You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Re: Slash in CD sessions 2001? Illusions reunion in 96?

Trust me DJ has that radio friendly guitar playing that can give Guns the edge it needs to move the current band forward to the fans and the rock world!

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:

In my opinion Axl has one big problem: GNR as it is today has so many faces to the casual audience.

In old Guns it was Axl, Slash and Duff. Izzy was never on the spotlight, drummers were never a point of concern to the average Joe.

In new Guns you had Moby. Then Chris Vrenna. Then An ever growing liat of guitar players that were enlisted but never even became members of the band but milked on the publicity GNR gave 'em. Then Tommy. Finck. Years of silence and the Buckethead. Finck again. Fortus. Bumblefoot. (i wont be numbering drummers and kb players for the sake of argument but you get the point). Ashba.

That's the main problem, people cannot relate to a Guns N Roses anymore, just to Axl.

I see two solutions: assume Axl is GnR and do not try to sell a band image
Or
Negotiate long term commitment to release and touring and set what is GNR to a five men lineup, with others being Teddies, Tracies and Robertas as in additional touring musicians.

Something like this:
Guns N' Roses is Axl, Tommy, Ashba, Bumble and Ferrer. On tour we're joined by pittman, reed and fortus.

shotgunblues1978
 Rep: 11 

To be fair, DJ has never written with someone even close to Axl's talent before. 

If I had to take a guess I'd say the current lineup will make a more straight ahead hard rock album that the general public claims to want from Guns.  It will be interesting to see what happens.

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:

I think that's what they will do but in the meantime axl will put out cd2

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
ottosporteman wrote:

In my opinion Axl has one big problem: GNR as it is today has so many faces to the casual audience.

In old Guns it was Axl, Slash and Duff. Izzy was never on the spotlight, drummers were never a point of concern to the average Joe.

In new Guns you had Moby. Then Chris Vrenna. Then An ever growing liat of guitar players that were enlisted but never even became members of the band but milked on the publicity GNR gave 'em. Then Tommy. Finck. Years of silence and the Buckethead. Finck again. Fortus. Bumblefoot. (i wont be numbering drummers and kb players for the sake of argument but you get the point). Ashba.

I think the opposite. The band didn't have enough faces. The out-of-the-loop guys who can't talk about anything and didn't have (don't have) the chance to show their talent with new music will never be recognized. Never. A mask and a yellow rain coat will only make you a weirdo and not a legend, if that's all you can give to the public, for whatever reasons (Axl tongue).
Randy Rhoads became Randy Rhoads and Zakk Wylde became Zakk Wylde cause they wrote helluva new stuff. Not because they played Iommi's stuff better or worse for 2 decades.

ottosporteman wrote:

That's the main problem, people cannot relate to a Guns N Roses anymore, just to Axl.

Or
Negotiate long term commitment to release and touring and set what is GNR to a five men lineup, with others being Teddies, Tracies and Robertas as in additional touring musicians.

Something like this:
Guns N' Roses is Axl, Tommy, Ashba, Bumble and Ferrer. On tour we're joined by pittman, reed and fortus.

The problem is the lack of new music. Period. The fact that they are employees who are too afraid to talk about anything (and Axl barely talks - if he does, it often makes things worse or just a vague, double' talkin' bullshit), just makes it even worse. Axl can send out band pictures with every press release, it won't change anything.
They can cry as much they want about people still associate Slash with Guns N' Roses - hell, it'll always be the case. The guy just did too much great music to be forgotten. Write and release a shitload of quality new music and even other people will be associated with Guns N' Roses. Then we'd have two or more eras in the band's career, just like Ozzy had a Black Sabbath era with Tony, an early solo era with mostly Randy and a long solo era with Zakk.
But in GN'R's case it's the Live Era with Slash, then the Dead Era, and now we're in the Zombie era with 70-80 percent of the material they play live is still written by Slash, Duff and Izzy. What a joke. And Axl is crying about Slash's image being associated with GN'R too much? Wake up, you're making it worse every night.
Man up, write and release new music, then play it instead of 75 percent of AFD and a growing percent of UYI. Choose new covers if needed, but not the ones people associate with classic GN'R. Don't live in the past, don't try to sell that it's the same band, just 'some players changed'. Live in the present and work, work, work. You still have a few years to prove your and your new new band's worth.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:
ottosporteman wrote:

I think the opposite. The band didn't have enough faces. The out-of-the-loop guys who can't talk about anything and didn't have (don't have) the chance to show their talent with new music will never be recognized. Never. A mask and a yellow rain coat will only make you a weirdo and not a legend, if that's all you can give to the public, for whatever reasons (Axl tongue).
Randy Rhoads became Randy Rhoads and Zakk Wylde became Zakk Wylde cause they wrote helluva new stuff. Not because they played Iommi's stuff better or worse for 2 decades.

ottosporteman wrote:

Or

Something like this:

The problem is the lack of new music. Period. The fact that they are employees who are too afraid to talk about anything (and Axl barely talks - if he does, it often makes things worse or just a vague, double' talkin' bullshit), just makes it even worse. Axl can send out band pictures with every press release, it won't change anything.
They can cry as much they want about people still associate Slash with Guns N' Roses - hell, it'll always be the case. The guy just did too much great music to be forgotten. Write and release a shitload of quality new music and even other people will be associated with Guns N' Roses. Then we'd have two or more eras in the band's career, just like Ozzy had a Black Sabbath era with Tommi, an early solo era with mostly Randy and a long solo era with Zakk.
But in GN'R's case it's the Live Era with Slash, then the Dead Era, and now we're in the Zombie era with 70-80 percent of the material they play live is still written by Slash, Duff and Izzy. What a joke. And Axl is crying about Slash's image being associated with GN'R too much? Wake up, you're making it worse every night.
Man up, write and release new music, then play it instead of 75 percent of AFD and a growing percent of UYI. Choose new covers if needed, but not the ones people associate with classic GN'R. Don't live in the past, don't try to sell that it's the same band, just 'some players changed'. Live in the present and work, work, work. You still have a few years to prove your and your new new band's worth.

There is NOTHING else to say. Mikka just said it all and nailed it.  22

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

Mikka should manage Axl!! There it is all wrapped up.
It would be a waste though, he'd be sacked after one day.

johndivney wrote:

he wouldn't last a day!
him or axl woulda killed the other after about 15mins.
& that's assuming he gets past beta.

he is 100% ot$ w/that post.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
smoke wrote:

I firmly believe Robin could've been that guy. He meshed well with Axl's edgy side, and allowed him to express the extremes of his emotions in a new way. One that let Axl move on from the sleaze that was Appetite and the bombast that was UYI into electronica and sampling and controlled chaos and heavy layering. If he hadn't left the first time, I think things may have turned out very differently.

The problem is the guy can't play 75% of what they play at concerts accurately.  Even if somehow this guy that at the time had zero writing credits at that age was the best songwriter ever, he couldn't provide the most important part of keeping the band around. 

If Robin hadn't left the first time, NOTHING would have been different.  The only way things would have been different is if Axl left.

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
smoke wrote:

I firmly believe Robin could've been that guy. He meshed well with Axl's edgy side, and allowed him to express the extremes of his emotions in a new way. One that let Axl move on from the sleaze that was Appetite and the bombast that was UYI into electronica and sampling and controlled chaos and heavy layering. If he hadn't left the first time, I think things may have turned out very differently.

The problem is the guy can't play 75% of what they play at concerts accurately.  Even if somehow this guy that at the time had zero writing credits at that age was the best songwriter ever, he couldn't provide the most important part of keeping the band around. 

If Robin hadn't left the first time, NOTHING would have been different.  The only way things would have been different is if Axl left.

I get what you're saying, but putting aside my enjoyment of Robin's playing style, I think over time Axl could have just had Fortus/Bumble up front on the classic stuff, and still made good use of Robin for collab and the newer (at the time) stuff.

Either way, the world of GNR is a world of what-ifs, unfortunately.

Board footer