You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Xbox720 to Block Used Game Playing?

monkeychow wrote:

Also the reason its ok to sell your vinyl and not your itunes is that you don't keep a copy of your vinyl when it's gone.

Same with office. If it's on your computer and you use it - then selling it is bad - but in games that require the disk to play - when it's sold you don't have it anymore.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I've been reading that they may be coming up with a system that forces places like Gamestop, who this whole thing is probably aimed at, to make them purchase downloads for every used game they buy and then re-sell, forcing them to pay royalties to the game companies. That's the rumor, anyway.

AT the end of the day used games will probably cost more but won't disappear.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Personally i think if they were looking at removing second hand games they'd want to make the original prices more reasonable.

It's currently $118 for a new release game at my local store.

At that price I can only afford absolute favourite titles new and get random games at $30-50 used after about a year after release. Or $70 about 6 months after.

If they're going to get revenue from every game user for the life of a disc not just the first purchaser...they could make the initial price drop to something more affordable.

I go like games...but the amount of DVD/Bds i can buy for the same investment is starting to dissuade me from purchases.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

I've only just upgraded to a Wii, I've bought Zelda brand new and a few other games pre-owned.
My last console was a PS2 and every game I own was bought brand new, the reason I bought them brand new was cause I was sure of the quality, now I'm just so weary of gaming I'm not prepared to fork out on brand new games unless they really float my boat. Gonnie invest in a PS3 soon, cant see myself buying many new games, infact I mean to borrow most of my brothers.
If they kill off the choice, that'll be the end of me and gaming, modern games just dont appeal to me as much as they did when I was younger,so if its a case of buy new or nothing, I'll take nothing.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Yeah I feel the same.

I think a lot of "casual gamers" like me would just like take up something else to do.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

It's currently $118 for a new release game at my local store.

You have to be kidding me. That's extortion.

IRISH OS1R1S
 Rep: 59 

IRISH OS1R1S wrote:
Axl S wrote:
IRISH OS1R1S wrote:

Rental is going to be dead on all the next consoles I reckon. We can already see the big companies like EA and Ubisoft using those stupid online passes that are tied to only one console, so if a mate borrows your game the online won't work for him. This is where all the developers are heading I'm afraid.

Or he could pay like 5 Dollars/Pounds (whatever it ends up being) to play online... the online pass don't tie the discs to one console, they just give you access, that's why it's called a pass. Each game comes with one, and if you need more need pay.

Anyway on the subject of tieing discs to consoles and basically blocking used games... that's really stupid. It makes the console an instant no-buy for me.

It's not the point of a pass only costing $5, it's more like €12 here, but I digress. It's about charging for shit that has always been a standard in your original purchase since the industry began. Now they charge you for online passes and dlc thats already on the disc in most cases, but has to be unlocked by buying the dlc that is no more than a key to open the shit on the disc ffs.

Now if that's not bad enough, we have the big hitters starting this yearly fee "elite member" shit. When is enough enough. Most of these things should come on the original disc you purchased. €15 for two or three extra maps or armor for a goddamn horse, seriously?

You see it starts out small and the next thing everything in the game is gonna be micro transactions, or worse and more likely in the not to distant future, subscription based.

IRISH OS1R1S
 Rep: 59 

IRISH OS1R1S wrote:

Monkey,

Your in Austrailia aren't you?
Are your sytems pal, can they play European games? If so you should import, $118 as Axl S has said "That's extortion."

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Thanks guys.

I think I probably could import games, I think sony locks blu rays but that there's no region locking on ps3 games, although I know someone who had an international disk and had issues getting the DLC from the local store or something. But I should look into it as our prices are insane.

Once upon a time bad prices in Australia made sense...it's a long way to ship products and so on, and we do have a small population, but these days with the net and global shipping and considering everything is made in asia anyway, it's probably closer to get it to us, so IMHO it's basically just a case of robbing us blind because they think we're too stupid to notice the prices for everything electronic are insanely lower overseas.

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:

Bringing the thread back from the dead...

I usually follow this industry expert on gaming:
http://www.gametrailers.com/shows/pach-attack

He says a lot about used games and market tendencies, and he's consistent on saying it's never going to happen. Stores like Best Buy. Gamestop and Walmart are the main sellers of consoles and discs, so it would be a shot in the foot to cause any stress between MS/Sony and retail.

He also mentions that digital distribution is blocked mainly by retail, since they have a minimum price established on contract, so you cannot sell on Xbox Live or PSN for less than the price they charge at the stores.

Board footer