You are not logged in. Please register or login.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

Re: Hall Of Fame Conspiracy Theory

-D- wrote:

He doesn't sing higher now.
86-93a he hit notes full throat 2002 2011 he falsetto to hit notes which is why they sound weak.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Firstly...Axlin...I know you have this theory that Axl's issues are due to laziness - I disagree - I don't think it's that he's out of shape or lazy at all - I think it's that his voice is outright damaged in some way and that's what causes the phenomena you notice.

I also noticed a while ago that everything seems higher. Or at least, specifically, that while we focus on the quality of the high parts (rasp vs clean), it's actually the low parts where he seems to have significant problems.

My opinion is:

1. D is correct that the high parts used to be hit full throat, and now on occasion he seems to hit them falsetto. This may be done to protect his voice. In this way it's not that the highs are higher than they were just the tone is different

but

2. I would venture it's his middle register or something that's got trouble. He seems to be able to do the soaring highs, and can still sing very low (as he did on Baz's album). But it's songs right in the middle band where he seems to struggle - in those songs he either starts doing them higher or he puts on a tone, that, and I know this sounds harsh, almost sounds like an impersonator, it's like he has a different voice these days and now he's mimicking the sound quality of what used to come naturally. Songs like "patience" are the kind of thing where I hear this. It's really odd. I can only assume the growling stuff like "sail away sweet sister" just warped his vocal chords in the midrange.

Sorry for the Axl bash. I love his music and he's still a great frontman. But I do hear what Axlin is talking about.

-D-

-D- wrote:

well, I think Axl can still sing

Its just live.. I think he has a vocal coach that will allow him to sing for 20 more years instead of 5 more years.

I remember when Kurt Cobain used to have recurring vocal issues, They recommended he go to a vocal coach and learn to sing properly and he never did.

So I'd assume Axl is doing the vocal coach.. they do some tricks with the mix to blend Axl in enough so his offness isn't as noticeable to the naked ear.

RIR4 was terrible cause the mix was bad.. I don't think Axl magically started singing 100 times better.. i think the mix was just fixed.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Yeah i'm not saying he can't sing. I'm saying since 200x he's had some problems that didn't exist prior to that. And i suspect he covers it with the mix and by changing up how he sings some of the songs as described above.

In the right environment I know he will kick ass, I bet he'll be awesome on the next record.

Interesting you mention kurt. I watched a live nirvana dvd the other day and it stuck me how much screaming there was - i remember watching it thinking "I'd last 2 songs of this and not be able to speak for a week". It's all yelling and screaming on some of the songs.

-D-

-D- wrote:

I do still daydream sometimes had Axl at MTV Awards looked and sounded like he did in 2006 and they dropped single next  day how altered GNR history would be right now.

If Axl were mad about any new member not getting in. he only has himself to blame. They could've release several albums and cemented their own legacy by now.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

The mix does mask Axl BIG TIME.  Cause when I saw him live, he was amazing.  The next night on the youtube clips that capture a different mix, you can hear how your ears are slightly tricked.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

Anybody doesn't believe me? Watch Ritz '88, then watch Vegas 2011. Axl actually sings HIGHER today than he did 24 years ago. Maybe he can't hit the lower register all that well anymore? I dunno..

Bono also sings higher in 2012 than he did back in the day.  Although he can't hit the falsettos as well his regular singing voice is higher than it was back in the early 90's and 80's. Just look at how he sings WGRYWH or WOWOY and compare to how he sings ballads today. Kite, Walk On, Moment of Surrender. Hs voice is higher. I think that happens with age. your voice becomes less full and thus sounds higher.  Axl would be no different.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:
war wrote:

i think most people understand that instruments dont lose their sound quality like human voices do with age.

i do worry that axl would sing poorly due to nerves or temperment if they do play together.

his a game is certainly still adequate though.

Problem is, that is bullshit. Axl has only reached that point by crapping out on this current tour in North America.

Another problem is, which NO ONE beyond me seems to address is that in alot of songs, Axl's vocal ability isn't shot... due to laziness he's seemingly forgot how to sing HIS OWN SONGS. That's troubling.

not bullshit. a guitar doesnt get sick or lose its power and fullness with age. a voice does. how is that bullshit?

i agree with faldor and bono. he has some damage and some aging issues. hes working around them and that is why the performances differ. its actually easier to hit the mid to high range notes with falsetto, which is the highest part of the voice, than with his legit (main) voice but it doesnt sound as full. since hes a baritone to begin with he usually needs to or chooses to cheat in order to hit the mid to high range notes these days by doing so. his technique has definitely improved over the years and that helps make up for the decline in his vocal power. to me, when hes on hes using rasp as much as possible and that is hard on the vocal chords so that comes and goes as well.

hes better on some songs for different reasons. hes better on cd because its in his natural range. hes better on this i love because it is a quieter and softer song so he doesn't need the power. hes better on you're crazy and its so easy because there is less mid range notes in it. he can use his lower register that he is the best at and then go straight to falsetto for the the screams naturally.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

The mix does mask Axl BIG TIME.  Cause when I saw him live, he was amazing.  The next night on the youtube clips that capture a different mix, you can hear how your ears are slightly tricked.

Agree. When you're at a concert, it always sounds much better for you, for different reasons. Very loud mix, excitement etc. Youtube handy-cam stuff doesn't mean shit, it's just not that quality, and the mixing is going to the muddy middle, so you won't hear the real misses.
Only pro-shot, soundboard recordings show the truth - and that's where people are always complaining that these don't do Axl justice. It does. Just some can't accept the truth.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

He sounds light years better than this:

Everyone here knows that if Axl came out today singing like this, as frequently as he did back then, you guys would absolutely-fucking-crucify him on a daily basis.

But I am expecting some to try and say this sounds good. I'm sorry, he sounds horrible.

Board footer