You are not logged in. Please register or login.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

Re: The MLB Thread

slashsfro wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

Pirates are looking to be a fluke in the first half last year, and I can't see them spending alot of money, nor holding on to McCutchen too much longer. Cubs might flirt around 4th place, but more than likely will be a 90+ loss team easily. Look for the Cubbies to try to move Soriano, Dempster, Wood, and whoever else they can possibly exchange for prospects come mid-season

They actually resigned McCutchen to a long term deal.  So I don't think he's going anywhere just yet.  I don't trust the GM to get a good return so it's probably better that he stays put.  What's actually killing them is that Pedro Alvarez is turning into a gigantic disappointment.  He's the only guy outside of McCutchen (who probably only has 25-30 hr power) who is a legitimate power threat in the lineup.  It makes me wish they had drafted Eric Hosmer instead.

On the Cubs, I think Garza is still the guy who'll probably get the best prospects.  The issue is whether or not they should trade him.  I believe he is signed through next year.  The Cubs don't really have MLB ready pitchers in the minors.  FA has Cole Hamels and Zach Greinke.  I suspect they'll probably be outbid for Hamels.  Greinke may or may not want to play in a big market.  But the Cubs need top end prospects (even if at the A+ ball level) in the worst way, especially at 3b.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

That's why I thought it was stupid to let go of Aramis Ramirez, regardless of future decline potential, and the fact he was not deserving of a 3-year deal. Just throw a 1-year deal, worth extra, and keep rolling.

ARam was literally the first long-term 3B the Cubs had had since RON SANTO. Literally. They had been switching out 3B every season or two since Santo.

They've never been deep there, other than those two guys, and Ramirez was brought in from Pittsburgh.

Speaking of Pittsburgh, just because McCutchen got locked up, doesn't mean he won't be used to shift or eat that contract, although it looks slim for the next couple years at least. I just have a real hard time believing the Pirates are willing to PAY in this modern-age market for players, to have a marquee, franchise player again in Pittsburgh alongside Pops and Clemente.

slashsfro

slashsfro wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

That's why I thought it was stupid to let go of Aramis Ramirez, regardless of future decline potential, and the fact he was not deserving of a 3-year deal. Just throw a 1-year deal, worth extra, and keep rolling.

ARam was literally the first long-term 3B the Cubs had had since RON SANTO. Literally. They had been switching out 3B every season or two since Santo.

They've never been deep there, other than those two guys, and Ramirez was brought in from Pittsburgh.

Speaking of Pittsburgh, just because McCutchen got locked up, doesn't mean he won't be used to shift or eat that contract, although it looks slim for the next couple years at least. I just have a real hard time believing the Pirates are willing to PAY in this modern-age market for players, to have a marquee, franchise player again in Pittsburgh alongside Pops and Clemente.

There's not much there at all at 3b in FA after this year:

Geoff Blum (39)
Miguel Cairo (39)
Jorge Cantu (31)
Eric Chavez (35)
Mark DeRosa (38)
Brandon Inge (36) - $6MM club option with a $500K buyout
Maicer Izturis (32)
Jose Lopez (29)
Placido Polanco (37) - $5.5MM mutual option with a $1MM buyout
Mark Reynolds (29) - $11MM club option with a $500K buyout
Scott Rolen (38)
Mark Teahen (31)
Ty Wigginton (35) - $4MM club option with a $500K buyout
David Wright (30) - $16MM club option with a $1MM buyout
Kevin Youkilis (34) - $13MM club option with a $1MM buyout

Best guy on the list is Wright.  But even he has his problems as it seems like he gets injured every year.  I'm not sure that the Mets should resign him given their money problems.

On the Pirates, they've been doing the same old shit for the last twenty years.  Develop a few good players and trade em when they get expensive.  They also overpay veteran POS for PR purposes (ie we're not cheap we spend money).

The "we play in a small market" excuse has been debunked with TB contending on a yearly basis, and CIN and MIL spending almost double what the Pirates put into their payroll.  I don't expect the Pirates to reach Yankees/Red Sox/Phillies levels in their payroll, but there is no reason why they shouldn't be able to spend around 60-80 million yearly to put together a competitive product.

I've read somewhere that the guy who owns the Pirates is the 10th richest owner in MLB.  Anyway, I'm praying he sells within the next few years or so.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Oh the Pirates have money. That's why they refuse to spend. All that profit.

As for 3B, actually the Cubs & Mets toyed with a David Wright trade in the off-season, before the Cubs went after Ian Stewart.

The Mets are going nowhere fast, and Wright wants out (don't blame him). But because Wright was the best piece they had left (despite injuries), they asked for way too much, and Epstein/Hoyer just weren't gonna give the last couple of bread crumbs in that decimated Cubs minor league system to New York, for busted up David Wright that they don't even really need when they KNEW they weren't gonna compete, and they still had Jeff Baker.

If Wright can stay healthy, look for alot of interest come mid-season. But I DON'T see him going to a contender. I see him going to someone "who thinks" they might make a run later, or sometime next year. Until he proves he can stay healthy, short of being a DH for someone, he's gonna have to take a major paycut and prove himself somewhere a bit more low-key like Pittsburgh or Kansas City.

slashsfro

slashsfro wrote:

Moyer becomes oldest pitcher to win game in majors
By PAT GRAHAM | The Associated Press

DENVER (AP) Baseball's old man is still fending off Father Time.

Jamie Moyer showed there remains a place for a vintage lefty in a young man's game as the 49-year-old became the oldest pitcher to ever win a major league contest.

He threw seven strong innings and Dexter Fowler hit a two-run homer to help the Colorado Rockies beat the San Diego Padres 5-3 on Tuesday night.

''It's a great night for the Rockies, as far as winning a baseball game. But it's an historic night for one tremendous human being,'' Rockies manager Jim Tracy said. ''It couldn't happen to a better guy. A more professional person I don't know I've been around.''

Moyer (1-2) was sharp all evening as he picked up his 268th career win, tying him with Hall of Famer Jim Palmer for 34th on the career list.

Relying on a consistent cutter and mixing in a 78-mph fastball, the crafty pitcher gave up just six hits and two runs - both unearned - as he kept the Padres hitters at bay and off balance.

''Today, for me, just like it's been my previous two starts - going out and trying to give my best effort,'' Moyer said.

That's been a winning recipe for Moyer over a career that's stretched nearly a quarter century and included 689 games.

Anthony Bass, a pitcher half Moyer's age, went five innings and gave up three runs. Bass (0-2) also had a career-high seven strikeouts.

Moyer earned that elusive win for the ages in his third start of the season. His age is 49 years, 150 days old.

That's important to note since before Moyer's effort the oldest pitcher to win a game in the majors was Jack Quinn of the Brooklyn Dodgers on Sept. 13, 1932, when he was 49 years, 70 days old.

Not that Moyer knows much about Quinn.

''I wish I was a baseball historian,'' Moyer said. ''I'm a little embarrassed to admit that. As players, we should know more about the game, the history of the game. You need to respect the game and the people that came before you.''

He's definitely a part of baseball's history now.

However, he doesn't think this mark will stand the test of time.

''The way athletes are going in today's game, I think it could be broken,'' he said.

This game got a little dicey at the end.

Rafael Betancourt survived a rocky ninth as he surrendered a solo homer to Nick Hundley and put two more runners on before striking out Yonder Alonso to earn his third save in as many chances.

About the only blemish to the night were two more errors by smooth-fielding shortstop Troy Tulowitzki, giving him six already this season. The Gold Glove winner had six all of last year.

His fielding error in the seventh proved quite costly and nearly spoiled Moyer's place in the record books. With two on and one out, Tulowitzki had a routine double play ball go right through his legs, leading to a run. Jason Bartlett brought in another with a sacrifice fly to right to cut the lead to 3-2.

Moyer ended the threat by getting pinch hitter Jeremy Hermida to ground out to second on a 76-mph cutter.

The Rockies added two insurance runs in the eighth as Michael Cuddyer doubled in a run off former Rockies closer Huston Street and Wilin Rosario added a sacrifice fly.

Away from the mound, Moyer hardly looks like a kid anymore. He has gray streaks in his hair and frequently dons reading glasses that sit perched on the tip of his nose. This betrays his age too: He's on the verge of receiving his AARP card.

But once he steps on the mound that youthful exuberance returns.

He's transformed into a kid again, sprinting out to the mound after each inning. He looked more like a spry rookie than a veteran nearing retirement.

Moyer enticed the Padres to hit into three double plays, despite warnings before the game by Mark Kotsay - the one player who's consistently hit Moyer - to remain patient. Then again, it's difficult to lay off a pitch that looks so juicy.

The aged wonder used his wealth of experience to his advantage against the young Padres, six of whom weren't even born when Moyer made his major league debut in 1986. That included Bass, who has fond memories of Coors Field after winning his debut in the hitter friendly stadium last June.

Kotsay's first plate appearance of the season was a single in the opening inning. Kotsay was activated off the disabled list on Monday after missing the first 10 games with a strained right calf muscle.

That his first hit should be against Moyer hardly comes as a surprise since the 36-year-old Kotsay has a .583 lifetime average against Moyer. They even exchanged friendly grins after each of Kotsay's two singles.

''He wears me out. He knows it. I know it,'' Moyer said. ''We joke in the offseason.''

Kotsay also has a lot of respect for Moyer.

''It says something about how much he loves to compete and his willingness to work, and at 49, to go out and throw the ball and have success,'' said Kotsay, who faced the veteran for the first time since June 13, 2006, when Kotsay was with the Oakland A's and Moyer a member of the Seattle Mariners.

Before the game, Kotsay was giving pointers to his impressionable teammates on how to hit Moyer's methodical pitches.

''Be patiently aggressive,'' Andy Parrino recounted. ''Make him come to us a little bit more. Oh, and make him stay in the strike zone.''

Moyer doesn't have a blazing fastball, but he does have this - pinpoint precision.

Padres manager Bud Black certainly appreciates the cleverness of Moyer, marveling from the dugout at the vintage pitcher who went to spring training without a guaranteed roster spot and performed his way onto the team. He missed all of 2011 as he recovered from a surgically repaired ligament in his elbow.

''It's a great story,'' Black said. ''It's wonderful that he's continued to get the results needed to stay in the major leagues. This is a performance-driven game and the last 15 years of his career have been outstanding.''

NOTES: Padres RHP Tim Stauffer (strained elbow) threw Tuesday in San Diego. He's scheduled for a bullpen session this weekend. ... OF Carlos Gonzalez (strep throat) returned the lineup, going 0 for 2 with two walks. ... Moyer said he will donate some memorabilia to the Hall of Fame from the game.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/moyer-beco … nt90ARvLYF

slashsfro

slashsfro wrote:

I think it's a great accomplishment for Moyer who basically had to reinvent himself.  He came up as a hard thrower but now rarely pitches above 80mph.  It's also pretty cool that he got the win in a hitters haven in Colorado.  Moyer is also one of two players left in MLB who played in the 1980s (other one is Omar Vizquel).  I think Moyer plays next year as well but that is just a guess.  Too bad he missed 2011 otherwise he would be closer to 300.  As it stands, he is 32 wins short of the record.

Anyway more random comments--

Johnny Damon signed with the Indians over the weekend.  He's very close to 3,000 hits and a ticket to the HOF.  I don't mind him just stat compiling at the end of his career.  He has 2 rings already with the Red Sox.

Brian Wilson is  probably out for the year with an elbow injury.  I'm praying that the Giants stay in it so the Pirates can shop Hanrahan to the Giants for any pitching help.

The bullpen and the old outfielders might sink the Angels.  They just blew a game tonight where the bullpen allowed 4 runs in the eight in a loss to the A's.  The bullpen was bad last year.  Hunter (.724 OPS), Bourjous (.625 OPS), Abreu (.697), Wells (.779).  At least they still have Mike Trout raking in the minors they can call up.  Erick Aybar wants a 5yr/55 million dollar contract extension as well.:laugh:

Red Sox get mashed by the Rangers 18-3.  I know it's only April but I'm looking forward to the weekend series with the Tigers.

Cubs bullpen blows another one.  I'd just keep on running out any options they have in the high minors.  They're not going to contend this year so they might as well try and see who sticks for next year. 

Dodgers lose to the Brew Crew.  We'll see what happens when they play teams not named the Padres or Pirates.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

And look for whatever talent that exists on that Cubs pitching squad to be moved before the trade deadline.

Demp MIGHT stay, but Garza is a goner, and likely Dempster. Marmol imo is gonna be dangled as trade bait also. I think the Cubs keep Wood and promise him a future team job, just for fan fare. Wood will most likely eventually end up with that closer job.

As for Jamie Moyer = GREAT story. So glad to see Jamie get there. I was rooting for him!

slashsfro

slashsfro wrote:

White Sox RHP Phil Humber throws perfect game
The Associated Press – 34 minutes ago

SEATTLE (AP) Phil Humber, who underwent Tommy John surgery seven years ago, threw the first perfect game in the majors in almost two years, leading the Chicago White Sox to a 4-0 victory over the Seattle Mariners on Saturday.

It was baseball's 21st perfect game and first since Philadelphia's Roy Halladay threw one against the Florida Marlins on May 29, 2010. It was the third in White Sox's history, joining Mark Buehrle against Tampa Bay on July 23, 2009, and Charles Robertson against Detroit on April 30, 1922.

''This is awesome,'' Humber said. ''I'm so thankful.''

With the White Sox lined up on the top step of the dugout, Humber fell behind 3-0 to Michael Saunders leading off the ninth. But he rebounded to strike him out. John Jaso then flied out before Brendan Ryan, another pinch-hitter, struck out to end the game.

Ryan took a checked swing and missed at a full-count pitch, but the ball got away from catcher A.J. Pierzynski. Ryan lingered outside the batter's box for a minute, unsure of umpire Brian Runge's call, and Pierzynski fired to first to complete the play.

Humber, who was involved in a trade for Johan Santana in 2008, fell to his knees went it was over, and his teammates rushed toward the mound to congratulate him.

''I don't know that I dominated them,'' Humber said. ''Obviously the ball was hit at people. I'm thankful for that. It was a well-pitched game. Definitely something I'll never forget.''

The right-hander struck out nine and threw just 96 pitches in his first career complete game. He went to a three-ball count only three times.

It was quite a contrast to his first start of the season, when he went 5 1-3 innings and threw 115 pitches in a no-decision against Baltimore on Monday.

Humber was traded from the New York Mets to the Minnesota Twins in the deal for Santana, he bounced around for a couple of season and was acquired by the White Sox on waivers from Oakland in January 2011.

He was 9-9 with a 3.75 ERA in 163 innings last season, his first full season in the majors as a starter.

It was the majors' first no-hitter of the season. There were three last year: Francisco Liriano of Minnesota, Justin Verlander of Detroit, and Ervin Santana of the Los Angeles Angels.

It was the third no-hitter thrown against Seattle. Mark Langston and Mike Witt of the Angels combined on one on April 11, 1990, and Dwight Gooden of the Yankees threw one on May 14, 1996.

Humber struck out the side in the second while cruising through the first four innings in just 45 pitches. Chone Figgins' fly ball to left in the fourth was the first ball to reach the outfield. Dustin Ackley followed with a hard liner to right that Alex Rios reached up and stabbed.

The White Sox moved farther and farther away from Humber as he approached history, leaving him alone as he sat on the bench in the Safeco Field visitors' dugout.

Justin Smoak struck out swinging to start the eighth. Kyle Seager lofted a fly to left that looked momentarily like it had a chance to land, but was caught by Dayan Viciedo. Jesus Montero followed with an easy ground ball to second base, sending the perfect game to the ninth.

Paul Konerko hit his second home run of the season and No. 398 for his career in the second. He also had a run-scoring single in the third.

Mariners starter Blake Beavan (1-2) allowed three runs and seven hits in six innings.

Humber was drafted No. 3 overall by the New York Mets out of Rice in 2004. He reached the majors in 2006 but his career was sidetracked by the elbow injury.

He becomes the latest one-time Mets pitcher who went on to throw a no-hitter elsewhere, a group that includes Nolan Ryan, Tom Seaver, Gooden and David Cone. New York has never had a no-hitter in its 51-year history. The only other team without one is San Diego, which began play in 1969.

Notes: Coming into Saturday, the Mariners were hitting .103 over the last three games with runners in scoring position, with no extra-base hits and eight strikeouts while grounding into three double plays. . Mariners RHP Felix Hernandez has 25 career starts with seven or more shutouts innings. . Seattle reliever Hisashi Iwakuma made his major league debut Friday night, becoming the last player on an Opening Day roster who was not hurt or optioned to the minor leagues to do so. . Rios came into Saturday with an eight-game hitting streak.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/white-sox- … --mlb.html

Kenny Williams for all his faults knows how to grab pitchers who  struggled with other organizations and turn them into useful parts on the White Sox.  Danks, Floyd, and Humber were all first round picks from other teams.  He got a few good years out of Bobby Jenks.  He traded his closer from last year, Sergio Santos (who used to be a position player with ARZ) to the Blue Jays for a good prospect.

Meanwhile Red Sox bullpen has given up 15 runs in 3 innings against the Yankees.  I turned off the game when the Sox were up 9-0.

It's still early and I know they struggled in last year as well but man they need to get the pitching in shape.

They also acquired Marlon Byrd from Cubs for P Michael Bowden and a PTBNL.  I think the Cubs had to eat most of the contract.   Byrd was hitting .070 this year.  Good trade by Epstein in getting anything for Byrd even if he had to pay most of Byrd's contract.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Yeah i'm stunned. Epstein pulled a fast one, even if they ate the contract, because I thought they were gonna just have to outright release Byrd he stunk so bad. I'm stunned he even got anything, let alone with he did get.

Regardless, despite Byrd's decline offensively, I was SERIOUSLY MISS his incredible hustle, and top notch defensive. I don't remember the last time the Cubs had somebody like that in the outfield full time (part-timers like Reed Johnson & Jim Edmonds are about it).

As for the Red Sox. What a disaster. I also turned the game off the Red Sox/Yankees after it was 9-0, and turned over to the Twins/Rays, only to find out that the Yankees scored 14 runs within two half innings.

People are blaming Bobby V, but the problems were there with Tito. Already. The biggest problem is there is TOO MUCH COMFORT in that locker room.

The man love relationship between Youkilis & Pedroia NEEDS to be broken up, regardless what what fans think. Beckett or Lester needs to go too, but right now their trade value is 'nil.

There's too many clubhouse cancers in that locker room. And unless some of those people are PUNISHED for real (like inactive list, no pay), right now the inmates are running the asylum, there's no order in Boston, and there will be no wins until that changes.

Bobby V ain't the problem.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Yeah, the Red Sox are as much of a mess now than they were in September, which is simply amazing.  Now I am ever the optimist, but I don't think anyone could've foreseen things starting THIS badly.  It's been a disaster on all fronts.  I do agree that Bobby V is taking some unnecessary heat, but he hasn't really done anything to help himself in the process.

I disagree with Lester's trade value.  He's still one of the best LHP's in baseball, and his contract is quite reasonable.  His trade value is quite high, IMO.  That being said, I don't think they should aim to trade him.  He's had one bad start this year, 2 very good ones.  Same with Beckett really.  His last 2 starts have been very good.  Unlike last September, they are not the reason the team is struggling out of the gate.

Youkilis is slumping, while 3B of the future, Will Middlebrooks is ripping up AAA pitching.  It's only a matter of time until Kevin gets injured, paving the way for Middlebrooks to be called up.

Board footer