honored to have that opportunity,” Sandberg said.

Longtime Cardinals third base coach Jose Oquendo also was interviewed on Wednesday, a person familiar with the process told The Associated Press. Both interviews took place in St. Louis, Sandberg in the morning and Oquendo in the afternoon.

The person spoke on condition of anonymity because no announcement was made.

The Cardinals have interviewed six candidates as possible replacements for Tony La Russa, who retired after winning the World Series last month. The person said no more interviews were anticipated, and a decision could come next week.

“Obviously, it’s a gem of a job,” said former Red Sox manager Terry Francona, among the candidates, in a telephone interview with the AP.

The general managers’ meetings Nov. 15-16 in Milwaukee could delay the process.

Sandberg and Francona, interviewed Wednesday in Cincinnati, are the only candidates without St. Louis ties in the mix to succeed the 67-year-old La Russa, who managed two World Series champions and guided nine teams to the postseason in 16 seasons.

Francona, who parted ways with the Red Sox after eight seasons following a September collapse, said the Cardinals gave him no timetable. Francona declined to say whether he had other interviews scheduled.

“I think everybody’s hopeful and I’m probably no different from anybody else,” Francona said. “It’s not only their right, it’s their obligation to get the right person.

“Maybe it’ll be me, maybe it’ll be some other person,” Francona said.

The Cardinals got permission from the Phillies to talk to the 52-year-old Sandberg, well-known by St. Louis fans from his playing career on their team’s biggest rival. Sandberg managed Philadelphia’s Triple-A team after four seasons managing in the Cubs’ organization, but new president Theo Epstein ruled out Sandberg as a candidate for that team’s managerial opening.

Sandberg said his interview with the Cardinals lasted a little more than two hours.

“It was cool that the Cardinals thought to put me on their list and wanted to talk to me, with my history as a rival player,” Sandberg said. “They agreed that in some ways that I would know the St. Louis Cardinals franchise, history and tradition as much as anyone else.

“I lived it on the field against them for 16 seasons,” he said.

The 48-year-old Oquendo has been the third base coach the last dozen years. He played his final 10 major league seasons with the Cardinals from 1986-95 when he was nicknamed the “Secret Weapon” in a nod to his versatility.

Chris Maloney has managed the Cardinals’ Triple-A franchise in Memphis the last five years, Mike Matheny won three of his four Gold Gloves as a catcher for St. Louis from 2000-04 and now is an instructor in the organization, and White Sox coach Joe McEwing earned the nickname “Super Joe” as a versatile substitute with the Cardinals.

After Francona left the Red Sox, there were reports players drank beer and ate fried chicken in the clubhouse during games. The Boston Globe reported the club was concerned he was “distracted,” living in a hotel while separated from his wife and taking painkillers to deal with knee operations. Francona has said his personal life didn’t affect his performance.

Getting called by the Cardinals was perhaps an indication that Francona remains a top tier candidate.

“I don’t think I want to manage just to manage, but I was excited to talk to the Cardinals,” Francona said. “I’m not desperate to manage, but I enjoy it.

Boston ended an 86-year championship drought in 2004, Francona’s first season, when the Red Sox swept the Cardinals in the World Series. Francona also managed the Red Sox to a sweep of Colorado in the 2007 World Series.

Francona is the second-winningest manager in Red Sox history with a 744-552 record and 8-0 mark in the World Series.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

I think it's an absolute fucking JOKE that Ryne Sandberg is not in consideration for the FIFTH PLACE FINISHING CHICAGO CUBS.... but IS in consideration for THE DEFENDING WORLD CHAMPION ST. LOUIS CARDINALS!

Un fucking real.

If Ryno gets the Cards job, I might have to buy a Cards hat.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

You're a Cubs fan Axlin? Thoughts on Theo?

He did a great job rebuilding the Sox depleted farm system, but his big ticket free agent signings were terrible. I hope for your sake, he changes his mindset on the free agent side of things. All in all though, I can't complain about 2 WS championships during his tenure, which he obviously had a lot to do with. Made some great trades during his time too.

Did they ever annonce the compensation part of the deal? I never heard anything.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
faldor wrote:

He did a great job rebuilding the Sox depleted farm system, but his big ticket free agent signings were terrible. I hope for your sake, he changes his mindset on the free agent side of things. All in all though, I can't complain about 2 WS championships during his tenure, which he obviously had a lot to do with. Made some great trades during his time too.

Did they ever annonce the compensation part of the deal? I never heard anything.

I don't think they did.  I think they're still haggling over compensation.  Apparently, Bud'll have to make a decision.  I think Matsuzaka might be the worst one of the FA signings.  They had to pay/win out a 50 million posting fee and had to give him a 52 million contract.  All for a guy that is essentially a 4th or 5th starter who seems to get injured annually.

OTOH, he really can't get any worse than Hendry in the latter part of his GM duties with the Cubs.  He gave Soriano that contract and signed Milton Bradley.

Interesting stuff about the Marlins.  The Buehrle and Ozzie connection to the White Sox make sense.  I think Reyes is probably gone from the Mets if he hits FA.  The Brewers are also interested.  Marlins are supposed to be interested in Aramis Ramirez as well.

On the new Marlins ballpark--I'm interested in whether or not it is a hitter's park or a pitcher's park.

Oh yeah, they should have never changed the logo.  I liked the old logo a LOT better.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

I didn't know the Marlins had unveiled the new logo? I thought the "coming out" party was tomorrow, and that's when the new look would be revealed. Everything else has been just fan speculation and photoshop jobs from my understanding.

I do think Ozzie is basically gonna build "his team". Buehrle will probably go to Miami, Reyes is virtually guaranteed. He's their kind of player.

Carlos Zambrano is pretty much a lock too. Theo talked about just bringing him back to the Cubs and dropping him down in the rotation -- that's NOT gonna happen. His goose is cooked on the North side. No way Z is in Cubbie pinstripes next season. Ozzie's gonna push hard for him.

Either way, the Marlins will probably have a better team than the Braves next season in the NL east. Still... the Phils will OWN the national league and the NL East.

As for ARam going to the Fish.... eh, we'll see. Ozzie seems to really like him all those years watching him from the South side, but I think at this point in Ramirez's career, he'd be better suited being a DH in the AL. He was always a below-average fielder (he was Soriano-HORRIFIC during his Pirates days), and he was always slower than the Earth's rotation, but has found a way to some how get Manny Ramirez slow and even lazier on the basepaths.

If the Marlins want that risk at 3B, fine. But unless a move to LF is in the future for Aramis, DH/Alternate-3B is the best option. Not sure who's looking specfically for a DH tho. I know Big Papi's gonna be the big option in that department.

faldor wrote:

I am a life long Cubs fan, oh yeah. I just don't understand why the Cubs seem to continue to cold shoulder Ryno. I frankly don't get it AT ALL. If Theo wants a "proven winner with MLB experience", I get that if they are going after Francona. But Dale fucking Sveum? THAT is who you're cold shoulder Ryne "Hall of Fame 2B" Sandberg? I don't get that at all. At all.

As for Theo, I think on the surface his moves are smart. He brings the right "Billy Beane with more savvy" mindset to the team, something the Cubs have needed for YEARS. Hendry's moves nosedived with the Milton Bradley signing. Despite the horrible Soriano signing, Hendry did put together that 97-win Cub team in 2008 that was the best team in the NL at the time. It wasn't Hendry's fault they got swept by the Joe Torre-led Dodgers in the Division Series.

But Hendry had such a man crush on Milton Bradley, it was almost frightening. Hendry basically traded away prospects for a Jake Peavy acquisition that never happened. Then traded away versitile fan-favorite Mark DeRosa to make room to sign Milton Bradley to an absurd 3-year deal for a known headcase, then turned around and completely forgot to replace DeRosa. It took into a little in the 2009 season before he grabbed Jeff Baker away from the Rockies. And Baker wasn't near the fielder that DeRosa was.

Granted Peavy never lived up to the White Sox hopes, and DeRosa was a complete and total bust for the Giants... but that's not the point. Total fluke. Hendry made huge bonehead moves, and the tide turned in Chicago.

When Hendry completely disrespected Sandberg, hired Mike Quade (who?) over RYNE SANDBERG, then didn't even have the class to tell Sandberg he was invited back to Iowa for 2011... he should've been fired immediately from the organization.

As for Theo, his "getting the band back" together from Boston is one of the more exciting things i've seen the Cubs do in my lifetime. A team known for legendary bonehead moves.

I trust Theo will make the right moves, but slighting Sandberg for Sveum & Pete Mackanin is dumb as hell. Don't get that.

Theo also doesn't have the money to work with with the Ricketts family that he did with John Henry in Boston. Theo MIGHT make a big splash by luring a guy like Albert Pujols in, but I don't really know how much Tom Ricketts is gonna give him to play with. I still think the Cubs could get Pujols, Sizemore, and maybe some off-names for pitching like Jackson and maybe some bullpen help.

So on that level I trust Theo. I just don't see Theo going out there and slamming down a shitload of money for Fielder. I think Fielder is gonna be the "dumbass of the year award" option for some team like the Marlins or Rangers looking to make a big splash.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Pirates agree to terms with catcher Rod Barajas
by AP

rod-barajas.jpg?w=320

PITTSBURGH (AP)—The Pittsburgh Pirates and veteran catcher Rod Barajas have agreed to a one-year deal with a club option for 2013.

Barajas will make $4 million in 2012 and the club holds a $3.5 million option for the 2013 season. If Barajas is traded, it becomes a mutual option. The 36-year-old hit .230 with 16 home runs and 47 RBIs last season while playing for the Los Angeles Dodgers.

The Pirates are in need of catching help after declining the options on veterans Chris Snyder and Ryan Doumit.

“They were aggressive,” Barajas said. “They gave me the feeling they really wanted me to be a part of their team. They played good baseball for four months last season and showed a lot of improvement. I thought this would be a good situation to be in.”

Barajas is one of the top power-hitting catchers in the game. He hit 33 homers the past two seasons.

“He has the combination of attributes we’re looking for, an experienced catcher with the willingness to help improve a young pitching staff and he also adds some power to the lineup,” Pittsburgh general manager Neal Huntington said.

Barajas, a career .238 hitter, has 125 home runs and 449 RBIs in 1,010 career games with Arizona, Texas, Toronto, Philadelphia, the New York Mets and the Dodgers.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Looks like Papelbon is leaving the Sox to sign with the Phillies.  He's good, but he's not THAT good.  Philly is overpaying for him, but someone always does in free agency.  That's the name of the game.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Jonathan Papelbon agrees to 4 year, $50mil deal with Phillies
by Reuters

papelbon.jpg

Nov 11 (Reuters) - Former Boston Red Sox closer Jonathan Papelbon has agreed to a four-year contract with the Philadelphia Phillies worth a reported $50 million, Major League Baseball’s website said on Friday.

The deal is pending the four-time All-Star passing a physical and includes a fifth-year option, MLB.com said.

The contract would be the largest in total monetary value for a relief pitcher, surpassing the five-year, $47 million deal B.J. Ryan signed with the Toronto Blue Jays in December 2005, the website said.

The New York Yankees’ Mariano Rivera is the highest paid reliever in annual pay. He has earned $15 million each of the past four seasons.

Papelbon, who will be 31 later this month, spent seven seasons with the Red Sox, making 219 saves after being a starter for the 2005 season. He became a free agent after the 2011 season.

The Red Sox’s closer during their run to the 2007 World Series title, he had 31 saves and a 2.94 earned run average in 63 games last season.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
faldor wrote:

Looks like Papelbon is leaving the Sox to sign with the Phillies.  He's good, but he's not THAT good.  Philly is overpaying for him, but someone always does in free agency.  That's the name of the game.

The Phillies deserve to be ripped off. No closer/relief pitcher in the history of God and man, deserves ANY KIND of deal that pays them into the double-digits per year, including legends like Trevor Hoffman & Mariano Rivera.

WHY? They are a RELIEVER! Why should a pitcher, who only has to get THREE OUTS 4-5 games a week, makes right at or more money than a Starter?

It's just a brain dead proposition to me and it always has been.

The Phils will never EVER get their money's worth out of that deal. Never. Papelbon is a VERY good closer, but anytime one of these relievers get a huge deal in Free Agency, it never pays off for the team who signed them.

Board footer