You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: What's more cheesy

Axlin16 wrote:
BLS-Pride wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

The only time names make any sense tattooed on your body is for dead loved ones, and even then... it's real trailer park.

I have a tattoo for one of my best friends who passed. I fail to see how this could be "trailer park". It's how I chose to honor his life and keep his memory. And the look on his mother and father's faces when they saw it made it worth every penny and second its on my skin.

My experience has been that only those of, let's say... less fortunate circumstances in life have really hung onto those name tattoos. They seem to sit around and brag and talk about those tattoos, like they're gonna pour a 40 on it, and talk about the homies that couldn't be here.

Yet when the person was alive, they frankly could care less and lived too fast to really reach out to the person.

But man they hold on to that name tattoo.

The point being, is that is the only time I see a real point in tattoos are the 'name tattoos', yet at the same time I don't know anybody outside the ghettos and trailer parks that do it.

Honestly.

-D- wrote:

Calling Tattoos trailer park is really really misguided.

Cmon dude

I didn't call tattoos trailer park.

I called "name" tattoos trailer park. Regular tattoos I just didn't really see a need for.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

All good stuff here.

The classics;

Barb wire
Tribal lines
Chinese symbols

are all so damn cheesy.

IRISH OS1R1S
 Rep: 59 

IRISH OS1R1S wrote:

I am a huge art fan and an even bigger HR Geiger fan, and have tattoos of a lot of his artwork (mainly his designs from Aliens). I can see how they would be cheesy to many people, but frankly I could care less what others think of it, it's what I think that matters when it comes to what I have tattoed on my body.

Now I do not have any names of friends past or even my kid, or any names for that matter on my body, but I see absolutely no cheesyness in getting your own childs name tattooed on you and would have thought that if you are a parent, that a tattoo relating to your child would be one of the best options and most meaningful.

Now your own name tattooed on yourself does seem cheesy to me.  tongue

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:

Tats are almost cliche these days. Not nearly as cool as they used to be. If everybody has 'em, then there is no appeal to me really. If you had ink work back in the 80's you were probably a badass, today you may very well be a suburban soccer mom.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

HR Giger tat's???

Now that sounds pretty fuckin' cool.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

i've always liked this one by Giger....

Li

li-hr-giger.jpg

get that sucker on ur back!

my buddy has an alien "facehugger" on his upper arm, another buddy has a giger inspired biomech person in his half-sleeve

IRISH OS1R1S

IRISH OS1R1S wrote:

I have that on my arm along with a facehugger and many more. I might post them tomorrow or the next if someone calls that can use a camers lol.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
IRISH OS1R1S wrote:

I am a huge art fan and an even bigger HR Geiger fan, and have tattoos of a lot of his artwork (mainly his designs from Aliens).

That sounds badass...I love Geiger's art it's so dark and sexual and sort of fucked up but insanely cool.

Love to see the pics if you can get them happening.

Relating to the broader tattoo discussion:

I personally don't have tatts for 2 reasons:

1. I'm a pussy with sensitive skin. I'm not worried about the pain at all but my skin is famous for reacting badly to shit. For example I'm allergic to sun screen (a problem living in australia). I put on sun block cream that any normal person does and then like an hour later my arms will develop all these bizzare fucking x-files type rashes. Freaky Shit. It's ok with a cream or something because it will wear off in a few hours. But for this reason i'm shitscared of injecting stuff into my skin forever. Like IF i had some freak reaction to it - then there's no getting it back out - and I'd be like a mutant forever.

2. I find the tatoo styles I like are ones that involve heavy tatoos. I like the look of sleves and people with serious work done. But then i'm a changable guy...so i'd have to work hard to find enough things I care about long term - there's some obvious ones - like GNR - but then I dunno there's so many sides to my personality - I'd have to be careful to balance it all out - so that it's not just what i was into the day of getting he tattoo. I guess like from an art work perspective I love how it looks - but at the same time I like to change up how I look from time to time - and that's not going to happen once I go hardcore.

I think tatts are cool though -  if the artwork is of a good standard - in terms of the skill of the person that did it - and it's also fun when there's a personal reason for the tattoo...like if it represents something to them.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

DCK are you planning one of these two tattoos or is this an academic question?

IRISH OS1R1S

IRISH OS1R1S wrote:

Sorry about the poor quality, these were taken with the camera on my phone.

The pictures really don't do the tats justice, so many little things that can't be seen in the pics and it really needs to be seen in person to see how it all joins together.  sad

IMG_0203.jpg

IMG_0205.jpg

IMG_0208.jpg

IMG_0209.jpg

IMG_0212.jpg

IMG_0215.jpg

IMG_0216.jpg

IMG_0217.jpg

IMG_0219.jpg

This is a work in progress.

IMG_0221.jpg

IMG_0225.jpg