You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Re: 50 Greatest Guitar Solos, NME - The Winner is...

Mikkamakka wrote:

http://www.nme.com/list/50-greatest-gui … 704/page/5

1 Guns N' Roses - 'Sweet Child O' Mine'

Slash's solo is a masterclass in build-up, managing to get progressively more exciting with each pitch-perfect Les Paul squeal - the perfect foil for Axl Rose's high pitched rawk squall. Not bad for a song that started life as a rehearsal room piss-about.

johndivney wrote:

wow nme get something right for a change. shocking!

the bends tho? wtf?!

AtariLegend wrote:

I despise NME it's all commentary posted in a certain way to appeal to a certain student demographic to look hip and young. The Edith Bowman and Zane Lowe types.

NME types don't have opinions of their own, not much better than the Dragonforce are greater than Led Zep. Kerrang target audience

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:

Just heard scom on the local radio, except it was that bastardised radio edit, made me so angry I felt like writing a stern letter to them!  Why bother playing half a song, 4

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Faster
 Rep: 3 

Faster wrote:

Didn't Axl once say his favourite part of SCOM was the first guitar break?

I have to admit that as a kid it was the second half of that song that got me into music. I can pretty much trace every artist I like, from music to film to books all the way back to that moment, it made me realise there was stuff out there that excited me and was not just background.

Now its not something I play too often but every now and then I do catch it and remember how special it is.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
russtcb wrote:

Comfortably Numb is the best solo of all time.

The solo outro to Freebird is the best solo of all time.

Matter of fact the whole song is the pinnacle of anything that ever was or ever will be recorded on guitar.

LEGEN....

DARY

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I would've given my left nut to hear the GN'R 1992 UYI band record a cover of that.

johndivney wrote:

nightrain is the greatest guitar solo of all time
whipping post from the fillmore east is the next greatest guitar solo of all time

then SCoM, obv
or maybe TWAT(!)
well TWAT's the solo of this century. not much competition tho sadly

i do get what axl means about the first SCOM guitar break/solo. that section is just blood on the tracks, heavy in the best possible way. the second is a screamer of course. but it's splitting hairs really.

Board footer