You are not logged in. Please register or login.

NY Giants82
 Rep: 26 

Re: Gene Simmons says ‘a good beating’ would have helped Axl Rose

NY Giants82 wrote:

I love KISS. KISS and Guns N' Roses are my two favorite bands. It's pretty much 1 and 1A for me. But I'm not sure what Gene was trying to do with his comments here.

Gene says a lot of things, and yes, it even irritates Paul sometimes. I've heard Paul take slight shots at Gene over the years over some of his comments.

Axlin08 wrote:

I also bust a gut when Axl without missing a beat said that. But I thought it was more of a slag on Iron Maiden in my memory than KISS. I remember Axl went through a feud with Bruce Dickenson. Years later Dickenson was on Eddie Trunk's radio show, and Bruce is a personal hero of Eddie's and I thought I remember Bruce running down Axl when asked by Eddie about him. This was years ago tho.

Frankly you know what the whole thing comes across as? It comes across like KISS have the same relationship with Axl & GN'R that Axl & GN'R had with Nirvana.

KISS seemingly came across as fans of GN'R and GNR's total lack of respect and interest and acknowledgement of KISS really irritated them. No different than when Axl tried to kiss up to Kurt & Nirvana and got shut down.

That's actually a pretty good analogy. I hadn't looked it from that angle.

Rather than keep digging through my skewed memory and putting words in the man's mouth, I decided to find that Donnington interview. I never got the impression that Axl was the biggest Kiss, Van Halen, or Iron Maiden fan back in the day, and he touches on all of those here.

While I've never heard that Dickenson-Trunk interview, I just listened to the Axl-Trunk interview again recently. Axl didn't really slag on Iron Maiden that night. Frankly, Eddie and the guys were asking him a bunch of goofy metal questions, and every time he'd say something like "I listened to Dr. Love back in the day", they'd burst out into a huge celebration. Heh. The part about Maiden was "Who do you like better: Maiden or Priest?", and his answer was "Priest - But I kinda liked Di'Anno-era Maiden". To which, of course, celebration rang out once again.

Moral: Axl's not the biggest fan of any of these bands (Slash wasn't either until guest appearances became his bread and butter). And Eddie Trunk's a huge dork.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

^^ Pretty much, man. Agree with everything you wrote.

Lomax wrote:

I hate when people say they like KISS. I just can't take anything else they say seriously afterwards.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
mindsmack51883 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I also bust a gut when Axl without missing a beat said that. But I thought it was more of a slag on Iron Maiden in my memory than KISS. I remember Axl went through a feud with Bruce Dickenson. Years later Dickenson was on Eddie Trunk's radio show, and Bruce is a personal hero of Eddie's and I thought I remember Bruce running down Axl when asked by Eddie about him. This was years ago tho.

Frankly you know what the whole thing comes across as? It comes across like KISS have the same relationship with Axl & GN'R that Axl & GN'R had with Nirvana.

KISS seemingly came across as fans of GN'R and GNR's total lack of respect and interest and acknowledgement of KISS really irritated them. No different than when Axl tried to kiss up to Kurt & Nirvana and got shut down.

That's actually a pretty good analogy. I hadn't looked it from that angle.

Rather than keep digging through my skewed memory and putting words in the man's mouth, I decided to find that Donnington interview. I never got the impression that Axl was the biggest Kiss, Van Halen, or Iron Maiden fan back in the day, and he touches on all of those here.

While I've never heard that Dickenson-Trunk interview, I just listened to the Axl-Trunk interview again recently. Axl didn't really slag on Iron Maiden that night. Frankly, Eddie and the guys were asking him a bunch of goofy metal questions, and every time he'd say something like "I listened to Dr. Love back in the day", they'd burst out into a huge celebration. Heh. The part about Maiden was "Who do you like better: Maiden or Priest?", and his answer was "Priest - But I kinda liked Di'Anno-era Maiden". To which, of course, celebration rang out once again.

Moral: Axl's not the biggest fan of any of these bands (Slash wasn't either until guest appearances became his bread and butter). And Eddie Trunk's a huge dork.

I absolutely agree Trunk is a metal dork. He'd probably admit that though.

Axl was supposedly a big fan of the original Van Halen, but I think he had more respect for David Lee Roth than Eddie Van Halen, and he hated the power ballad-route they took when they became Van Hagar.

Roth was a dick to him when Axl met him, then turned around and mailed him an apology letter. It was the weirdest thing.

AtariLegend wrote:

View the last few minutes of the video, sums up perfectly what Gene represents and why I cringe everytime I hear a Kiss song.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
-D- wrote:

one of my fave kiss songs from animalize

That's a fantastic song. KISS has always been one of those bands that have a few albums that are actual ALBUMS, and then they just have singles and records.

To me the only real "albums" they ever did was KISS '73 (love that album, as far as i'm concerned a rock classic), Destroyer, and Asylum. That's it.

The rest are just singles on top of singles. And if you've got a good greatest hits set from the 70's and/or 80's, it's pretty much a good chronicle of them.

I wonder at times if the reason KISS have so much of a lack of actual albums, is the reason the RNRHOF have largely ignored them. Then again the old GN'R only have three full studio LP's and they're getting nominated.

mindsmack51883 wrote:

Besides the Paul Stanley/Slash stuff that's already been mentioned, a couple things stick out in my mind..

If Axl was ever anything more than a casual Kiss fan, it had already passed by the time GNR was touring "Appetite". I remember the interview from Donnington, I think, where the interviewer asks "What do you have in common with the other bands that are on the billl (Kiss, Iron Maiden, etc)?", and Axl answered back "Hopefully nothing". I almost spit the first time I watched that - But, at a time when most of the hair metal scene praised Kiss, I can't imagine Gene finding it so funny.

Also, even after all of that, I remember reading something about Gene inviting Axl to be on his solo album "Asshole" during the hermit years, and never hearing back from him or his people. If true, that couldn't have helped feelings any.

When you really get down to it though, they're totally opposite personalities. Sometimes that's reason enough.

My fave Kiss albums:
1.Def right bout debut Kiss album so many classics on there
2.Destroyer nothing needs to be said
3. Revenge: U should really check this album out. 1992 and it is fantastic start to finish  Check out Heart Of Chrome and the ballad Everytime I Look At You.
4. Paul's solo album: u are gonna have to trust me on this one. Every song is fantastic. Torrent it and give it a listen. just great stuff.YouTube Tonight You Belong To Me. U will love it.

5.Lick It Up showcases some very underrated Gene songs like Fits Like A Glove, Dance all over your face,Young And Wasted,And On The 8th Day. Paul's gems All hells breaking loose, title track and a fantastic love song "A Million To One"

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I just couldn't get into Lick It Up, the album. I've listened to the whole thing before, and I think Gene songs are very hit and miss. When they miss, they're hard to listen to, when they hit, you get hidden gems like "Trial By Fire".

I'll check out that Paul selection though, definitely. Always thought he was a very underrated writer and vocalist.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

gnfnraxl wrote:
-D- wrote:

Like when people said jon bon jovi cussed Axl.... I don't believe that for a second.

I can't remember if Jon actually cussed Axl but remember a few years ago that David Bryan had some choice words for Axl about Axl's lateness and cancelling shows.  Did he cuss?  Not sure but I'm sure it's out there if you care to find it.

As for saying Jon is way smarter business wise than Axl.  I totally agree.  Jon doesn't have the talent Axl has and had a much greater carreer than GNR.  Although I've always thought that Jon holds himself and his band down with his radio mentality.  Some of their work on These Days or even on Jon's solo record destination anywhere are very surprising.  Jon can write some really good songs if he thinks outside the box for a bit.  And Richie's solo records especially Stranger in this town is just amazing.

Board footer