You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: That Metal Show, Trunk/GN'R Discussion

misterID wrote:

The pro shot footage was from from TMS and wasn't footage from GN'R. That footage would have been much, much better.

You can hear DJ talking in bits as they're transitioning from commercial back to the show, so he does speak we just didn't get any of it.

And Axl's point about Duff being next door to him not being a coincidence was probably aimed at the hotel purposely putting them next door to each other. Duff wasn't going to London just to seek Axl out and arranged to be put in the room next to him and spring it as some big happenstance. Sorry, that shit aint happening.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

I thought, on the video, axl sounded worse than when I saw him in Atlanta, that goes back to my theory of out a loud ass show and a perfect mix to where an axl flaw isn't that noticeable.  His voice sounded weak during the versus of LALD, but, during the chorus and screams, sounded good.

Naltav
 Rep: 70 

Naltav wrote:

Couldn't see this posted anywhere.

Full show in one video with better video and audio quality:

[youtube]4XUKRZGVW6Q&feature=related[/youtube]

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I enjoyed this interview I've got to say.

I think everyone wanted Axl to do most of the talking, all the questions were aimed at him, and DJ just went with the flow. It's not like it's hard to get DJ to do an interview, he's around in the media, whereas Axl is present like every 5 years at best...so you can see the obvious importance of talking to him.

Sure there's 1 or 2 spots I would have loved some follow up questions - but I think the guys were just keen not to drill him to the point where he didn't enjoy the experience, and also they were half alseep.

Overall this was a positive thing though, I'm always interested to get Axl's perspective on what's going on with everything and here it is.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

I thought, on the video, axl sounded worse than when I saw him in Atlanta, that goes back to my theory of out a loud ass show and a perfect mix to where an axl flaw isn't that noticeable.  His voice sounded weak during the versus of LALD, but, during the chorus and screams, sounded good.

Nah that wasn't it... Axl just was weak. Simple as that.

Can't remember what I texted Russ during Orlando, but I told him live in real time that LALD was sounding like 2002, and YCBM sounded terrible, Axl of course. Then you'd have a situation where the band fucked up NR, but Axl was on. Moments like that happened.

For the most part Axl's rasp was ACTUALLY there, and he sounded awesome. The YouTube videos proved that. But there were other songs he sounded weaker on, and the TMS pro-shot shit proves that.

Has nothing to do with "great mix". 'Cause I could hear Axl 2002'ing it at times, with the mix live.

Bottom line:

Axl can't sing LALD anymore
Axl CERTAINTLY cannot sing YCBM anymore (I haven't heard a good version of this YET on the 2011 tour)
Axl sings SCOM with a clean, crisp, no rasp ala 2002

Sometimes during the outro Axl will slip into 2006-isms on SCOM, and some raspy moments will return, but for the most part Axl sings SCOM like a 2002 CD song. Some people like that. I don't, but Axl wasn't pitchy on it either.

Either way, I don't think it's about the mix. More like "bad" or "biased" ears. Some songs Axl just doesn't have it anymore. I LOVE You Could Be Mine. LOVE IT. The song was MY FIRST Guns N' Roses song. It broke me into the band. I will always love it for that. Always.

But Axl needs to drop it if he can't do it right anymore. Seems to take alot out of him. Obviously it's one of Axl's favorites, and big with the audience, plus it's one of the few UYI trx in the set. It ain't going anywhere.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I think us hardcores will notice it more than the casuals though.

If you love the songs with OCD type detail like I do then you know every nuance, and if you've seen Axl live a bunch of times, and watched hundreds of boots, then you notice parts change over the years.

Back in 88 Axl had a very strong voice in all of his range. Now he's still got a lot of power at many pitches but others he seems to avoid doing with too much intensity. Especially his lower to mid notes. He can scream out the high stuff still - but the middle parts he seems to favour his voice a little at times.

Can't blame him. Most people would be hoarse after 2 songs at the quality they are on the studio cuts. I think some of it could be damage from the past, I think some of it is age, and some of it is probably common sense - at 27 and depressed  he probably didn't give a shit if it was doing damage, but now he's very careful to protect like he should be.

For the record I'm not saying he can't sing anymore. I'm just saying there's probably isolated tracks where he can't do what he once did, or where it's not sensible to do it on a nightly basis.

Thankfully the guy was that bad ass in the beginning that even with these reductions he still puts on a killer show.

Reminds me of when Dave Mustaine was recently asked if age was making it hard to shred fast, and he said it was, that he's getting slower everyday but that thankfully he started off a long way ahead of most people...so it doesn't show.

Good news is studio Axl could still kick serious ass as there's time to warm up and really nail a particular pitch and so on and the benift of retakes of weaker parts. And hell lets face it - even live - lots of people seem to be loving the shows anyway - so i'm far from bashing - just saying to a hardcore fan the changes are evident.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

well, also, Axl has never been a fantastic spot on live vocalist, but i think that adds to the show. I don't wanna go and hear an exact replica of the CD.

Gagarin
 Rep: 50 

Gagarin wrote:

LALD and YCBM are two songs I'm no expert on - from my point of view I've NEVER heard a 'good version'. "Does this sound bad or is it supposed to be this way?" applied all the way back to the album version of LALD and all non "Live Era" versions of YCBM. I just think LALD is a weak song with weird vocals, so it's always...weird live. 'Ya got ta doo it wellllllllllllllllllllllll'. Ugh.

A strange choice for them to use on the show. Not strongest vocally or... best representative of Guns N' Roses (past or present), I think.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I think us hardcores will notice it more than the casuals though.

If you love the songs with OCD type detail like I do then you know every nuance, and if you've seen Axl live a bunch of times, and watched hundreds of boots, then you notice parts change over the years.

Back in 88 Axl had a very strong voice in all of his range. Now he's still got a lot of power at many pitches but others he seems to avoid doing with too much intensity. Especially his lower to mid notes. He can scream out the high stuff still - but the middle parts he seems to favour his voice a little at times.

Can't blame him. Most people would be hoarse after 2 songs at the quality they are on the studio cuts. I think some of it could be damage from the past, I think some of it is age, and some of it is probably common sense - at 27 and depressed  he probably didn't give a shit if it was doing damage, but now he's very careful to protect like he should be.

For the record I'm not saying he can't sing anymore. I'm just saying there's probably isolated tracks where he can't do what he once did, or where it's not sensible to do it on a nightly basis.

Thankfully the guy was that bad ass in the beginning that even with these reductions he still puts on a killer show.

Reminds me of when Dave Mustaine was recently asked if age was making it hard to shred fast, and he said it was, that he's getting slower everyday but that thankfully he started off a long way ahead of most people...so it doesn't show.

Good news is studio Axl could still kick serious ass as there's time to warm up and really nail a particular pitch and so on and the benift of retakes of weaker parts. And hell lets face it - even live - lots of people seem to be loving the shows anyway - so i'm far from bashing - just saying to a hardcore fan the changes are evident.

Listen, I knew when I went to my 2011 show, that immediately when I heard Axl singing as pristine and vintage as he was -- I was lucky. Just flat out luck. I could've just as easily gotten Rio IV-revisited.

But I disagree that us hardcores notice it more than the casuals. No I don't agree there. Maybe at a show, they don't notice.

But on TV, with real promo in 2011, YouTube videos, shit like that... I think the casuals notice it more than the hardcores. Why?

Because alot of hardcores are fananticals. Axl attracts those types of fans, especially in South America. No different then MJ, E, or Lennon. So you get what you had with Rio IV. Axl laid a fat egg, and you got people going "WOOOO, Axl's still got it"

Even Axl wouldn't agree. It was an off night. It happens.

Like you said though, good news is despite Axl's inconsistency live as he gets older and the songs get more difficult is that he has NOT lost his voice actually. In the studio, which he seems to be allergic to, Axl can still sing pieces and fragments like vintage Axl and the studio allows him to do that, and also tweak it.

That's why I think it's a crying shame he doesn't release new albums every couple years, or at least EP's alternating every year. Even if just to get his unique voice on record while he still has it.

Gagarin wrote:

LALD and YCBM are two songs I'm no expert on - from my point of view I've NEVER heard a 'good version'. "Does this sound bad or is it supposed to be this way?" applied all the way back to the album version of LALD and all non "Live Era" versions of YCBM. I just think LALD is a weak song with weird vocals, so it's always...weird live. 'Ya got ta doo it wellllllllllllllllllllllll'. Ugh.

A strange choice for them to use on the show. Not strongest vocally or... best representative of Guns N' Roses (past or present), I think.

Yes and no. LALD has never been a great live song. At all. It just doesn't transfer. Maybe some of the 1992 shows with the actual horn section recreated from the studio version... maybe. But Axl's voice was fuckin' shot in 1992 on that song. Maybe not as bad as 2002, but '92 was really the only year the song had a chance live, and Axl didn't bring it unfortunately.

YCBM is a different story. YCBM is an Appetite-reject. A glorious fuck up. A song that like Ritz '88 can be butchered alive by the band, and still be fuckin' sleazy awesome Guns N' Fuckin' Roses. Problem is -- it REQUIRES Axl's voice to be there. It was there 1991-93 & 2006 & 2010. 2002 & 2011 it hasn't and it fucks the song up. It's completely not done right. The song REQUIRES the rasp. Think about it if you hear YCBM today in 2011, and it doesn't have Slash & Duff playing it, and Axl doesn't sound like Axl... who wants to fucking hear it?

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

That's why I think it's a crying shame he doesn't release new albums every couple years, or at least EP's alternating every year. Even if just to get his unique voice on record while he still has it.

My view on it is I hope he has been recording. Even if he doesn't release anything, just get it recorded. At some point it will be released, even if it happens after he's gone.

Board footer