You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Indianapolis, IN - Conseco Fieldhouse (Dec. 8, 2011)

The Black Label Society set wasn't bad, but the back-and-forth between Zakk, Bumble, and DJ on "Rosie" was awesome.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Fuck, got to see Utube with Zakk.... He is better than any player by far in GNR, holy fuck!

4 words smoking

"Black Label Society Mafia"

GET IT! 9

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
russtcb wrote:
Aussie wrote:

Looks like civil war is going to be a setlist regular, good stuff!

Yes sir. That's pretty sweet. I dig that they're moving it around too.

Also-
Zakk on stage with GN'R = OH HOLY SHIT!

I would hope so. If he can play guitar on My Darkest Days (Chad "Nickelback" Kroeger's production band)...

I would hope he could join Guns N' Fuckin' Roses on stage. Hell he was almost a member once.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

Yeah that is pretty cool with Zakk on stage at the same time. here's the videos. Play them at the same time but watch the second one with the volume down. Let the volume play on the first one.

Use this one for audio

watch this one with the volume off

It works ya just gotta work a  little to sync them with the pause button on the second video.  It's easy though and makes for a much more enjoyable experience 16

I don't wanna brag... well yes I do but I just synced them up to absolute perfection. You'd never tell the audio was coming from a different video. 14 yeah I'm bored but still it was fucking cool. Use Axl's scream at the very begining to sync and it's easy

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

Pretty cool, never thought I'd see Axl and Zakk on the same stage.

They have great energy on this song, brilliant idea bringing it back.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Zakk is another level.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Zakk and bumble together man...bad ass. Pretty sure the first few rows of people were instantly liquified from the awesome.

Between this show leaving my ass thoroughly kicked and a few other things keeping me busy over the last three days, I haven't had an opportunity to write a review until now. I planned on making a full blog  out of it, but for now, I'll just go with random thoughts..

This was actually my first time going to a show at Conseco Fieldhouse. I really liked the entire layout (Small-ish for a basketball arena; Didn't seem to have a bad seat in the house).

I also really liked the merchandise that they're selling on this tour. I ended up grabbing the red skull/dual snake t-shirt.

Black Label Society tore into their set from the get-go. That's when it started to register with me that “This is happening”. The sound/mix made the vocals hard to distinguish for awhile, but I was more focused on Szeliga's drumming. Another highlight was Zakk making reference to Dimebag Darrell during his extended solo, since it happened to be the anniversary of Dimebag's death. Even though BLS isn't one of my favorite bands, it was a good time.

A huge smile came across my face when the “Dexter” theme started, and I came to my feet when DJ's guitar kicked into “Chinese Democracy”. That was one of the coolest aspects of the experience – singing along to every word of the new songs. You could tell that only a certain segment of the audience was familiar with the newer material, but I've got to say that the ones who weren't as familiar never seemed to lose interest. In fact, the band probably could have pulled out a few more.

“Welcome to the Jungle” was another cool moment. You could almost hear the crowd over Axl during the  song.

I had my “Did I just see what I think I saw?” moment during “Mr. Brownstone”. I was in the first row at the left/diagonal side of the stage. Assuming that the lighting allowed Axl to see that particular spot, as the band was playing “Brownstone” to a close, Axl looked around surveying the crowd. Starting with the right side of the arena and stopping at my exact spot on the left. As I started doing the “We're not worthy” bowing motion, Axl smiled and nodded his head. I wasn't going to say anything about it, but my girlfriend leaned into my ear and said “Did you see that? I think Axl was looking at you”. That was definitely cool.

It was great to finally hear “Estranged” in person. That was the song that made such a huge fan years ago. It's been a long journey from then until now, and it almost felt like coming full circle. The band more than pulled the song off.

“Whole Lotta Rosie” ended up being one of my favorites. In fact, it's been stuck in my head since the show. I'd been singing/screaming most of the songs up until this point, but during “Rosie”, I (and most of the arena) came unglued. Axl's voice wailing over DJ, Bumble, and Zakk's guitar was ridiculous.

On the personal “unglued”-o-meter, “Nightrain” was probably the only song that ended up topping “Rosie”. And, when I looked around the arena, everyone else was going as crazy as I was.

As someone that's never been as big of a fan of “Civil War” as others, this performance was probably the most I'd ever enjoyed the song. I don't know if it was all the extra man-power, but it felt much heavier than I remembered. Plus, I  got a kick out of seeing all the redneck republican Hoosiers swaying around and singing about the evils of war.

“Better” is possibly my all-time favorite song. So, much like “Estranged”, it was great to finally hear it in person. Also, unlike some of the other “Chinese Democracy” songs, I could hear the people around me singing along. Maybe the single made more of a dent in this area than I realized.

Axl is such a showman that he kept my attention for most of the night, but almost every time a solo would stand out to me, I'd look over and see Bumblefoot with his knees bent, his head back, feeling his way through it. On the other side of the stage, DJ was quite the showman himself. You could tell he was pulling out all the stops for the home state crowd – Even bringing a 5 year old up onto the stage to strum his guitar during one song. He's definitely becoming GNR's second biggest name.

As for Axl, he was performing like a man possessed. After the history he's had with Indiana and all the things that he's said about his home state over the years, I wasn't sure what kind of crowd was going to show up (or if one was going to show up at all), and I got the impression that he wasn't so sure either. By the time he got through “Jungle”, “Easy”, and “Brownstone” though, all doubts had been erased. The crowd  couldn't have been more on his side. I noticed a few people leaving around 1:00am, but the ones who stuck around were completely into it. You could tell that Axl was visibly taken aback - at one point, saying “Geeze!.. Geeze!!.. Did I say say 'Geeze'?!”. Both before and after, he also made a point of saying  that “It's good to be back home in Indiana. Especially to such a warm reception. And we'll be back much sooner next time”. That's going to be the enduring highlight in my mind. The give-and-take between Axl and the crowd was something to be experienced.

It was the first GNR concert that I'd ever been to, and I couldn't have had more fun than I did. Can't wait to do it again. 9

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

cheers thats for the review!

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Great review, mindsmack!

Board footer