You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Roseland Ballroom, NYC 02/10/12

Sky Dog wrote:
dave-gnfnr wrote:

The other thing is, if he is going to try and write rock n roll songs again why do it with a wanna be slash (aka DJ), why not just get Slash Izzy and Duff back and make the rock album with them.

Its really too bad axl waited so long, he could have done something speical with those three albums with BH, Robin and Brain.

Just think he would have done the whole three cd thing wiht that band from 2002-2011 then the RnR HOF with the old band and finish off his career with the orginal guys

I would have liked that.....for the record. And for the record, I want the rest of Chinese before an album with DJ.

dave-gnfnr
 Rep: 16 

dave-gnfnr wrote:

Oh I agree i want all that BH era stuff, untouched. Then let the BBF and DJ songs come.   I dont want them anywhere near the BH stuff

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I just want to say that I was incredibly fucking pissed no new stuff was revealed at Rio IV.

I thought that was VERY telling then, and now, how little Axl was moving towards new material at all. He acts like he's had to "put the band back together all over again", which is bullshit. They only lost one guitar, which has been in the band for two years now, and Ron is going on 6 years.

Nothing from the vault was played, not even a remixed version of Oh My God.

I would LOVE to add GN'R to the list of already great rock albums slated/released in 2012... but a reunion is more likely at this point. I haven't seen anything even leaning towards another album, despite how much the band has begged him to do it.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

I think its a pipe dream now. My take on it is Axl has given up on the idea of new music and taking GNR forward, and is winding down his career as a performer.
Looking at the setlists I see it as he's fullfilling his obligation to fans of the new music by playing some of CD, he's doing likewise for fans of the classic era, and all these cover versions are for himself - he's getting his own kicks playing AC/DC, Pink Floyd or whatever.

Fair do's man, I'll defo be checking them out next time they hit the uk whatever they play, I doubt I'll get many more opportunities to see Axl Rose perform live in this lifetime.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

I just want to say that I was incredibly fucking pissed no new stuff was revealed at Rio IV..

You know I used to agree somewhat with what Axl said about people on the net bitching about setlists for concerts they weren't even at, but the more I think about it the more I disagree.

In today's Internet age people on the other side of the world are living these concerts through live updates on forums like this, watching videos back that people took at the concert, they are getting pumped up (or let down) too.  Maybe not to the same degree
as someone actually at the gig, but it still impacts on the fans, the vibe, press, it can create a buzz (or not) etc.

Plus with GNR streaming gigs now too I think setlists are fucking important and the opinions of those at home watching live or in replay over the next few days shouldn't be underestimated.

I mean look how it works in reverse when Estranged and Civil War was played, people online went a little nuts. But why should they care they are just nerds on the net at home they weren't even at the gig.  It cuts both ways.

Imagine the positive buzz if a new song was played or even new old songs. You gotta take the good with the bad.

I think setlists are important.  Yeah you gotta please those who paid to go to the gig first but I think it's stupid to completely ignore the other side of coin. It's a missed opportunity if you do.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

It's just odd that GN'R who used to mix it up nightly, and all the time, to get so stagnant playing the same fucking thing. I remember Duff saying in an old UYI tour doco that playing the same set every night was like a 9-5 job to them, and that's why they mixed it up constantly.

Maybe Axl never felt the same about that though...

Naltav
 Rep: 70 

Naltav wrote:
Aussie wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

I just want to say that I was incredibly fucking pissed no new stuff was revealed at Rio IV..

You know I used to agree somewhat with what Axl said about people on the net bitching about setlists for concerts they weren't even at, but the more I think about it the more I disagree.

In today's Internet age people on the other side of the world are living these concerts through live updates on forums like this, watching videos back that people took at the concert, they are getting pumped up (or let down) too.  Maybe not to the same degree
as someone actually at the gig, but it still impacts on the fans, the vibe, press, it can create a buzz (or not) etc.

Plus with GNR streaming gigs now too I think setlists are fucking important and the opinions of those at home watching live or in replay over the next few days shouldn't be underestimated.

I mean look how it works in reverse when Estranged and Civil War was played, people online went a little nuts. But why should they care they are just nerds on the net at home they weren't even at the gig.  It cuts both ways.

Imagine the positive buzz if a new song was played or even new old songs. You gotta take the good with the bad.

I think setlists are important.  Yeah you gotta please those who paid to go to the gig first but I think it's stupid to completely ignore the other side of coin. It's a missed opportunity if you do.

Good points!

I actually considered this when I read that they were gonna stream one of the upcoming clubshows. "Hm, if it's the same setlist, maybe I'll just watch it on youtube later..."

I want to suport the effort and the possibility of even more streaming. But not sure I want to pay to see the same movie twice!
hmm

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

Yeah if they want to maximize their  revenue from the live stream and get a bit of interest, dropping a new track or even new old song would be the way to go.

johndivney wrote:

& that way^ they have control of the new material & how it's presented.

it's not coming out thru leaks or unfinished versions.

but it's just another point of lost potential. or laziness.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

I don't think the setlists are a problem, it's more the fact that there appears to be no effort being put forth to get new music out there.  If they were playing the same setlist, with a release date in sight, I don't think people would care as much.  Aside from the faction of people who would complain about not hearing the new songs before the record came out.  But here we sit, with no new music on the horizon, so what do we really have to look forward to?

As far as the show itself though.  The band is still bringing it every single show at a top notch level.  So for people in attendance, everything is great.  For the armchair quaterbacks though, it's a different story.  Always has been, and always will be.

Board footer