You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Ali
 Rep: 41 

Re: Why are some people so opposed to a HOF reunion?

Ali wrote:
Olorin wrote:

The lyrical depth and emotion on the UYI's shit on CD... just saying 16

And I dunno anyone who likes AFD for Anything Goes....

I don't know about that.  To each his own.  But, I was using "Anything Goes" as an example, you also have "Mr. Brownstone", "Paradise City", etc.  Many of which did not display the lyrical depth later displayed by Axl in particular.

Ali

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:
Ali wrote:

I can't speak for anyone else, but none of the reasons postulated here are correct for me.  I think the old lineup has zero possibility of doing anything from a creative standpoint.  Their creative paths have diverged so much in looking at the music on CD vs. Slash's record and VR, etc.  I think the current GN'R lineup has the potential to make some interesting and exciting music, so my preference is to move forward with that lineup.  For all the reasons that have been stated in the other thread, I think a one night reunion would make moving forward with the current lineup far more problematic.

Ali

I agree that the new line up has massive potential for new music, I'd love to hear what they can come up with.
I dont think Axls creative path has changed that much though as he's still a piano balladier, I dont think theres anything from Axl on CD thats too far from Axl of old. Sure he brung in new players and they have their own sound thats on the record... Shacklers and Scraped were songs that Bucket and Brain brought in for example, but Axls still Axl... he's padding out his sets with old fuckin AC/DC tunes for christ sake, he aint evolved anywhere.

I just cant see how a one night reunion would be a bad thing for any GNR fan, are you seriously saying you wouldnt like to see ther AFD line up bust out Paradise City or the UYI line up bust out Estranged for one night only? Are you mad, it would be fuckin awesome!!

Nothing would change, the media would still be writing reviews of new GNR shows that mention Slash, Izzy etc. Axl will still harp on about the old band whenever he gets interviewed, like he always has.

Nothing will change in the publics and media's consciousness until Axl starts recording and releasing new music with his new line up and stands proud alongside it with the people that wrote it. He's never moved on man, never! Chinese Democracy was supposed to be the rebirth of Guns N'Roses, the opportunity was there to move on, the world was watching, waiting to see his move... and he done nothing.

*Oh wait, after a couple of months he gave an interview calling Slash names, the mans a marketing genious.

Ali

Ali wrote:
Olorin wrote:
Ali wrote:

I can't speak for anyone else, but none of the reasons postulated here are correct for me.  I think the old lineup has zero possibility of doing anything from a creative standpoint.  Their creative paths have diverged so much in looking at the music on CD vs. Slash's record and VR, etc.  I think the current GN'R lineup has the potential to make some interesting and exciting music, so my preference is to move forward with that lineup.  For all the reasons that have been stated in the other thread, I think a one night reunion would make moving forward with the current lineup far more problematic.

Ali

I agree that the new line up has massive potential for new music, I'd love to hear what they can come up with.
I dont think Axls creative path has changed that much though as he's still a piano balladier, I dont think theres anything from Axl on CD thats too far from Axl of old. Sure he brung in new players and they have their own sound thats on the record... Shacklers and Scraped were songs that Bucket and Brain brought in for example, but Axls still Axl... he's padding out his sets with old fuckin AC/DC tunes for christ sake, he aint evolved anywhere.

I just cant see how a one night reunion would be a bad thing for any GNR fan, are you seriously saying you wouldnt like to see ther AFD line up bust out Paradise City or the UYI line up bust out Estranged for one night only? Are you mad, it would be fuckin awesome!!

Nothing would change, the media would still be writing reviews of new GNR shows that mention Slash, Izzy etc. Axl will still harp on about the old band whenever he gets interviewed, like he always has.

Nothing will change in the publics and media's consciousness until Axl starts recording and releasing new music with his new line up and stands proud alongside it with the people that wrote it. He's never moved on man, never! Chinese Democracy was supposed to be the rebirth of Guns N'Roses, the opportunity was there to move on, the world was watching, waiting to see his move... and he done nothing.

*Oh wait, after a couple of months he gave an interview calling Slash names, the mans a marketing genious.

I'm not saying it couldn't be a good performance.  I'm saying I believe the new band has great potential to make new and interesting music. 

I think given the existing pressure being applied to Axl and the others to reunite, it's much harder to maintain a stance of "No, I won't reunite" when you HAVE actually reunited.  I think you lose any leverage you have in maintaining that stance because you are sending a completely mixed message.  You can't say you are not going to reunite and have it be convincing after having actually reunited.

Ali

Olorin

Olorin wrote:
Ali wrote:
Olorin wrote:

The lyrical depth and emotion on the UYI's shit on CD... just saying 16

And I dunno anyone who likes AFD for Anything Goes....

I don't know about that.  To each his own.  But, I was using "Anything Goes" as an example, you also have "Mr. Brownstone", "Paradise City", etc.  Many of which did not display the lyrical depth later displayed by Axl in particular.

Ali

Some of the songs are lacking in lyrical depth mabye, but there is something in Axls delivery thats there and its not on any other GNR album... or any other album. 100% pure emotion and feeling.

I remember reading a review of AFD, mabye it was around the time of the 20th anniversary, Lars Ulrich was talking about the first time he heard AFD, it was on a flight and he put the cassette into his walkman.
He said he though Jungle was cool but was  really taken aback by the singers voice, but by the time Its So Easy was finished he was just blown away, he said it wasnt just what he was saying but the way he said it, his voice was just dripping with an attitude and passion he'd never experienced before.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I think all the GNR albums lyrically are about certain situations that pertain mostly to the experiences and life-stage of axl:

AFD: The unholy account of life on the LA streets, the tragedy and the ecstasy, drugs, city life, addiction, police, violence, love and the fight for survival.

Lies: Being from a sheltered upbringing in a big city, knowing you're unusual and talented and living with it, maintaining relationships in chaos.

UYI:  A mix. Some older songs dealing with love and loss. Newer songs relating to the pressures of stardom, life at the top, the media, the labels, creative struggles and some politics.

Chinese: Continued themes from UYI - love, politics, change and rebirth.

I don't think the songs get better or worse, they're all genius in their own way - it's more that the early works are intensely autobiographical - and now that Axl isn't fighting for life on the streets - he's had to get more broad in his lyrical themes - otherwise he'd be writing a song about his day to day life - which is being famous, living in a mansion, getting sued a lot...and running a multinational brand of a band...(irs anyone? lol).

Olorin

Olorin wrote:
Ali wrote:
Olorin wrote:
Ali wrote:

Ali

I'm not saying it couldn't be a good performance.  I'm saying I believe the new band has great potential to make new and interesting music. 

I think given the existing pressure being applied to Axl and the others to reunite, it's much harder to maintain a stance of "No, I won't reunite" when you HAVE actually reunited.  I think you lose any leverage you have in maintaining that stance because you are sending a completely mixed message.  You can't say you are not going to reunite and have it be convincing after having actually reunited.

Ali

True. But it could also be a good way to draw a line under it, have an embrace with the old band, publically signal the end of an era and then start pushing the the era and the new eras own music.

The problem in my eyes is that he hasnt moved on, he'll never escape the shadow of the old band while he keeps his new band shackled to that past. I find it hard to have any sympathy for him, he's had more than enough years to rebrand Guns N'Roses and in 2012 it still doesnt have its own identity.

And to be perfectly honest I dunno how anyone can be opposed to a reunion when Axl has progressed so little, there would be mixed messages purely because Axls new GNR have acheived and produced so little on their own and the desire for the old band is still larger than anything in the general publics mind.
I think this is harking back to some of the earlier comments that some online people are afraid of a reunion because they have chosen a side and any reunion will cause them a little personal discomfort if it was to happen.

A reunion wouldnt be a bad thing Ali, it really wouldnt. I know its not gonna happen, and I'd love some new music from the new band blah blah blah, it would be amazing to hear.
But... if Axl did go back and Guns N' Roses reunited, well then I'd whip my wang out and fap fap fap and fap some more 5

Olorin

Olorin wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I think all the GNR albums lyrically are about certain situations that pertain mostly to the experiences and life-stage of axl:

AFD: The unholy account of life on the LA streets, the tragedy and the ecstasy, drugs, city life, addiction, police, violence, love and the fight for survival.

Lies: Being from a sheltered upbringing in a big city, knowing you're unusual and talented and living with it, maintaining relationships in chaos.

UYI:  A mix. Some older songs dealing with love and loss. Newer songs relating to the pressures of stardom, life at the top, the media, the labels, creative struggles and some politics.

Chinese: Continued themes from UYI - love, politics, change and rebirth.

I don't think the songs get better or worse, they're all genius in their own way - it's more that the early works are intensely autobiographical - and now that Axl isn't fighting for life on the streets - he's had to get more broad in his lyrical themes - otherwise he'd be writing a song about his day to day life - which is being famous, living in a mansion, getting sued a lot...and running a multinational brand of a band...(irs anyone? lol).

The UYI's are an incredible insight to the writers mind at the time, he fucking lays it all out.
I read a review that said "This aint Led Zepplins Physical Graphitti, this is Guns N'Roses Psychological Grafitti!"

Ali

Ali wrote:
Olorin wrote:
Ali wrote:
Olorin wrote:

Ali

True. But it could also be a good way to draw a line under it, have an embrace with the old band, publically signal the end of an era and then start pushing the the era and the new eras own music.

The problem in my eyes is that he hasnt moved on, he'll never escape the shadow of the old band while he keeps his new band shackled to that past. I find it hard to have any sympathy for him, he's had more than enough years to rebrand Guns N'Roses and in 2012 it still doesnt have its own identity.

And to be perfectly honest I dunno how anyone can be opposed to a reunion when Axl has progressed so little, there would be mixed messages purely because Axls new GNR have acheived and produced so little on their own and the desire for the old band is still larger than anything in the general publics mind.
I think this is harking back to some of the earlier comments that some online people are afraid of a reunion because they have chosen a side and any reunion will cause them a little personal discomfort if it was to happen.

A reunion wouldnt be a bad thing Ali, it really wouldnt. I know its not gonna happen, and I'd love some new music from the new band blah blah blah, it would be amazing to hear.
But... if Axl did go back and Guns N' Roses reunited, well then I'd whip my wang out and fap fap fap and fap some more 5

I really don't think a reunion will end up signalling the end of the old band.  It will only fan the fires even more for a reunion.  Furthermore, if you recall Axl's interview with Kurt Loder in 1999, he said very clearly that Live Era was the farewell to that era of the band.  Personally, I took that to heart and I think more people should've because it's looking like that was it for that era of the band.

Ali

Board footer