You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Psychologist Hacked to Death by Patient

It was quick and it was brutal, and even the efforts of a colleague couldn't save Kathryn Faughey, the psychologist hacked to death in her Upper East Side office with a meat cleaver by a man believed to be her patient, police said.

The suspect fled through a basement exit and was still being sought Wednesday morning.

Police said Faughey, 56, never had a chance, as she was hacked with the cleaver and stabbed numerous times. As Faughey tried to fight the attacker off and screamed for help, a therapist with an office in the same East 79th Street building ran to help, but as he tried to pull the suspect off of Faughey, the attacker turned on him, slashing the therapist a number of times in the face and neck, police said.

When police arrived they found in complete disarray an office once neat and organized and befitting a doctor charged with helping people. The desk was overturned, there was blood everywhere and papers were strewn about.

Faughey, a licensed psychologist, practiced cognitive behavioral therapy, which focuses on changing thoughts that cause feelings or behaviors.

She once described her style in a Psychology Today profile: "My approach is interactive, focused and solution-oriented," she said. "Sessions move quickly. I give feedback. Very practical and to the point, I practice cognitive psychotherapy effectively -- in a warm, clear and lively manner."

Faughey lived in a building across the street with her husband, Walter Adam, who is retired. The couple had no children, those who know her said, and they regularly vacationed in Paris.

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/newyo … 7918.story

I can't even imagine what that scene must have looked like.   How utterly terrifying for that woman and the collegue that tried to help her.  I think people that work in this kind of field really need to take major precautions and this is a prime example of why.

I was watching Nancy Grace and there was surveillance video of him walking in and up the stairs to the office dragging a suitcase on wheels and then leaving through the basement, leaves the suitcase and exits out of an alley door.

It was reported that in the suitcase was 9 knives, rope, womens underwear and adult diapers 10

What a sick bastard.

-Jack-
 Rep: 39 

-Jack- wrote:

Fuck. And I'm going to be a psychologist someday. hmm. That seriously fucking sucks for her.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
DoubleTalkingJive wrote:

It was reported that in the suitcase was 9 knives, rope, womens underwear and adult diapers 10

I can understand having a fetish for underwear or that lame baby fetish(forgot what its called), but why bring that crap to the murder scene?

Never heard of someone having both those fetishes. Definitely a strange dude.

-Jack- wrote:

Fuck. And I'm going to be a psychologist someday. hmm. That seriously fucking sucks for her.

I say every person in this field needs to have a metal dectector or some precautions with anyone that enters the office. 

Jameslofton
I can understand having a fetish for underwear or that lame baby fetish(forgot what its called), but why bring that crap to the murder scene?

Never heard of someone having both those fetishes. Definitely a strange dude.

What's even stranger is that he goes upstairs with them in the suitcase and then leaves them at the scene.   From what was reported it was a very quick attack.   Unless he was planning on kidnapping her and killing her slowely and that didn't work out.   Cuz if you see the survellience video not only is he dragging the suitcase on wheels but has another bag in his other hand but it hasnt been revealed what was in the other bag, unless it was more of the same.

Tommie
 Rep: 67 

Tommie wrote:
DoubleTalkingJiveWhat's even stranger is that he goes upstairs with them in the suitcase and then leaves them at the scene.   From what was reported it was a very quick attack.   [b wrote:

Unless he was planning on kidnapping her and killing her slowely and that didn't work out. [/b]  Cuz if you see the survellience video not only is he dragging the suitcase on wheels but has another bag in his other hand but it hasnt been revealed what was in the other bag, unless it was more of the same.

That was the first thing I thought of too, but if he was going to kidnap her, why would he even need to bring all of that stuff with him?  He could have just kept all his stuff at wherever he was going to take her. 

But maybe the guy couldn't think that far ahead.  I think its safe to say he wasn't too mentally stable.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Its also safe to say he didn't have a very good psychologist.:haha:

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

^^ Oh that's cold. Anyway, they are now running into doctor/patient confidentiality law problems in the investigation. The police do not think they can comb thru her patient files to look at possible suspects & actually left the files alone while they searched her office for possible clues & evidence.

Board footer