You are not logged in. Please register or login.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

Re: Slash on Piers Morgan

-D- wrote:

good interview tonight on CNN

will post youtube when it gets on there.

Slash basically said he quit GNR cause Axl tried to make him sign a contract to join his NEW band Guns N Roses

how shitty is that?

preview

http://piersmorgan.blogs.cnn.com/2012/0 … it-coming/

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

And we've known that for years, that's not new news.

Basically Slash is referring to the 1995, infamous "I quit" letter Axl sent Slash & Duff (Uzi Suicide) saying he was leaving the band partnership, and taking the name with him, and he was happy to extend them the offer of joining his new partnership, where they'd be his contract players.

The other story that's not told during that period from Axl's point of view was Slash's continued drug use, and Duff's near death state of alcoholism. It might've been a protection mechanism on Axl's part during that time, more than a "fuck you, not me" moment.

Did anybody find out on the actual broadcast what Slash's actual "final words" to Axl were? I'd be interested in knowing that.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

If Axl was just being a nice guy and worried about his band why didn't he tell the boys to get sober or else he would move on to his new GNR? If he cared about them an intervention or threat (like they gave Stephen) would have been the decent way to go first before going the legalised fuck you route.

Axl was not in this for the band anymore. He was in it for the brand.

I'm starting to believe that Axl's original plan was to get the name, live off the monies the name generates, release an album every few years and not bother touring very much (because pre-Napster etc he probably assumed he's sell a few million copies each time out without having to promote).

It didn't work that way for him because he found out that writing large amounts of songs as good as the big ones on AFD & UYIs  was much harder than he thought, plus Slash would not die or become a recluse so the old band memory was being kept alive in the publics mind.

That's really why he hates Slash, the man would not disappear.

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Gibbo wrote:

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

Did anybody find out on the actual broadcast what Slash's actual "final words" to Axl were? I'd be interested in knowing that.

He just said it was something to the effect of "I'm done". Telling Axl he was leaving the band. Not a profanity laced tirade or anything.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

I thought it was interesting how Slash says he never left Guns N' Roses he just simply had no desire to join Axl's new band "Guns N' Roses".  If that's indeed how it actually went down I honestly don't blame Slash one bit.

Bono

Bono wrote:
Intercourse wrote:

If Axl was just being a nice guy and worried about his band why didn't he tell the boys to get sober or else he would move on to his new GNR? If he cared about them an intervention or threat (like they gave Stephen) would have been the decent way to go first before going the legalised fuck you route.

Axl was not in this for the band anymore. He was in it for the brand.

I'm starting to believe that Axl's original plan was to get the name, live off the monies the name generates, release an album every few years and not bother touring very much (because pre-Napster etc he probably assumed he's sell a few million copies each time out without having to promote).

It didn't work that way for him because he found out that writing large amounts of songs as good as the big ones on AFD & UYIs  was much harder than he thought, plus Slash would not die or become a recluse so the old band memory was being kept alive in the publics mind.

That's really why he hates Slash, the man would not disappear.

Agreed 100% This is a great post!

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Surprise, surprise, I disagree pretty much 100% 16

I think whatever plan Axl had backfired, but tbh, I don't think Axl has any kind of set plans for anything. I haven't seen any kind of agenda in the way he operates this band. If it weren't for the other guys and even semi-competent managers back in the day, GN'R would operate exactly how it does now from the very start, as a meandering disaster with loads of wasted potential.

To see Axl as some evil genius, plotting and scheming (from when exactly?) to take the "brand name" I just don't buy, because to say Axl plans anything is laughable. I see it as more a, "It's my way or the highway." And seeing he asked Slash to stay, and Marc saying he wanted him to play on CD if he apologized for lying, I just don't get his "agenda" was to destroy Slash, or whatever. Not using the band name, no matter what anyone says, would not have changed a single thing, or a single ounce of hatred towards him from the old line up fans. Zero. If you hate him now, you'd hate him anyway.

I do agree he hates Slash and that Slash is and will always be a part of his life, which probably drives him insane, but it has nothing to do with Slash "not" disappearing, or he being successful. It's the fact that he his permanently joined at the hip with someone he hates, someone he's had animoisty towards since the beginning of their relationship, even when he loved the guy. I don't see Axl being anything other than apathetic when it comes to his career.

Could he base all his feeling on spite, anger, betrayal, hurt and pettiness over Slash... Well, yeah... Is he jealous over Slash's success? I think so.

The thing I don't understand, how was Slash asked to join the new Guns N' Roses when the new Guns N' Roses didn't even exist? Did this happen after he left? Why is this coming out now, when all this time, it was Axl's inability to co-exist with Slash and make an album? I'd like to hear Duff's side of this.

I'm not discounting the fact that there probably was a contract involved. I absolutely believe that could be legit. I just find it hard to believe that all of this rests on the shoulders of one person, Axl or Slash.

And FTR, they did try interventions with Slash and even hired a bodyguard to stay with him around the clock to keep him off heroin, which didn't work.

Bono

Bono wrote:

You're reading way too much into what Intercourse is saying I think. All he's saying, at least how I took it, is that Axl took the brand name and wanted Gn'R to be his vision and his vision alone. He then offered the other guys contracts to help facilitate his vision yet had no intention of ever taking what they had to say seriously. He maneuvered his way into a  position where he could essentially run Gn'R the way Trent Reznor runs  NIN or Robert Smith runs The Cure. That's what he did, that was his "master plan".

What Intercourse is saying is his "evil genius scheme" regardless of how well thought out severely backfired.  By saying Axl was "in it for the brand" all he's saying is Axl wanted the brand name for himself to do with it whatever he pleased. Inviting Slash and whoever else to stay on as contract players is a fucking insult and when they balked at that he was forced into finding newbies to replace the old guys.

It'd be like planning  trip with some friends and then midway through decide you're gonna change the dynamics of the group and the itinerary of the trip without asking for any input from the rest of the group. Whoever wants to follow and do what you tell them to can come but you're not open to suggestions. As opposed to planning a  trip together and making decisions on things as a group. It was Axl's way or the highway like you said and the other guys chose the highway. To be honest most artists with integrity would've done the same.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:
misterID wrote:

The thing I don't understand, how was Slash asked to join the new Guns N' Roses when the new Guns N' Roses didn't even exist? Did this happen after he left? Why is this coming out now, when all this time, it was Axl's inability to co-exist with Slash and make an album? I'd like to hear Duff's side of this.

That's long been my understanding - what Slash said.  I think it was described in Chinese Whispers too. 

Axl had got control of the name a couple of years earlier, then when things went pear shaped post the Illusion Tour and TSI etc, Axl basically left the original partnership agreement, took the name with him, then set up a new partnership which Slash and Duff were offered to join as paid employees.  That's why I always laugh when people bag Slash and say "well he left the band".  Technically he never left, Axl is the one that did.

This isn't new info from Slash either this has been around for years.

Axl was the last remaining member of the Recording Agreement, since the others ended up leaving so they weren't liable for the already significant costs that were being racked up for Chi Dem.  But I believe the Partnership Agreement between Slash, Duff and Axl s a different thing and it's Axl that left that one with the name.  Apex-Twin care to chime in and clarify?

Board footer