You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: The BATMAN Thread

Axlin16 wrote:

I also thought that was incredibly stupid. Superman was made out to be an almost Christ-like figure. His whole purpose was being the absolute purest of pure and representing everything that is right with humanity. That 'S' on his chest is practically a badge for man. 'Super'-man because he's basically better than the average man and is what we all aren't.

That entire story was beyond poorly written, poorly conceptualized, and completely against character.

I guarantee you some guy sat in his room typing that up thinking it was "edgy" and made the character "vunerable". No dude, it makes you slow and overthinking your writing.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

Although DiCaprio looks similar to the comic Riddler pictured above, as well as the TAS and Arkham video game Riddler...

Something just, I could not see Leo as The Riddler. I don't think it's because of any kind of 'camp' nature, it's just Leo has such a dominate, alpha male personality like a modern Steve McQueen, that I would struggle to buy him as a dark, hyper-intelligent, dis-enfranchised Wayne Enterprises researcher who becomes a geeky, OCD-fueled anti-social throwing cryptic serial killer-like Riddles for Batman.

Would be a great character, but one I would see Joseph Gordon Levitt playing, before I would see Leonardo DiCaprio playing it.

Crispin Glover would be perfect for the role, but might be too old and too no-name for WB.

I've always felt that Tom Cruise would be great as the Riddler. I can absolutely picture him playing the role as you described Axlin. To me it's an almost painfully obvious match.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

I also thought that was incredibly stupid. Superman was made out to be an almost Christ-like figure. His whole purpose was being the absolute purest of pure and representing everything that is right with humanity. That 'S' on his chest is practically a badge for man. 'Super'-man because he's basically better than the average man and is what we all aren't.

That entire story was beyond poorly written, poorly conceptualized, and completely against character.

I guarantee you some guy sat in his room typing that up thinking it was "edgy" and made the character "vunerable". No dude, it makes you slow and overthinking your writing.

Agreed ith all of that.

Hidden Text:

like what the fuck. Superman is some dead beat loser who fucks off on his pregnant girlfriend? Yeah fucking right!

Would be like remaking Star Wars and having Luke join Vader and ruling the galaxy as father and son. Fuck off 16

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

Although DiCaprio looks similar to the comic Riddler pictured above, as well as the TAS and Arkham video game Riddler...

Something just, I could not see Leo as The Riddler. I don't think it's because of any kind of 'camp' nature, it's just Leo has such a dominate, alpha male personality like a modern Steve McQueen, that I would struggle to buy him as a dark, hyper-intelligent, dis-enfranchised Wayne Enterprises researcher who becomes a geeky, OCD-fueled anti-social throwing cryptic serial killer-like Riddles for Batman.

Would be a great character, but one I would see Joseph Gordon Levitt playing, before I would see Leonardo DiCaprio playing it.

Crispin Glover would be perfect for the role, but might be too old and too no-name for WB.

Biggest problem with DiCaprio being cast in this type of role would be the fact he is too well known. It is the exact same reason that I feel Ledger's performance as the Joker is more believable than Nicholson's. Ledger completely disappeared into it, whereas Nicholson was still recognizable enough that my suspension of disbelief is kind of shattered when I watch it. I'm always aware that's Jack Nicholson as the Joker. If you showed me footage of Ledger's Joker and didn't tell me who it was, I wouldn't even know to be honest. Same type of problem would happen if you put DiCaprio or Brad Pitt as Bruce Wayne. Lesser known actors have more freedom to dive into the characterization and prevent the shattered suspension of disbelief.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Yeah but they can't be TOO unknown, because they have to have some status for a high budget, high profile project such as "Batman".

I agree with Nicholson, and usually argue that with most would immediately claim "Jack". To me, as someone who thinks "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest" is one of the greatest films ever made, everytime I see Nicholson's Joker, I immediately think two things, 1) Nicholson revived MacMurphy in a purple suit and face paint, as Nicholson's Joker seemed more intelligent and street savvy than Wayne, and 2) it was unoriginal and a rearrangement of Cesar Romero's classic Joker.

I always thought Danny DeVito's Penguin was underrated for that. Total fuckin' character, unseen before. You had no clue it was DeVito. It was purely Penguin.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

Yeah but they can't be TOO unknown, because they have to have some status for a high budget, high profile project such as "Batman".

I agree with Nicholson, and usually argue that with most would immediately claim "Jack". To me, as someone who thinks "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest" is one of the greatest films ever made, everytime I see Nicholson's Joker, I immediately think two things, 1) Nicholson revived MacMurphy in a purple suit and face paint, as Nicholson's Joker seemed more intelligent and street savvy than Wayne, and 2) it was unoriginal and a rearrangement of Cesar Romero's classic Joker.

I always thought Danny DeVito's Penguin was underrated for that. Total fuckin' character, unseen before. You had no clue it was DeVito. It was purely Penguin.

DeVito was great. Pfeiffer was great as well. Along with Cuckoo, I also felt Jack's Joker performance was riffing on his performance in the Shining.

On the topic of name recognition, the best thing to do is go against type. That way you have a name, but he/she isn't rehashing some other performance like Jack did. Ledger was a name, but no one thought he could be a great Joker except Chris Nolan. People mocked the casting of Ledger.

Same goes for Michael Keaton as Batman. Everyone thought that was ridiculous because he was famous for comedies, but then he got in there and knocked it out of the park just like Ledger. Burton saw something in Keaton's eyes that made him think, "OK this guy looks crazy enough to dress up in a costume and fight crime." It turned out to be a brilliant choice.

Another example of this is Gary Oldman as Gordon. He was known for playing a bunch of over the top bad guys in his career, and yet he transformed completely into the role of Gotham's only good cop. Nolan and Oldman's Gordon is a great gift to the fans after years of the character being treated like a stooge in the movies.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Is there anything Gary Oldman can't do? That guy can do anything, and do it amazingly.

Oldman's Gordon in hind sight, other than The Joker, will be Nolan's master stroke on the franchise. He "got" that Batman needed a realistic and supportive, realistic hero at Gotham PD, like The Animated Series. It's basically just a port, minus Barbara.

It's gonna be a shame to lose Nolan from the series, but at the same time maybe someone can take the same character elements and carry it into a more fantastical realm.

I've said before about a darker Mr. Freeze and a better and scarier Scarecrow, but i've also wanted to see the League of Shadows angle expanded, more Ra's and Talia and talk of the Lazarus Pit that doesn't exist in Nolan's world. That would be cool.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:

I want to see a dark Mr. Freeze, Killer Croc, Man-Bat, Clayface, etc. I feel they should hand over the live action movies to Bruce Timm and Paul Dini as producers. They would get good writers and directors involved to pump out some really good stuff.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Maybe after the success of the Arkham games they will. Something tells me Christopher Nolan will be begged to stay on as a producer, ala Burton in Forever, but that doesn't mean a change in direction and tone can't be made.

Personally because Begins was such a good Bruce Wayne origin story, I hope with the next film they don't even bother doing a Bruce story. They just jump right into the steak, there's the story, you know Bruce is Batman, and that's that.

In Arkham Asylum, the story mode was interestingly moved along with Batman making his way through the Asylum and around the area. At times, Oracle would pipe in with information that not only moved the story along but also provided nice character development between her and Bruce. Those little things are what Paul Dini did with the story. It was beautiful. A new world with comic fantasy, but Nolan's mechanics, with a Animated Series tone. Sound perfect? Damn near was.

Dini got that and those little pieces just added to the world. Of course it always helps having the Conroy/Hamill tag-team bring it together vocally.

Either way those small pieces were so nice and just added to the ambience of the whole thing. Same thing in Arkham City, you were constantly reminded of all the characters. Two Face's henchmen would talk on the streets about how Two Face was gonna kill them all (even though you've already stopped him). Mr. Freeze has a lab, Penguin's Ice Lounge, Joker's Funland, Riddler's riddles & trophies scattered all over the place, all the while you've got Hugo Strange constantly coming over the PA of the place warning of 'Protocol Ten'.

It was a constant reminder of all the variables in the game, and it was the little stuff that was done beautifully.

Timm/Dini would do that fantastically with a live action movie.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Booked my tickets for IMAX screening of TDKR on July 21st, can't wait!

Board footer