You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Arcade Roses
 Rep: 5 

Re: GNRevolution Exclusive! Classic Rock Feb Mag Cover!

Arcade Roses wrote:
madagas wrote:

Neemo, I don't know why I am posting this, but Axl never said the songs he was playing would not be on the album. He only said they were not being considered for singles-not b sides, not a sides, just other songs on the album that were not being considered for singles-that is a fact from London 02. People get so confused.

*Chinese whispers.*:laugh:

I think he said not all the songs would be on the album - "Au contrere mon frère" and all that - IIRC.  I always took this as referring to "Silkworms" (experimental) and "Rhiad" (maybe a B-side, tour or just reject song?  Maybe it was just an "experimental" song too (mind you so was "Oh My God")?).

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:
Neemo wrote:

"There's been some concern. That if we play five or six new songs, then there can't that many more on the album. Au contraire, mon frère. We're just playing the songs we're not considering putting out as singles or anything. So, you'll get 18 songs, and about 10 extra tracks. And when that, when the record company feels that has run its course, then you'll get it all over again. By that time, I should be done with the third album. So we'll see if all goes well boys and girls"

Talking of Bucketheads stage presence earlier, I was at the above quoted show and Bucket had no presence at all. I was actually disappointed with the Docklands gig in general, the sound that night was fuckin terrible. When Axl gave the above speech I couldn't hear a word he said

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

if the sound was shitty the i could see anyone not being too impressed

i went to the toronto 02 show and to be honest my attention was mostly on Axl as it was my first time seeing him live ...but when solos came i was locked on either robin or BH...robin was terrible at the show i went to, he was all over the place...BH was godlike and his solo was unreal...hes soo fucking fast i couldnt beleive it, I've seen Dimebag Darrell and Kerry King of Slayer and Dave Mustaine and Slash and others live and i tell you that i never seen anything like some of the stuff he was doing

come 2006 though robin had really stepped into a lead guitarist's role..i dunno maybe he wasnt ready in 02? whatever...in 06 he was 1000 times better

Regardless though, some of the stuff you guys have been saying about this article is pretty damn bizarre..but it still doesnt change my mind that BBF seems to be a better fit for the band than BH was....yes BH is probably better as far as pure skill...but BBF has a more tradition vibe and he isnt that far removed from BH in terms of ability...i always said that Ron is a good medium between Slash and BH...a perfect fit to play the old stuff and bring in the new era 3

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Arcade Roses wrote:
madagas wrote:

Neemo, I don't know why I am posting this, but Axl never said the songs he was playing would not be on the album. He only said they were not being considered for singles-not b sides, not a sides, just other songs on the album that were not being considered for singles-that is a fact from London 02. People get so confused.

I think he said not all the songs would be on the album - "Au contrere mon frère" and all that - IIRC.  I always took this as referring to "Silkworms" (experimental) and "Rhiad" (maybe a B-side, tour or just reject song?  Maybe it was just an "experimental" song too (mind you so was "Oh My God")?).

There's no way in hell that Riyadh is a "reject song". It was on the setlist in 06-07, so that means it has its place somewhere on Chinese Democracy. If it was a throwaway track, there was no point in it being on that list 5 and 6 years after it was last performed.

...its only an album..

There's still people who haven't grasped that fact.

bucketfoot
 Rep: 4 

bucketfoot wrote:
Neemo wrote:

and did you see the band in 2002? Cuz from where i was sitting the energy in the building was electric...and BH was mezmerizing...

I was at atleast one of the shows you were at (Detroit). I'm not saying that Bucket isn't amazing because clearly he is. His work is full of emotion and I think he was a great fit for GNR, regardless of what some might say.

I was saying in terms of being very animated and "doing what Slash did" he wasn't good at it. Robin does his weird hop steps around the stage and whatnot. As much as Axl ran stageline to stageline, Slash was holding his own back in the day.

I wish Bucket was still in the band. I really do. GNR 2006 with Bucketfoot instead of Bumble would have been legendary.

Neemo

Neemo wrote:
bucketfoot wrote:

I was saying in terms of being very animated and "doing what Slash did" he wasn't good at it. Robin does his weird hop steps around the stage and whatnot. As much as Axl ran stageline to stageline, Slash was holding his own back in the day.

gotcha...but see i hate robins dance 16 bh though going nuts and not even looking like its hard to do...and on top of that not even looking at his guitar...i mean for real! yikes that is crazyness maybe its cuz i play guitar and weird things impress me? i dunno...i know alot of people think fortus is doing something crazy on stage....to each his own

bucketfoot wrote:

I wish Bucket was still in the band. I really do. GNR 2006 with Bucketfoot instead of Bumble would have been legendary.

hard to be legendary when you're playing someone else's 20 year old material without havent released a gnr album yourself hmm

AtariLegend wrote:

2007-07-15 Chiba, Japan

Part 1: http://rapidshare.com/files/75739947/Ch … _.zip.html (70 mb)

Part 2: http://rapidshare.com/files/75747421/Ch … _.zip.html (60 mb)

I beg any doubters in BBF to download this show and not say he sounds amazing. Everything that went wrong in 2006, with BBF just shredding at some shows without out emotion is put right, in this one.

As for this article...

All the new tracks i.e "Chinese Democracy", "Madagascar", "The Blues", even "I.R.S." sound different and better.

Example, "Better"- BBF owns Buckethead in this show at it.

Neemo

Neemo wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:

There's no way in hell that Riyadh is a "reject song". It was on the setlist in 06-07, so that means it has its place somewhere on Chinese Democracy. If it was a throwaway track, there was no point in it being on that list 5 and 6 years after it was last performed.

yeah and the apparent secrecy behind Rhiad since Detroit '02 is a bit bizarre, even the fact that all booots ofthe track are utter shit...it leads me to believe that the song has undergone some major changes... I wouldnt doubt if BH's parts have been scrapped and Ron has taken over full duties on it...or that Axl has made major lyric modifications instead of saying "oh-oh-oh" through the whole thing 16

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Riyadh is the song I want to hear in studio form the most right now. It was played live imo because they felt it was one of their best songs. Yet it didn't work well. Axl pushed his range live, and the band played a very hard song live, for a reason. Axl doesn't leave his comfort zone unless he really has confidence in something. Riyadh live was a failure and he probably knew he couldn't pull off vocals that high on any given night, but the fact that he tried, to me, means it is a gem in finished studio form.

We were given in '02 only songs that were among their best. '06 leaks throw everything in question though. We were expecting new songs live and we had IRS, so they played IRS. Doesn't mean it was A-listed imo. But what was debuted in 01-02 (CD, Maddy, The Blues, Riyadh, Silkworms) I believe were the real deal.

Arcade Roses
 Rep: 5 

Arcade Roses wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:
Arcade Roses wrote:
madagas wrote:

There's no way in hell that Riyadh is a "reject song".

Yeah but you are one of... how many people who likes "Rhiad"?:haha:

(No offence.  I *quite* like it myself - just don't think it's worthy of being on CD (and with all that other leaked/played material) IMHO.)  Plus it's the only BH solo I don't like (don't know why - just think too much is going on unlike in the wes 3 songs where his parts really work).

Only way it could be on CD if it was really "Oklahoma"... perhaps?:o  (Doubt it myself - but below I discuss the possiiblity of the song being "beefed up" for a future release in some form....)

Jameslofton wrote:

It was on the setlist in 06-07, so that means it has its place somewhere on Chinese Democracy.

Not necessarily.  The band (perhaps/debatably wisely) is/has openly said they won't play any more new material - and at the moment it seems even tour again - until the album comes out.  So, like "Oh My God" in 2001/(02) - that's why it still makes the setlists.  Might be a B-side then or even a heavily altered "second CD" track (like "Oh My God" is now said to be (source: 4tus e-mail)).  Just an option to throw in to pacify the fans if all else fails (as we've already heard it).  Perfectly logical IMHO.  (Remember the rumours it was played by studio as the people were entering one of the Mexico (I think the second one) shows last year?  Doubt it myself, but that's the kind of scenario I am talking about.)  Either way it being on the setlist of course does indicate it is still being "used" and is a "live" track at least of 2006 for whatever reasons.

Jameslofton wrote:

If it was a throwaway track, there was no point in it being on that list 5 and 6 years after it was last performed.

Or the agreed worst/weakest song on a movie soundtrack from 3 years ago (in the case of "OMG").:haha:  Sure bet for the much-anticipated new GN'R album "to be released in the summer of 2002".:P

Mind you yes there is a difference between just 2 years and nearly over half a decade.  Again the song is some fans' favourite though - and so that's why the option still stands (IMHO).

Board footer