You are not logged in. Please register or login.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

Re: Gareth Rhodes Gn'R project New Video: Madagascar & Prostitute

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Bono wrote:
russtcb wrote:

Doesn't matter to me where it's posted, it's just not all that impressive to me personally.

Axlin08 wrote:

Anybody remember when the old shows in the 80's would license cover versions of popular songs at the time? Miami Vice used the real ones, but Knight Rider, Airwolf, Hunter & The A-Team would all do the cover versions.

They always sounded close to the original, but not quite there, or as inspired.

That's what this Gareth Rhodes dude sounds like. Dust N' Bones had it been on 21 Jump Street.

Seriously you guys?  You both act so bored and unimpressed with this but honestly have you heard a better acoustic version of November Rain than this? If so please post it. And you can't tell me that's not an awesome effort for Rocket Queen.

And Axlin of course they aren't as inspired as the originals. They're covers 16 And aside from D&B they are acoustic covers so what'ya expect? A Buckethead-esque solo in TWAT?

Like Monkey said it really show cases the song writing ability of Axl and others who wrote the originals.

Honestly if this was some dude you guys saw in a  bar on open mic night or something you'd be like "wow that was fucking really good" but since it's a guy on youtube it's boring and lame. Please roll  I'm not saying you have to be blown away by it but don't act hollier than thou about it.  Like doing Gn'R covers is blasphemy or something.  I honestly think you guys are missing the point here that they are covers not originals wink

I actually wasn't calling them bad. I was saying to you and everyone else, what it reminded me of in my ears.

The only issue I have with Rhodes covers is vocally it's kind of the same thing. He's a good vocalist, but think if Brent Smith from Shinedown covered GN'R songs acoustically, and every single cover sounded like the exact same thing.

It's like Shinedown's Simple Man cover. It's a Shinedown song, that's just Smith singing the Simple Man lyrics and melody. "Yeah but that's making the song there's". True, but what if Brent Smith turned around and did Freebird, Tuesday's Gone, Swamp Music, What's Your Name, etc. and sang them all the exact same way?

It wouldn't seem so impressive.

I think that's the mistake Rhodes made. I'm sure he's a great GN'R fan, and I respect him as a musician/artist, because he's good, but it's "kind of stock" at this point to quote Lars Ulrich.

He'd been better served chosing a rocker and a ballad, and that be it.

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Gibbo wrote:

[youtube]VXErwq4VGzs&feature=digest_thu[/youtube]

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Now THAT I like.

Something kinda haunting about it. Kurt Sutter should get this song to lock out Sons of Anarchy's Season 4 finale.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:

He has a real folksy voice to me.

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Gibbo wrote:

[youtube]ErqS3McbmaE&feature=digest_thu[/youtube]
Hes a freak lol

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
russtcb wrote:

Still sounds not even remotely like Axl to me.

Play the audio of that clip to any random person and who do you think they'd say it sounds like?  It is defintely "remotely close"  Maybe not to a diehard fan but to a normal person yes it is.

I thought it was pretty cool and pretty funny actually.  Can just picture Axl belting out Christmas carols 14

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

Yeah he does sound like Axl, I liked it.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
russtcb wrote:

Still sounds not even remotely like Axl to me.

Completely agree.

Sounds like someone mimicking Adam Sandler's parody of Axl.

If the general public heard that and thought it was Axl, they're fucking stupid and deaf.

Board footer