You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: All Original GUNS Members Will Be At ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME

Sky Dog wrote:

same here....

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Don't Cry would be a good one, simply 'cause it's their first song. If they have time, I'd add it to the Jungle/SCOM/Paradise City setlist.

elevendayempire

Plus I don't get the hating on Sorum. He was a key contributor on the Illusions records, I mean that drum intro to YCBM is iconic. And Dizzy, for that matter. Gilby I'm less sure of, but he was there for the tour and The Spaghetti Incident? so he has a studio credit with the classic line-up.

Sky Dog wrote:

all hired hands and one drum intro is NOT a key contributor...not even close. So I guess Bobby Gregg should go in the Hall of Fame with Bob Dylan because he played drums on Highway 61 Revisted (the album with Like a Rolling Stone-the album Dylan formally went electric).

It's bullshit....not one writing credit for Sorum....not one. Same goes for Dizzy. The Illusions would have been fine without both of them.

elevendayempire

madagas wrote:

It's bullshit....not one writing credit for Sorum....not one. Same goes for Dizzy. The Illusions would have been fine without both of them.

No writing credits, maybe, but they played on 90% of the album tracks. I dunno, I can't consider them to be hired hands in the same way as the UYI horn section, largely because I got on board the GN'R train quite late in the day – the Sorum/Gliby/Dizzy line-up was the first version of GN'R I saw.

I think there's also the nagging thought that in the unlikely event that GN'R were to reunite, it would probably be with Sorum (based on his ties to Slash and Duff, and Adler's flakiness) and without Izzy (based on his tendency to not give a shit). So Sorum ends up on a slightly different plane to the other session guys.

Sky Dog wrote:

it wouldn't be a reunion without Izzy...just another Gnr mutation....another mutt lineup of hired hands.

elevendayempire

madagas wrote:

it wouldn't be a reunion without Izzy...just another Gnr mutation....another mutt lineup of hired hands.

As I've said several times, though, in the eyes of the general public bands tend to have two key members - usually the singer and lead guitarist. If one of them leaves, It's Not The Band. Everyone else is interchangeable. When Noel left Oasis, Liam Gallagher had to rename the band - and yet every other member of Oasis had been swapped out by that point.

And in the eyes of the general public, GN'R is Axl and Slash. Axl could take exactly the same band he has now out on tour, subbing out DJ for Slash, and people would say, "Hey, you know Guns N' Roses has reunited?"

Yeah, from our point of view, you could only call it a reunion if the Appetite lineup was all present and correct - but we're not the ones who get to decide that.

And in my case - because I'm a realist and I don't for a second believe that Adler would be part of any "reunited" GN'R, and Izzy probably wouldn't want the hassle - I would accept Axl, Slash, Duff and two other guys as a "reunited" GN'R if it meant getting to see Slash and Axl on a stage together for the first time in my life.

Incidentally, in my fantasy land the other two would be Fortus and Frank, since 1) they have past history, 2) they're a killer rhythm section and 3) I'd cheerfully gnaw my own arm off to see Fortus and Slash interacting on a stage. Oh, and 4) Fortus would make up for the fact that Slash can't jump around any more.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Like Axl said (and a few of us have said for years), to the average Joe, Slash and Duff with Axl is a GN'R reunion.

I don't care who's inducted.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

The hating on Sorum is completely goofy. Everyone knows Adler didn't have a big hand in writing those songs, so for all I care Frank Ferrer could be inducted with Axl, Slash, Izzy & Duff upfront.

As for the popular opinion of "original 5 or fuck off", well sorry to disappoint, but Matt Sorum & Dizzy Reed are both getting inducted and consideration as Hall of Fame members of the rock band Guns N' Roses.

So suck on it. They'll be involved in someway and rightfully so. Dizzy's got over 20 years seniority in the band.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

^^ Yup.

According to Slash, Axl's biggest beef about Steven (not including the drug use) was that he didn't contribute to the writing but he got credit and royalties. So, the only thing he has over Matt was that he was there first, played with the original band, and played on AFD. Outside that, they're on the same footing. I think they both have a right to be in there.

And it is what it is. The only thing I care about in this whole deal is the chance to see Axl and Slash on stage together again. That's it.

Board footer