You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: I wonder if Axl is more critical than us.

Lomax wrote:

Scraped?

He pratically lays the whole thing out in scraped "Sometimes I feel like
My life's a catastrophe
Can't understand why
It seems like it has to be"

and the other positive one "Sometimes I feel like
It's all opened up for me
Nothing's impossible
I am inconquerable"

Faster
 Rep: 3 

Faster wrote:

Oh absolutely. Its just strange the idea of a guy yelling 'why don't you fuck off' each night is feeling unsure of himself underneath. I don't mean the guy supplying the anger of those songs, as that would make alot of sense as to where the anger of GNR comes from, I mean simply in terms of performance - everything about Axls style on stage oozes absolute confidence, and it has to really.

I have always wondered if a big reason for Axls lateness is simply that he really has to psyche himself up, I mean imagine coming out and having to blast out Jungle and half-assing it, feeling unsure of yourself, the whole thing would fall apart. If he needs to get himself to a point where he is ready to power through anything, feel like he can take on the world, it would explain why the tiniest things (sound issues, fans etc) can piss him off as he has finally got himself to where he needs to be and then something else knocks it all of course.

I've not actually seen RIRIV though, so have not seen Tommy reassuring Axl he sounds ok or why he would feel he had to do so, but I have heard that at points in the show Axl looked really down on himself?

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Gibbo wrote:
DCK wrote:

Regarding the clips. I think he cant hear himself well on the second one. The thread is right though

Yer that's pretty much what he says in a couple of songs just before sorry

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Faster wrote:

Oh absolutely. Its just strange the idea of a guy yelling 'why don't you fuck off' each night is feeling unsure of himself underneath

Well, Axl's rage seems to come and go. Like if you listen to the trunk interview there's hours of him being a funny, fun, clam and good natured, even with the surpise guest and so on. I think that's his normal way - but that occasionally when something upsets him it upsets him HARD and in those moments he has a real depth of anger.
What is that lyric in perfect crime "Don't fuck with the bad side of me".

Of course that's all speculation, but that's what it seems like from the available facts. So i think sometimes the harsher lyrics like that and shotgun blues and that kind of thing, probably true in the moments they are penned..but in terms of being true every moment...you'd have to get yourself to the place where you have controlled access to those feelings before you go on stage. Or that's how I'd do it anyway. But I am wildly speculating.

As for RIR4. It's not a big deal. Just at the end of one of the songs the mic catches tommy say something like "aww man, I've not seen you in months and I thought it sounded great" or something like that. So even that's speculation but it sounded like a response to Axl saying something along the lines of that he was singing better last week in private or some kind of criticism of his own sound that night.

As for the clip though...if there was sound issues later in the show then maybe I'm totally off and he's just gesturing to an engineer to raise his ear monitor or something.

In any event though I do think maybe Axl holds himself to incredible standards.

And at the risk of a fan boy remark: I hope he realises how much joy his music brings to the lives of people like me!

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

2006 Axl was an absolute fucking in shape venom spewing BEAST!!!!!!

He needs to get himself back into that shape. that Axl could take back over the world.

2nd intro did suck compared to the first one.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Yeah..i think the instrumental line up now is better than 2006 (frank, DJ etc) but 2006 Axl had some serious badassness to his look and power in the voice. I'd love to see a hybrid GNR like that.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I kept telling my friends who were at the Orlando show that and were absolutely blown away.

They thought Axl was killer, and he was (probably the best few shows of the entire tour were those Southeast U.S. shows, at least Axl-wise); great spirits, the voice was on... I still swear This I Love in Orlando was the best the song has ever been performed in the band's history. I think quite a few here at Evo were stunned at how fucking amazing Axl sounded on it.

But I kept telling them how Axl was so good in 2006 also. Although 2011 Axl was in better spirits, talking to the audience, having fun, smiling, fucking with Frank, just loving being alive... and vocally he was fucking on in Orlando, but there were still off-moments. LALD, YCBM, Blues, a couple others were 2002 Axl.

But 2006 was a different Axl. He was colder, but he was just a sight to see in 2006. A lean, mean, fighting machine. Seemed to be his last "cool ass rock star" moment. It's not so much that he can't get rasp now, nor that he didn't hit it in Orlando. Orlando 2011 Jungle > Tampa 2006 Jungle.

But like I said in another thread, Axl seems to lack POWER these days. The strength of the voice is hollow, and tired, almost like he could lose it at a moment's notice.

2006 Axl was POWERFUL. Although not as consistently raspy as in 2010, the power was more consistent. Axl's voice never wavered in 2006, and the added bonus in 2006 was that Axl was running around on stage, busting his ass old school Axl-style, yet still just hitting those notes with no problem. 2011 Axl couldn't dream of that. Granted he's 5 years older too, so I don't want to come across as mean on the guy.

I just think looking back that 2006 was Axl's last "young, lean mean rock star" moment. He won't get it back.

It's all the more tragic, just like Axl's wasted youth/prime in the mid-to-late 90's, that a 2006-07 rollout of CD worldwide with THAT Axl, would've been something incredibly special to see.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

As for Axl himself as referenced in this thread...

I think Axl Rose is Axl Rose's toughest critic. I can relate. I absolutely torture myself on decisions, and when things don't work the way I want or sculpted them to. Even though it's almost ALWAYS out of my control, I still blame myself and eat at myself and burn myself over those moments so much, that I regress and tuck away, losing motivation to "keep trying".

That's Axl Rose

In a nutshell:

Maladaptive Perfectionist
Nobody is more critical of Axl than Axl
Has a short fuse for poor execution on ANYTHING

jmho

Gagarin
 Rep: 50 

Gagarin wrote:

Wow, dude.
I thought he was like 'can't hear myself' - but this is the same gesture (with a thumbs up) that you found. Wow. Good eyes.

Ali
 Rep: 41 

Ali wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

I kept telling my friends who were at the Orlando show that and were absolutely blown away.

They thought Axl was killer, and he was (probably the best few shows of the entire tour were those Southeast U.S. shows, at least Axl-wise); great spirits, the voice was on... I still swear This I Love in Orlando was the best the song has ever been performed in the band's history. I think quite a few here at Evo were stunned at how fucking amazing Axl sounded on it.

But I kept telling them how Axl was so good in 2006 also. Although 2011 Axl was in better spirits, talking to the audience, having fun, smiling, fucking with Frank, just loving being alive... and vocally he was fucking on in Orlando, but there were still off-moments. LALD, YCBM, Blues, a couple others were 2002 Axl.

But 2006 was a different Axl. He was colder, but he was just a sight to see in 2006. A lean, mean, fighting machine. Seemed to be his last "cool ass rock star" moment. It's not so much that he can't get rasp now, nor that he didn't hit it in Orlando. Orlando 2011 Jungle > Tampa 2006 Jungle.

But like I said in another thread, Axl seems to lack POWER these days. The strength of the voice is hollow, and tired, almost like he could lose it at a moment's notice.

2006 Axl was POWERFUL. Although not as consistently raspy as in 2010, the power was more consistent. Axl's voice never wavered in 2006, and the added bonus in 2006 was that Axl was running around on stage, busting his ass old school Axl-style, yet still just hitting those notes with no problem. 2011 Axl couldn't dream of that. Granted he's 5 years older too, so I don't want to come across as mean on the guy.

I just think looking back that 2006 was Axl's last "young, lean mean rock star" moment. He won't get it back.

It's all the more tragic, just like Axl's wasted youth/prime in the mid-to-late 90's, that a 2006-07 rollout of CD worldwide with THAT Axl, would've been something incredibly special to see.

I think there is a lot of revisionist history concerning 2006.  I think he can still hit the high end notes, but he doesn't sing the same way he did in 2006.  Could he deliver the same power behind his voice that he did in the past?  Yes, I think he could.  But, there is a danger in that as well as in forcing your chest or mix voice to hit notes it shouldn't be hitting, as well as in singing with a closed throat to get that raspy tone. 

I think he chooses to sing differently so as to preserve his voice and not do damage.  While some may like the sound of that raspy tone, it is NOT good for your voice to intentionally try and induce it.  Neither is pushing your voice too hard to get volume/power behind it.

Ali

Board footer