You are not logged in. Please register or login.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

Re: Guns N Roses OFFICIALLY inducted into Rock n Roll Hall of Fame

RussTCB wrote:

removed

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Like how metallica just released an EP to try and save face after LuLu.

Not that GNR needs to save face, but it would be cool to see little small releases if Albums are too massive projects. Even something like a song every couple of years for sale via the web or something. But I guess it's not that simple!

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

The hall is only inducting the ORIGINAL line up. As shown below.

flyer_gnr_troubadour1985.jpg

cool

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

I look at it like this

If GNR quit after UYI, would they be in the HOF? YES

If GNR's only album they ever put out was Chinese Democracy, would they be a HOF band? NO

Ali
 Rep: 41 

Ali wrote:
-D- wrote:

I look at it like this

If GNR's only album they ever put out was Chinese Democracy, would they be a HOF band? NO

How many bands do you know of that were inducted into the the RRHOF on the basis of only one album anyway?

Ali

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

^ I think D's point stands though.

Unusual or not...AFD alone would be enough to get them in IMO, and UYI sealed the deal.

Chinese Democracy is one of my favourite albums and I think maybe Axl's best work (in terms of his vocals/melodies/overall personal contribution) but if it had never had come out this induction would be happening anyway. Let's face it - in 2004 - four years before CD came out I knew that in 2011 we'd be having this discussion and I think you all did too.

As for the "original" line up being anything other than the AFD line up that's nonsense. Factually maybe right but we all know who made the albums that put GNR on the map and it's not some guy named after a garfield character or  someone called tracii or whatever.

Love or hate CD this induction is about fucking Duff, Slash, Izzy, Steven/Matt and W. Axl Rose. False modesty from Slash and others in interviews aside...this induction has been a foregone conclusion since entire football stadiums sang along to Knocking on Heaven's door for 2 years straight nearly nightly back in the 1990s.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
Ali wrote:
-D- wrote:

I look at it like this

How many bands do you know of that were inducted into the the RRHOF on the basis of only one album anyway?

Ali

Had Gn'R finished after AFD would they have be inducted into the RRHOF? In all likleyhood yes. Nirvana is going to go in based on pretty much Nevermind's success and impact alone.  The Sex Pistols went in after releasing only one album.   There's no dancing around the fact CD played no part in their induction. NONE.

It's not like Gn'R was a consideration for the Hall and then CD's release put them over the top.

monkeychow wrote:

^ I think D's point stands though.

Unusual or not...AFD alone would be enough to get them in IMO, and UYI sealed the deal.

Chinese Democracy is one of my favourite albums and I think maybe Axl's best work (in terms of his vocals/melodies/overall personal contribution) but if it had never had come out this induction would be happening anyway. Let's face it - in 2004 - four years before CD came out I knew that in 2011 we'd be having this discussion and I think you all did too.

As for the "original" line up being anything other than the AFD line up that's nonsense. Factually maybe right but we all know who made the albums that put GNR on the map and it's not some guy named after a garfield character or  someone called tracii or whatever.

Love or hate CD this induction is about fucking Duff, Slash, Izzy, Steven/Matt and W. Axl Rose. False modesty from Slash and others in interviews aside...this induction has been a foregone conclusion since entire football stadiums sang along to Knocking on Heaven's door for 2 years straight nearly nightly back in the 1990s.

Exactly what Monkey said other than the bold underlined part.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Ali wrote:
-D- wrote:

I look at it like this

Ali

Sex Pistols

A GN'R influence too.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Guys

GNR hadn't released an original studio album in 17 years

Radio stations, EVERYBODY was giving this the royal treatment.

STILL

Not even a number 1 rock single.

STP released an avg song "Between The Lines" after years apart and the damn thing broke records for number of adds. Chili Peppers came out with Rain Dance Maggie which is an OK song.. and it hit number 1....

That is the BIG indictment.

U HAVE TO PUT UR FANDOM ASIDE

Sure, to us, Axl could release a bluegrass album and we'd treat it like Darkside.

When u lay it all out. CD was a catastrophic failure.  Do i love it? Yeah but my opinion means shit.

Ali
 Rep: 41 

Ali wrote:
Bono wrote:
Ali wrote:
-D- wrote:

I look at it like this

Ali

Had Gn'R finished after AFD would they have be inducted into the RRHOF? In all likleyhood yes. Nirvana is going to go in based on pretty much Nevermind's success and impact alone.  The Sex Pistols went in after releasing only one album.   There's no dancing around the fact CD played no part in their induction. NONE.

It's not like Gn'R was a consideration for the Hall and then CD's release put them over the top.

The Sex Pistols are the EXCEPTION not the RULE.  The arguments about what would have happened with GN'R with only AFD and Nirvana are completely moot because the fact is that the old GN'R and Nirvana did NOT release only studio album.  So, it's impossible to know what would have happened.

My point was not to "dance around" that CD played no part in their induction.  My point was, and still stands, that the vast majority of artists inducted did not release only one studio album by which they are judged.  Therefore, judging whether or not a band would've been inducted on the basis of one album is unlikely to begin with based on the sheer statistics currently available.

Ali

Board footer