You are not logged in. Please register or login.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

Re: That Metal Show, Trunk/GN'R Discussion

faldor wrote:
Saikin wrote:
Cramer wrote:

I thought the answer about no videos with CD was total horse poo. He wanted people to really "hear it" first...yea right.

I thought it was a wonderful answer.  Same reasons Pearl Jam had for not releasing music videos. 

They wanted people to hear the music and develop their own images and ideas for what the songs are about instead of being force fed images and ideas.  I agree.  Music videos are pretty pointless most of the time.

Yeah I actually get what he's talking about.  He also kind of insinuated, or at least I took it that way, that MTV isn't what it used to be.  You used to make a lavish big budget video and it would get played on MTV for millions of people to see.  It's not like that anymore.  Yeah people can bitch all they want that people still watch videos on youtube, but it has nowhere near the impact that it used to.  Videos just aren't as viable in today's society.  So while I'd love to see GNR come out with a few, I can understand the reasons for not doing so.

jamester
 Rep: 84 

jamester wrote:

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:
Saikin wrote:
Cramer wrote:

I thought the answer about no videos with CD was total horse poo. He wanted people to really "hear it" first...yea right.

I thought it was a wonderful answer.  Same reasons Pearl Jam had for not releasing music videos. 

They wanted people to hear the music and develop their own images and ideas for what the songs are about instead of being force fed images and ideas.  I agree.  Music videos are pretty pointless most of the time.

It may have been a good answer, I just didn't believe it at all.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

I loved the end of the BBF interview.

One of TMS guys goes, "Bumblefoot - no TM at the end!"

Ron's just completely caught off-guard by it. big_smile

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Honestly.... it was a really CRUMMY interview, and not on Axl's part.

Axl fucking BROUGHT IT. You could see that Axl was sitting there waiting for the hard questions, ready to talk, ready to get detailed, and several times it came across like Axl was cut off to talk about something totally unrelated and frankly BORING. Like for example -- the Abu Dhabi thing. Axl was full blown ready to rant on that, and yet the whole thing was just breezed over. Just strange looks, never followed up on.

Same thing with the new music thing. Axl actually gave a better answer than Eddie initially said, but once again -- they didn't follow up.

I gotta be honest

None of these guys come across as fans of Guns N' Roses, short of just casual fans. The hard-hitting questions are obviously RNRHOF & new music, and it was totally breezed over.

Where in the fuck was the Slash stuff? Was this edited out? Eddie talked about how Axl just volunteered Slash stories and yet absolutely NONE were in the interview.

DJ never spoke, and obviously because new music and the future of the band was never brought up. Why was he even there unless Axl plans to have himself & DJ be the new faces of the band. Dunno.

Final thoughts: I seriously hope this interview was ripped to shreds to make the 1-hour runtime, because beyond that... it was one of the shittiest TMS/Eddie Trunk interviews i've ever seen/heard. 2006 Axl on the radio was FAR better. Real shame for the TMS crew too. Something they anticipated for 9 seasons, and to lay an egg like that. Gotta be an epic fail.

Worthwhile mentions: Axl's Frank joke was funny about setlist additions, as well as the Steven joke about 'last album'. The fondness Axl felt towards Izzy & Duff, and even Steven to an extent was touching. Axl's reasons for the lack of a CD video was horseshit, but I do agree with him that MTV has lost all relevance, so what's the point in making a video. Thought his positivity and acceptance, and somewhat "looking forward to" attitude about the RNRHOF was a HUGE plus. Really cool to see him so at ease about the whole thing. Hopefully Slash and/or Steven won't say something stupid to fuck it up.

Anyways, I really like the TMS guys, and they usually do THE BEST interviews in rock/metal, but they fucking blew this. I don't care if Uncle Axl kept you up 'til 5am... there's PLENTY of cocaine in Miami. Trust me, I know. Next time cut a few lines with Fernando or some shit, but either way... you guys are better than those shit SHIT follow-up questions.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

Far out what a bunch of dickheads these TMS guys are.  As others have said where were the follow up questions to some of the answers Axl gave? I don't mean giving him the third degree I just mean asking glaring following up questions to Axl's responses.  They were weak as piss.

Follow up type questions:

What happened in Abu Dhabi?
Would you get up on stage with Slash et al if inducted into the RNRHOH? Would you play music with them if requested?
Are you looking at writing completely new stuff with the current lineup or would you get them to tweak further existing songs you already have from the CD sessions?
Would you consider substituting more illusion songs into the set?

Etc etc etc.  These are not wanker questions either, just reasonable ones.

Shame because it's great hearing Axl talk. He genuinely is interesting to listen to and seems like a good guy. I also wanna hear what the guy has to say. Also as others said he seemed pretty open to talk about a lot of stuff and on a more in-depth level than the superficial interview provided. I felt for DJ too he must have felt like he was on a date with another couple and he had to sit and watch while the other dude gets a head job.

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:

Never seen Axl look so happy as at the end of that Miami show. Also it's great tom see him talking with the crowd again. Makes such a difference.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

Yeah it seems like he actually wants to be out there touring. It's been quite a while since we have seen that Axl. It's good stuff!

johndivney wrote:

knew the interview would be skin deep & full of fluff. called it a few weeks ago.

it was alright. axl looked good, said some interesting things & some funny things.
yea it'd have been nice to get him to elaborate on some things, but maybe if he was interviewed more often we'd get answers instead of hoping we'd get loads of info from just one interview.

dj's attendance was awkward.

a missed opportunity, again, but at the very least it was good promo for the tour.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

Hmmm.....ok?

Fun interview, but it doesn't satisfy the bloodthirsty hunger of die hards.

Abu Dabi....and? No follow up?

Could at least have asked DJ a question

Axl was on, ready to answer whatever came his way and they chickened out and didn't do the hard questions.

Board footer