You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: Live At The Joint - Las Vegas, NV (Dec. 30th, 2011)

misterID wrote:

I SERIOUSLY hope that isn't "Hello." Damn you, Russ......

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Gibbo wrote:
gibbo wrote:

This needs to be a bit faster i reckon

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Gibbo wrote:

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

After watching some of these videos, I gotta say it. Axl sounds fucking terrible.

Gagarin wrote:

I think the timbre (or lack thereof) is covered up by the warmness of the venue and huge ass amplification employed therein.

The thing is, I really don't think he sounds terrible.

The guy is nearly 50, and has very difficult songs to sing. Yes he seems to be a bit more Barry Gibb in places, and definitely not as strong as 2010, but he was better at this first Joint show, than he was at the LA Forum, and he was FAR better at the Joint than at Rio IV.

Alot of the performances remind me of his 2006 voice. Helium mixed with rasp, although some performances were weak. The Joint was a strange show. Songs that were normally strong like Whole Lotta Rosie, were weak, and songs like YCBM which are consistently weak, were surprisingly strong.

The biggest and most obvious missing element in Axl's voice at the Joint is POWER. It seems to be very lacking. He seems to locate enough rasp mixed with Bee Gees to turn in a good show, but you can hear how hollow his voice is, and how winded he is at times. I'm shocked the Joint wasn't worse than the Forum.

Is it Orlando or Miami and some of the early shows on the tour? No. Axl was far stronger there, and that mid-point of the 2011 tour seemed to be where Axl was at his strongest this year.

But I think the Joint was still a solid show, and very much THE pro-shot to watch of the 2011 pro-shots. We GN'R fans haven't had multiple pro-shots in a year since 2006.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

Does anybody, or can anybody figure out what jam Ron & Richard play to intro Paradise City?

It's bugging the hell out of me, but I could SWEAR that it's a Rolling Stones song.

Very simple...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfHOQAT0-Mk

[youtube]zaAWOVsouWg&feature=related[/youtube]

I think Ron & Richard's PC intro has

Shades of Monkey Man's instrumentals imo

johndivney wrote:

monkey man is p much the best stones song not called dead flowers

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

The biggest and most obvious missing element in Axl's voice at the Joint is POWER. It seems to be very lacking. He seems to locate enough rasp mixed with Bee Gees to turn in a good show, but you can hear how hollow his voice is, and how winded he is at times. I'm shocked the Joint wasn't worse than the Forum.

See that's exactly why I think it sounds terrible. It's not Axl without a good dose of power in the vocals. He just sounds very weak right now. Would be fine if he retires from touring and focuses exclusively on studio material before his voice is completely shot.

Ali
 Rep: 41 

Ali wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

After watching some of these videos, I gotta say it. Axl sounds fucking terrible.

Gagarin wrote:

I think the timbre (or lack thereof) is covered up by the warmness of the venue and huge ass amplification employed therein.

The thing is, I really don't think he sounds terrible.

The guy is nearly 50, and has very difficult songs to sing. Yes he seems to be a bit more Barry Gibb in places, and definitely not as strong as 2010, but he was better at this first Joint show, than he was at the LA Forum, and he was FAR better at the Joint than at Rio IV.

Alot of the performances remind me of his 2006 voice. Helium mixed with rasp, although some performances were weak. The Joint was a strange show. Songs that were normally strong like Whole Lotta Rosie, were weak, and songs like YCBM which are consistently weak, were surprisingly strong.

Is it Orlando or Miami and some of the early shows on the tour? No. Axl was far stronger there, and that mid-point of the 2011 tour seemed to be where Axl was at his strongest this year.

But I think the Joint was still a solid show, and very much THE pro-shot to watch of the 2011 pro-shots. We GN'R fans haven't had multiple pro-shots in a year since 2006.

The lack of "power" you speak of is a result of using more of his head (some mixed head-chest voice too) voice to reach the upper notes as opposed to straining his chest voice or his mix voice (as Brett Manning calls it).  The head voice will always be lighter and more airy than any chest voice for anyone.  It's how he keeps himself from damaging his voice with these songs and such long shows over months of touring. 

As far as his breath support, it takes more air to support your voice properly when you sing in your upper register than in your lower register.  When you combine that with all the on stage movement, yeah, it's gonna be hard to have great breath support all the time.  But, if he wasn't getting enough air, he wouldn't be able to hold notes like the last one in the last chorus of "This I Love" at the Forum.

Ali

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Board footer