You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Duff: Quit Whining About SOPA and PIPA

Lomax wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

But as for CD's, growing up I lived in a rural mining area.

Off-topic but that sounds like an awesome way to grow up!

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
johndivney wrote:

sad to hear this crap coming from the duffer

That's when you know your favorite artist is no longer "against the world" and is actually part of the Establishment. When fucking Metallica started going after college kids, I think we all died a little inside. The underground Metallica wouldn't have taken the same position as the rich d-bags 15 years later.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
TheMole wrote:

Not a conspiracy theorist at all usually, but this is very strange and disturbing in light of the recent megaupload crackdown.

http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/permali … 21airvinyl

Makes a lot of sense. There are literally dozens of sites similar to MegaUpload and none of them were shut down. You have to ask why. The business model MegaUpload wanted to pursue would cut out the middle man (record labels and music stores). Music industry won't allow that.

Lomax wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
johndivney wrote:

sad to hear this crap coming from the duffer

That's when you know your favorite artist is no longer "against the world" and is actually part of the Establishment. When fucking Metallica started going after college kids, I think we all died a little inside. The underground Metallica wouldn't have taken the same position as the rich d-bags 15 years later.

Yep. Should have guessed that one when he opened that investment firm but yeah. He's another sock puppet now.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Yeah but what would underground Metallica have done if they caught you pick-pocketing the cassette they were selling on a table at the back of a gig?

Mustaine would probably have head butted you in the face.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Yeah but what would underground Metallica have done if they caught you pick-pocketing the cassette they were selling on a table at the back of a gig?

Mustaine would probably have head butted you in the face.

Copying is not stealing. It's just copying.

The proper analogy would be "would old school Metallica beat you up for taping a song of theirs off the radio". That's basically what it is.

It's all bullshit anyway, I mean those of us who upload music and share with others mostly buy the music in the first place. We share with people because we love the music. This shit is getting out of control, I understand that it pisses band. singers or whatever off, but they aren't losing as much money as they complain about, besides after someone downloads some artist music there's a good chance they will actually buy it.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Copying is not stealing. It's just copying.

That is true for the honourable people that then go and pay for everything they copied.

However in the instances where this doesn't occur, you have taken for free a product produced by an artist who wanted to be paid for it. Call it what you want but it's immoral.

Radio taping wasn't as bad because the copies were inherently inferior to vinyl (and subsequently CD) so it didn't discourage legitimate purchases to the extent that torrenting a lossless exact replica of a professional product someone else bought does.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
russtcb wrote:
Slash_McKagan wrote:

It's all bullshit anyway, I mean those of us who upload music and share with others mostly buy the music in the first place. We share with people because we love the music. This shit is getting out of control, I understand that it pisses band. singers or whatever off, but they aren't losing as much money as they complain about, besides after someone downloads some artist music there's a good chance they will actually buy it.

I was thinking about this again today. I ordered the new Van Halen on vinyl which I can only get through Live Nation and is priced $55 which is roughly $25 more than any other double-180 gram vinyl from any other new artist out there.

I was close to ordering the CD as well but stopped and decided I'd just torrent the album the Friday before it's released. If the vinyl had been priced in line with the rest of the records released today, I would've gone ahead with the CD as well but fuck that. You can't way over charge me for one format and expect me to buy a second.

You're crazy for even considering it. Vinyl should come with a download in at least 320 kbps quality, if not lossless. In fact, I've seen some of them sold with a download included.

Board footer