You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: I want a reunion

Smoking Guns wrote:

GNR had it all, and the talent to back it up.  Its sad and pointless... At least Slash, Duff, Izzy, Matt, Steven aren't scared to record and tour..  Slash seems to almost have actively moved on the most.  2 albums in 2 years is impressive.  Since GNR he has Snakepit 1 and 2, 2 VR albums, 2 solo albums, and an assload of guest spots and unique songs.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Just saw this angle of the VR reunion

Fuck i was wrong.. there was a bit of chemistry after all

[youtube]R_SLmIow9BY&feature=related[/youtube]

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

No....U2 is the Rolling Stones of our generation. Stones artistically done in 72...save one record Some Girls in 78. U2 artistically done in 91. Both simply became money making machines after 72 and 91. Just my opinion.

Beautiful Day is one of U2's best though.....every now and then, Bono, you can try to respect that not everybody sees the world the way you do.

Sky Dog wrote:

and not everybody cares how much money a rock band makes or how many sheep follow them. I Will Follow...actually, a song from back when they were good and not just a corporation....:peace:

It's almost not even worth replying to this and as we all know I will anways.  Fact is everyone on this board wishes Gn'R operated the way U2 does whether they want to admit it or not. What fan woudn't want that?  Only a  pretentious douche who thinks they're cool would claim they wouldn't want that.  This had nothing to do with U2 untill you and Riad tried your best to suggest I need to manipulate and spin shit to make U2 and Bono look good. Ummmmm... no they make themselves look good on their own. When I talk about U2 it's in no way shape or form the same as when someone like Ali talks about Axl and Gn'R. It just isn't and to suggest it is, is laughable. Just shows how many of you are so neck deep in this shit that reality escapes you it seems.

And as for the U2/Stones comparison well U2 still top the charts when they release albums and singles, their last album was critically acclaimed as their best since Achtung Baby, Rolling Stone named Moment of Surrender the best song of 2009, Pop was  a really good album. Beautiful Day is perhaps their best single, songs like Sometimes You can't Make it On your Own, City of Blinding Lights, Kite, Walk On from ALYCLB and HTDAAB prove that they are not done creatively. Pretty productive last 10 years actually. Also the fact they busted out 6 new songs last tour that have not been released yet show they are thinking of the future and not relying on the past.

Honestly it's laughable at this point that people can even begin to tear apart what U2 is and how they conduct their business. Like or dislike the music they are a fans dream. The only thing I have to complain about is it's been 3 years since the last album. Although I am getting a new 22 song live album from the 360 tour which is being relased to fans who have subscribed at u2.com.  Not to mention Artificial Horizon which was released to suscribed fans last year.  So yeah you guys are right I need to spin a lot of shit when it comes to  U2. It's difficult finding new and creative ways to justify why they make their fans happy  on an incredibly regular basis.

Anyways YOU guys wanted to talk U2 so there ya go.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

The funny bit to me is a few years back he was an asshole for not touring the states, then before that a dick for not touring worldwide and just hiding in his mansion...now he tours too much?

I remember there used to be posts on this board about how he should just do a theatre tour already.

Or how hard would it be to have a website, or why don't the band members interact with fans?

Have a look around guys, everything we bitched about seems to have been installed.

I believe a new album will come, I just think it's not going to be until at least 2014.

EPIC POST!!!! 9

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

Axl Rose could've been the greatest rock frontman of his generation. But when the story gets told, they'll either pretend he died after 1994 (like Cobain), or they'll talk about how much of an absolute waste the second half of his life was artistically, and they'd be right.

I dunno man that 1993 lifestyle didn't seem to be doing good things to Axl. I'm just glad he didn't do a cobain so to speak. The "waste" idea only makes sense if you assume he was capiable of doing more at that time and of keeping on going at that pace - but I'm not sure that's the case - Guns N Roses damn near killed all of them.

Izzy got out before he lost his mind but he can't go back to anything serious.  Steven lost his health. Slash did die a few times and lucked his way back - but the motherfucker got a pacemaker installed at what 32 or something? Duff should be dead and suffered the pain of his innards melting, and Axl didn't go out in public for 10 years or something. Greatest band of all time - yep - but it was also a god damn life ending fucker if you think about  it.

So sure in an ideal world where Axl shits out an AFD and a UYI every 4 years then great...but I don't think that's a sustainable universe.

I also think that *artisticly* some of the Chinese Democracy stuff is brilliant..especally Axl's work...the high parts on twat, songs like catcher...madagascar....I could never call such things a waste.

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

Axl Rose could've been the greatest rock frontman of his generation. But when the story gets told, they'll either pretend he died after 1994 (like Cobain), or they'll talk about how much of an absolute waste the second half of his life was artistically, and they'd be right.

I dunno man that 1993 lifestyle didn't seem to be doing good things to Axl. I'm just glad he didn't do a cobain so to speak. The "waste" idea only makes sense if you assume he was capiable of doing more at that time and of keeping on going at that pace - but I'm not sure that's the case - Guns N Roses damn near killed all of them.

Izzy got out before he lost his mind but he can't go back to anything serious.  Steven lost his health. Slash did die a few times and lucked his way back - but the motherfucker got a pacemaker installed at what 32 or something? Duff should be dead and suffered the pain of his innards melting, and Axl didn't go out in public for 10 years or something. Greatest band of all time - yep - but it was also a god damn life ending fucker if you think about  it.

So sure in an ideal world where Axl shits out an AFD and a UYI every 4 years then great...but I don't think that's a sustainable universe.

I also think that *artisticly* some of the Chinese Democracy stuff is brilliant..especally Axl's work...the high parts on twat, songs like catcher...madagascar....I could never call such things a waste.

I'd think the point is that Axl wasted his latter years (everything post 93) in hiding and holding desperate hope of shoving Chinese Democracy over people's throat.

I do think we lost A LOT of Axl's heyday, since his mid-30's to early 40's would be his top, imho. And I think it's all due to Axl's over protecting and over valuing his own abilities and artistic matters.

I look at Axl and then I look at other artists I like, example Tom Petty. You can't say the guy didn't have problems with drugs, touring, record companies, producers and whatsoever. The big diffferente, in my opinion, is his attitude against this problems and NOT TAKING HIMSELF TOO SERIOUSLY.

I know Axl doesn't owe me SHIT, but can you imagine what we've lost already of tours, creative deliveries and albums? And what about? Record company money?

I mean, Axl has this persona of having the great balls on earth. Not to me, anymore... All that bullshit that was written on 2000/2001 tour merch like "freedom through musical integrity" and bollocks like that were just marketing... And when did he stood up to his music and his value and his creative power? When did he fight musical industry and tried to make a point through quality music and relasing it to the public?

IMHO, Axl's a record company bitch... He depends on them way more than they depend on him and that is just sad.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Bono wrote:

[

And as for the U2/Stones comparison well U2 still top the charts when they release albums and singles, their last album was critically acclaimed as their best since Achtung Baby, Rolling Stone named Moment of Surrender the best song of 2009

Chinese Democracy got pretty good reviews in its own right, and "Sorry" was one of Rolling Stone's best songs of 2008 without it ever being released as a single.  I don't think anyone is saying GNR is on par with U2 nowadays, but if you want to compare the two, let's be fair.

Bono

Bono wrote:
faldor wrote:
Bono wrote:

[

And as for the U2/Stones comparison well U2 still top the charts when they release albums and singles, their last album was critically acclaimed as their best since Achtung Baby, Rolling Stone named Moment of Surrender the best song of 2009

Chinese Democracy got pretty good reviews in its own right, and "Sorry" was one of Rolling Stone's best songs of 2008 without it ever being released as a single.  I don't think anyone is saying GNR is on par with U2 nowadays, but if you want to compare the two, let's be fair.

I'm not comparng the two at all. There is no comparison between the way the two organizations run themselves and treat their fans.   U2 are a fans dream. Guns N' Roses not so much. My point was I don't need to manipulate the facts or spins things every which way to draw a conclusion that paints them in the best light possible. They put themselves in the best light possible with how they operate.

Also that little comparison was more so between U2 and the Stones since Madagas basically said U2 hasn't done anything of value since 1991 and is basically a  dinosaur touring act ala the Rolling Stones when nothing could be further from the truth.

And again it wasn't even me who brought up U2(not this time)

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Bono wrote:
faldor wrote:
Bono wrote:

[

I'm not comparng the two at all. There is no comparison between the way the two organizations run themselves and treat their fans.   U2 are a fans dream. Guns N' Roses not so much. My point was I don't need to manipulate the facts or spins things every which way to draw a conclusion that paints them in the best light possible. They put themselves in the best light possible with how they operate.

Also that little comparison was more so between U2 and the Stones since Madagas basically said U2 hasn't done anything of value since 1991 and is basically a  dinosaur touring act ala the Rolling Stones when nothing could be further from the truth.

And again it wasn't even me who brought up U2(not this time)

Sorry about that.  After re-reading I see you were more comparing U2 and the Stones.  I don't have a wealth of knowledge on either band.  Both are hugely popular and obviously legendary.  In my opinion though, U2's last album didn't exactly set the world on fire.  At least, not to the level they are accustomed to.

Bono

Bono wrote:
faldor wrote:

In my opinion though, U2's last album didn't exactly set the world on fire.  At least, not to the level they are accustomed to.

No you're right and I think a lot of people were kinda surprised by it. They led with the wrong singel no doubt. Should've been Magnificent. The album was definitelya  flop sales wise at least by their standards. I think it sold somewhere between 5 - 6 million copies. Critically though it was praised pretty much by everyone as their best since Achtung Baby.

Board footer