You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Shinedown "Amaryllis"

Axlin16 wrote:

This came out a few days ago.

"Bully"... the first single off of Shinedown's follow-up album to 2008's smash hit "The Sound of Madness".

The new album is called "Amaryllis" and is due out March 27th, 2012.

"Bully"

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Basic, simplistic, straight-forward... Shinedown.

Appeals to the Creed, Nickleback fans... but there was always something "more" to Shinedown to me. Better melodies, better sound, I just liked it more than those other bands.

Either way you either get this stuff or you don't. It's melodic rock for the modern day, but i've always looked at music as "it's good or it's not".

And this is good. Am I blown away by it? No, it seems to be another "Sound of Madness"-the song, clone, but it's got a great melody, great vibe, and although the lyrics are VERY basic, you can't help but to love the song as it sticks in your head.

Nice message too, and i'm sure this will turn into an anti-bullying message instantly.

Bullying wouldn't exist if the crowd were to stand together and fight back. Alot of our problems wouldn't. But the world is a big giant pussy in sandals.

Lomax wrote:

The first shinedown album was actually fucking amazing. Sound of madness was a little too "pop" for a hard rock outfit I think.

This gem though.... I used to love this:

Actually that said about the last album.... The crow and the butterfly is a CHOON

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

He's got maybe the best voice in rock and roll, has for years. I dug their first album, like a little of their other stuff.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

^^

I thought their second-album "Us and Them" fucking SUCKED. I mean unlistenable sucked. I have no clue what happened, although I heard their was alot of internal strife and lineup changes. There's like one song on that album I like, Save Me.

I thought Sound of Madness was a great follow-up to Leave A Whisper.

@Riad:

I always thought the ambient remix of "Crow and the Butterfly" was the better version of the song. It was featured on the deluxe edition release of Madness. Sounds like it's straight out of a Michael Mann film...

I hope Axl's got some Chris Pitman/Marco Beltrami/Paul Buckmaster tracks hiding in the vault that sound like this.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Story of my life

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Album review:

Pretty much anything can be better than the sucktastic Us and Them, but Amaryllis continues to the momentum of Shinedown, despite just a single in four years since The Sound of Madness. Smith still vocally shines and the melodies are instantly catchy. Some tracks kinda revive a bit of that darker nature from Leave A Whisper (For My Sake, My Name & Through The Ghost) immediately come to mind, but pound for pound this is just a straight up sequel to Sound of Madness. The production is almost identical, the hooks, fills, melodies, chorus, and overall tone is virtually identical. Not necessarily in a bad way, but more of a "more of the same" way. Amaryllis is the "Halloween II" to Sound of Madness "Halloween". Tone is identical to it's predecessor and it just picks up where it left off, but in the process of being a bit "more" in all the places, a little more aggressive, a little more self-reflective, a little more sappy... the heart is also lost somewhat, like 'going for gore' to create more suspense.

While listening you can't help but think this was an album "made for the consumer" rather than an album made by the artist as a statement. As with most sequels, Shinedown decided to give you want they think you want, rather than tell you what you want.

Either way, if you like Shinedown -- you'll like this record, if not love it. But is it better than Leave A Whisper? No. Is it better than Sound of Madness? No, also. Is it bad? Not at all. I just think that the tried and true format of the band at this point is getting a bit AC/DC of post-grunge. Good, reliable... but predictable. Now they they've got this album out of their systems, it'd be nice for the next album, whether EP or LP or just singles, to take a few more chances. Don't suck like Us and Them, but maybe try some different stuff and see what happens, but this is a band that is very much becoming an AC/DC and more than likely is gonna be that for their generation. You like Shinedown -- this is what you get. And it's good, but no new ground at the same time.

Tracks:

1. Adrenaline
2. Bully
3. Amaryllis
4. Unity

5. Enemies
6. I'm Not Alright
7. Nowhere Kids
8. Miracle
9. I'll Follow You
10. For My Sake

11. My Name (Wearing Me Out)
12. Through The Ghost

*tracks in bold are the best ones (in my opinion)

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

I am gonna check this one out too, Shinedown is one of the very few modern day rock bands that I can listen and enjoy.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Heard a few songs on ESPN.. I think they sound generic

Board footer