You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Rock of Love exposed as a scam

James wrote:

According to World Entertainment News Network, POISON singer Bret Michaels' hit new reality dating show, "Rock of Love with Bret Michaels", has allegedly been exposed as a sham '” the girl he picked to date was already in a committed relationship.

The rocker picked Jes Ricklett as his mate in the show's high-rated finale last month, but the pink-and-white haired stylist apparently revealed that she had no plans of having a real romance with Michaels '” she dashed off to be with her boyfriend as soon as taping finished.

And, to make matters worse for Michaels, Ricklett's real man, Chicago-based designer Joe Quade, has started poking fun at the POISON star on his MySpace page, writing "[Jes] wants to deal with real fans, not losers . . . If you're not creepy and just want info on the clothing line or to see pics of Jes with a real man that still has his real hair, then thank you for your interest."

Ricklett tells the National Enquirer she had no intention of becoming the girlfriend of a faded rock star when she auditioned for the hit show.

She says, "Someone found me and wanted me to audition for the show, so I did.

"To be honest, I wasn't going on there looking for love. I was kind of like, 'Let's see if I could promote myself.' That's pretty much why I did it."

---------------------

How many more of these "reality" shows have to be exposed before people realize its all fake? Or has our culture reached the level where it doesn't matter whether something is real or fake?

If this reality genre doesn't fade away soon, our society needs to have some town hall meetings that are shown on national tv discussing how we have all dumbed ourselves down to this point, and why we as a nation feel we must subject ourselves to the lowest common denominator. I'm being serious. Something has to be done about this, and its been plaguing our culture for years and continues to get worse.

Millions watch this crap, and some of them post here. I mean no offense by this post, but something is clearly wrong with our society as a whole that we are subjected to this crap week in and week out, and I would imagine fans of these types of shows can admit that.

So my question to "reality" lovers: What's the attraction to something that bills itself as real but is 100% fake? Is it the has been celebrities seeking one last 15 minutes, or talentless wanna be actors and models who will do anything for a dollar and a few minutes on tv? Or is it the fake sex and relationships?

I seriously have never understood our culture's obsession with this genre.

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:

I have to agree on this one, though my girlfriend certainly wouldnt. She watches all the crappy reality shows one after another. I've never understood why people tune in daily to watch someone else live their life.

"Big Brother" made a fatal mistake last summer and I finally thought that would see the end of the show. It didn't of course, the 50,000 complaints about Jade Goodys comments weren't enough to have the show axed. Quite the opposite, Big Brother received worldwide press coverage and the show continued on its merry way ~ promising fame and delivering sweet f.a.

If people are foolish enough to take the bait and actually spend money voting on one of these shows then why would the TV company stop producing them? I know I wouldn't, I'd make more and more crap TV shows providing it kept my pool heated during the winter 14

James

James wrote:

I agree that the producers wont stop making them as long as people will continue tuning in. My question(and I've wondered this for years) is what causes people to tune in in the first place?

Considering how low these shows are willing to go, how much lower can it possibly get until our society has said enough is enough? Admitting its fake doesn't cause society to blink an eye, so what will? Death, or will that just make them tune in even more?

Like I said in my earlier post, there needs to be a national debate about this genre and why its so appealing to people.

James

James wrote:
downliner wrote:

I've never understood why people tune in daily to watch someone else live their life.

They're not living life though. Its a script from some hack writer.

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:

I agree that the producers wont stop making them as long as people will continue tuning in. My question(and I've wondered this for years) is what causes people to tune in in the first place?

Considering how low these shows are willing to go, how much lower can it possibly get until our society has said enough is enough? Admitting its fake doesn't cause society to blink an eye, so what will? Death, or will that just make them tune in even more?

Like I said in my earlier post, there needs to be a national debate about this genre and why its so appealing to people.

I guess the reason people tune in is simply out of interest. The opening show of a new reality series always has the highest viewing figures simply because people want to see who will be occupying the tv channel for the next few months. Women are stereotypically more interested in "the celeb lifestyle"and will want to tune in so they can discuss with friends who these new "celebrities" are. Most guys don't mind watching it providing there are a couple of hot women to ogle at.

If on the opening night everyone who tunes in finds something worth watching (be it some hot chick, possibility of huge arguments erupting etc) they will tune in again. To keep people watching the show, aswell as talking about it, they just edit footage to there needs. If the footage isn't up to scratch they pull stunts like removing alcohol from the house to ensure they have something worthwhile showing.  If they get footage of a ten second argument they turn it into a trailer inviting people to tune in for the "full argument",  each continuing episode leads nicely into the other with storylines from previous years rehashed into it and passed off as a fresh idea.

Sorry I'm babbling now, but this shit really pisses me off too 14

Yeah but the article is say the chick Jes was a scam not the show.   Now I don't disagree that reality shows can be partially scripted or completely scripted.  The article here isn't saying the show was a scam, she was the rock of love, she was the scam.   She never wanted to be involved with him, although you'd never know it by her tounging down with him the way she was but I guess that was all part of her promoting herself, I guess her boyfriend allowed that aye.   

I dunno, I am not saying the show was on the complete up and up but I like reality shows and will continue to watch them. 9

briggsy
 Rep: 19 

briggsy wrote:

I always thought she looked konda like C.C and thats why Bret picked her tongue

Oh I couldn't help but think of CC, I wonder if she did that on purpose.

Abbey_Road
 Rep: 16 

Abbey_Road wrote:

I guess Bret Michaels is going to also be on Rock of Love 2.

http://blog.vh1.com/2007-10-09/rock-of-love-2-rocker/

Is he that hard up to find a chick?

I guess that means he'll never end up with Heather 4

I am going to try not to watch this cuz it loses it's originality doing the same thing again.

Key word is try cuz I can see myself getting hooked again..LOL

Board footer