You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: GNRevolution Exclusive! Classic Rock Feb Mag Cover!

James wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:

I love CITR also. As far as 99 TWAT goes, since you don't think the song was elevated dramatically in the BH era, its no surprise why you prefer BBF.

I do think it was elevated, I'm just saying that it still sounds like Buckethead playing that to me, it's sounds like the same guitarist, minus a few parts.

I'm not that fast a typer to reply to this stuff. I like them both, the end.

If you "like them both", you sure were quick to try and prove BBF's superiority over BH by wanting people to back up your links as "proof".

I don't hate BBF. He's a cool guy, and as I have said ever since he joined the band, is the most fan friendly member to EVER be in GNR. I love his Nightrain solo, even though I do prefer the BH version. In the BBF era, his Nightrain solo is one of the highlights of the shows.

He just lacks regarding trying to replicate something that was already magical when he arrived. Its not his fault. Any other guitarist would be in the same position. I actually look forward to hearing any possible new songs recorded with him after he arrived, or at least hear some songs with his presence that we haven't heard BH on. That is when we will truly know what he is capable of in this band.

elmir
 Rep: 53 

elmir wrote:

from mygnr...

some german fans met beta at axls house....asking her the 2 questions she said "i don't know when axl will release cd" "yeah, they will go on tour soon"

my.php?image=cimg0577li3.jpg

elmir

elmir wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:

Its not his fault. Any other guitarist would be in the same position.

that statement right there is a fitting description of how early Slash replacements must have felt like....i don't even want to contemplate what Huge must have been going through....being blamed for the break up, and then attempting to replace the only modern day guitar hero must have been a mindfuck of epic proportions...

also, the same statement clearly describes the size of BH's achievement....not only did he manage to fill the job position...but a whole load of people even starting to forget about Slash....which at the time was unheard of...

BBF is super cool...but he's a normal guy....you need to be a fucked up, strung out, visually entertaining entity in order to successfully fill the shoes of the guys who were there before you.....he's a great player, and i hope he makes it....but...he's just not weird enough....

karma for that...

I dunno if I agree with him not being weird enough to be a replacement for BH.   Thing is he isn't BH and never claimed to be or even be better then BH.   BBF has his own style, he doesn't need to play like BH in order to do a good job in GNR, IMO.   It's based upon how the fan feels really.   If you are a diehard BH fan, then no one will ever be good enough to replace BH, if you aren't,  then you're a fan that has no problem with BBF in GNR and loves the way he plays and doesn't even think twice about BH not being there and how the songs will never be up to par.

It's really in the eyes of the beholder, when you think about it and this no disrespect towards BH just saying, they are 2 really different guitarists and IMO, lets say BBF replaced all of BH's parts, I wouldn't like the songs any less.

elmir

elmir wrote:
DoubleTalkingJive wrote:

lets say BBF replaced all of BH's parts, I wouldn't like the songs any less.

well, if you didn't know what BH did...then of course....you'd love the songs....

i would love to hear BH's versions first and foremost....and then everyone else's.....he just has this edge about him that i haven't seen since the early days of gnr....bbf...as cool as he is....isn't as edgy as that....and i don't mean that in a negative manner...bbf plays that november rain solo better than any other gnr guitarist so far....including slash....

its just that on an emotional level...when i saw bh in the band....i felt that there may just be another chance for this band...that maybe axl rose was right all along....and that maybe i should show more interest, and start convincing my friends that gnr is back...and is better than before....

i don't get that urge now...bbf is awesome....robin is awesome...fortus is great....but they just don't light up the fire under my ass like slash did.....bh pulled that off....the emotional block next to the gnr name was ticked in 2002....

elmir wrote:
DoubleTalkingJive wrote:

lets say BBF replaced all of BH's parts, I wouldn't like the songs any less.

well, if you didn't know what BH did...then of course....you'd love the songs....

i would love to hear BH's versions first and foremost....and then everyone else's.....he just has this edge about him that i haven't seen since the early days of gnr....bbf...as cool as he is....isn't as edgy as that....and i don't mean that in a negative manner...bbf plays that november rain solo better than any other gnr guitarist so far....including slash....

its just that on an emotional level...when i saw bh in the band....i felt that there may just be another chance for this band...that maybe axl rose was right all along....and that maybe i should show more interest, and start convincing my friends that gnr is back...and is better than before....

i don't get that urge now...bbf is awesome....robin is awesome...fortus is great....but they just don't light up the fire under my ass like slash did.....bh pulled that off....the emotional block next to the gnr name was ticked in 2002....

First off, don't insult my intelligence, I have listened to the songs with BH and yes it's great stuff BUT as I said, I wouldn't like the songs any less, that's my opinion and I am entitled to it.   

Not everyone felt that BH was the end all be all of GNR no matter how great BH is.   It's based upon each and everyones individual feelings.   I can get the same charges from BBF as I did from BH, yes BH definitely had an edge by the way he played and how he looked.   He is very much like Mike Patton, who isn't afraid to go beyond the norm to get some great music in an unusual way.   

Doesn't mean GNR will never be great because he is now gone.   IMO and I am sure in other opinions.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Jameslofton wrote:

Bullshit. He cant even attempt to hold BH's jockstrap. Just because people want him to doesn't make it so. I wish a pot of gold would land right outside my house. Doesn't mean I'm gonna try and act like it just happened.

He fucks up CD, cant do the amazing TWAT outro, fucks up IRS, and the only reason Better is even tolerable is because Axl shines on the song and Finck's work is superb.

I'm not sure I agree, there was a video of GNR playing in 06, one of the last shows I think, that was floating round on youtube and the band played CD that night. The performance was great and it sounded as close to the demo version as you'll ever hear. The weak points were that the song lacked the ballsy heavy rhythm that the demo has, however that's a problem that's plagued CD live since day one. There's a power to the demo that's never been replicated live by any era 01-07, however Rons solo was bang on, admittedly that's only one performance but if you saw/heard it I don't think you'd claim he fucks up CD. I'll try find it but I've got a horrible feeling Tsunami removed it and I've not seen it since.

I still think it's an unfair comparison to judge BH's studio work with Ron's live performances, we don't know how BH would sound if he was playing them live. I appreciate it's the only comparison we have or can make but it's not a particularly accurate one.

Jameslofton wrote:

They wont care until they listen to demos for comparison, and then it'll be,"wait a minute. Why do these songs sound better 6 years ago?".

It's not unheard of for people to prefer demos over the finished version, look at some of the UYI demos, imo some of the UYI demos are better than the final tracks but overall does it make a difference to the albums? Not especially, because ultimately they are the same songs, a few tweaks here and there but that's all they are. I find the 14 Years demo better than the album version but the decision to change that song, imo, for the worse and put that on the album doesn't spoil my enjoyment of the album or the song. I think it's important to remember that, you've either got a good song or you haven't, tweaks can help but they don't generally make or break a song.

Remember how much time Axls put into this record, he isn't going to compromise the album to accomodate someone. The best bits will stay, all we've got to find out is who's done the best bits.

Sky Dog wrote:

there are probably so many different versions of all the recordings that I am not even sure if Axl would know what the best bits are!:haha:

other than that, I tend to agree with you Private Eye....it remains to be seen as to how much Ron will affect the studio recordings.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:

He just lacks regarding trying to replicate something that was already magical when he arrived. Its not his fault. Any other guitarist would be in the same position. I actually look forward to hearing any possible new songs recorded with him after he arrived, or at least hear some songs with his presence that we haven't heard BH on. That is when we will truly know what he is capable of in this band.

This is Guns N' Roses in a couple lines.  It sums up the ENTIRE history of the band as a recording entity.

Board footer