You are not logged in. Please register or login.

faldor
 Rep: 280 

Re: Mönchengladbach, Germany 06/08/12

faldor wrote:

Solos are never going to be glowingly well received.  But they do give Axl some time to rest and allow the other members their time in the spotlight.  Plus, they're not true solos.  The entire band (minus) Axl get involved, so it's more of an instrumental jam.  It's not Matt Sorum banging on the drums for 4 minutes.  Sorry Matt.  Many of my friends had positive comments about the solos, covers, jams, and intros.  I'm sure they would have rather heard 4 more actual songs, but it's not a bad alternative.

I think Sky Dog mentioned awhile back, it'd be cool if Tommy did a GNR song in his solo spot instead of "Motivation".  Cool for the fans at least, but in fairness to Tommy, that's good exposure for his solo career.  Ron is doing the same thing now.  He's done a lot for the fans, so he deserves it.  And DJ has written some pretty good solo pieces that he showcases in my mind.  I'm liking Richard's new solo spot as well.

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Re: Mönchengladbach, Germany 06/08/12

Gibbo wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

Boy you guys were fuckin' totaled. Other than Angry Anderson, I don't think anybody other than Axl was singing anything on that 2007 Australian tour.

Tommy didn't start getting solo spots until 2009, AND he never wore glasses.



So without further ado....




HUH?

This freak Bubbles from the Trailer Park Boys

misterID
 Rep: 460 

Re: Mönchengladbach, Germany 06/08/12

misterID wrote:

At least there's no drum solos, like back in the day. Individual solos go with a GN'R show. Used to love Izzy and Slash's "I Was Only Joking" solo before Patience.

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Re: Mönchengladbach, Germany 06/08/12

Gibbo wrote:
misterID wrote:

At least there's no drum solos, like back in the day. Individual solos go with a GN'R show. Used to love Izzy and Slash's "I Was Only Joking" solo before Patience.

Yeah the drummer solo were 11 I just think they need to cut a few out

WARose
 Rep: 26 

Re: Mönchengladbach, Germany 06/08/12

WARose wrote:

it was an awesome show! really, really great performance by everyone involved.
it`s a shame axl had to go on stage 2 hours late and they cut the encore, but i got to hear chinese democracy, shackler`s revenge, this i love, sorry, rocket queen, estranged, don`t cry and civil war for the first time live so there`s really no complaint about the setlist on my part! axl was in a great mood and delivered big time. a critical ear could make out his obvious not so great moments during some songs, but the casual fan surely didn`t and i was there with two very casual fans, who were blown away and will go the next time as well. axl had quite a belly, but he looked fit and i didn´t expect him to move around and dance as much as he did. as i didn`t get to see him live for 6 years i almost forgot what a great performer he really is, even at 50. for the most part his voice was really good by the way.

one thing, that really stood out was the superb sound quality and the tightness of the band. they`ve come a long way as a band, that`s for sure. a big difference to 2006 was the loudness of tommys bass, which gave the songs a whole new dimension! the solos were very well received by the way, although i personally thought it was a bit too much...  definitely a good idea to make them into songs! and sorry russ, but even though i really liked robin, his awkward "solos" and dj`s ballad of death or whatever song he played are like day and night. both in quality and crowd reception.

the show ended at 0:30am and the venue was still packed, although it was heavily raining for half an hour or something. it wasn`t sold out but close to it. 
i heard the capacity was like 12.000, so i guess there wer like 11000-11500 people there.

sooo.... what did i forget? one thing i also noticed is how the band members are working the crowd now. i don`t remember a lot of interacting in 2006. i guess that`s were ashba comes in. opening act were the "rival sons" by the way. an LA based band which seems to be heavily influenced by zeppelin. i really liked them.

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Re: Mönchengladbach, Germany 06/08/12

Gibbo wrote:
WARose wrote:

it was an awesome show! really, really great performance by everyone involved.
it`s a shame axl had to go on stage 2 hours late and they cut the encore, but i got to hear chinese democracy, shackler`s revenge, this i love, sorry, rocket queen, estranged, don`t cry and civil war for the first time live so there`s really no complaint about the setlist on my part! axl was in a great mood and delivered big time. a critical ear could make out his obvious not so great moments during some songs, but the casual fan surely didn`t and i was there with two very casual fans, who were blown away and will go the next time as well. axl had quite a belly, but he looked fit and i didn´t expect him to move around and dance as much as he did. as i didn`t get to see him live for 6 years i almost forgot what a great performer he really is, even at 50. for the most part his voice was really good by the way.

one thing, that really stood out was the superb sound quality and the tightness of the band. they`ve come a long way as a band, that`s for sure. a big difference to 2006 was the loudness of tommys bass, which gave the songs a whole new dimension! the solos were very well received by the way, although i personally thought it was a bit too much...  definitely a good idea to make them into songs! and sorry russ, but even though i really liked robin, his awkward "solos" and dj`s ballad of death or whatever song he played are like day and night. both in quality and crowd reception.

the show ended at 0:30am and the venue was still packed, although it was heavily raining for half an hour or something. it wasn`t sold out but close to it. 
i heard the capacity was like 12.000, so i guess there wer like 11000-11500 people there.

sooo.... what did i forget? one thing i also noticed is how the band members are working the crowd now. i don`t remember a lot of interacting in 2006. i guess that`s were ashba comes in. opening act were the "rival sons" by the way. an LA based band which seems to be heavily influenced by zeppelin. i really liked them.

Good to hear ya had a good time mate 22

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Re: Mönchengladbach, Germany 06/08/12

faldor wrote:

Solos are never going to be glowingly well received.  But they do give Axl some time to rest and allow the other members their time in the spotlight.  Plus, they're not true solos.  The entire band (minus) Axl get involved, so it's more of an instrumental jam.  It's not Matt Sorum banging on the drums for 4 minutes.  Sorry Matt.  Many of my friends had positive comments about the solos, covers, jams, and intros.  I'm sure they would have rather heard 4 more actual songs, but it's not a bad alternative.

I think Sky Dog mentioned awhile back, it'd be cool if Tommy did a GNR song in his solo spot instead of "Motivation".  Cool for the fans at least, but in fairness to Tommy, that's good exposure for his solo career.  Ron is doing the same thing now.  He's done a lot for the fans, so he deserves it.  And DJ has written some pretty good solo pieces that he showcases in my mind.  I'm liking Richard's new solo spot as well.

Ron is the best thing to happen to this band in quite awhile. As for Tommy I'm glad he gets his moments to shine to show that he is a bad ass player. I love the song Motivation and like the rest of you, I would love to hear a Axl and Tommy duet on a new GNR album. Or give Tommy lead vocals on a whole song or two like on the UYI or Spaghetti with Izzy or Duff. It will give a classic mean sound while Axl can still have those ballads or industrial sound music like Shackler's or OMG.  DJ is also helping to reach out to the fans and those live chats and interviews seem to work out. I like Sixx AM's music too. Bought Gonna Hurt the other day. I love the Ballad of Death solo. As for Richard, his Bond theme kicks ass and his newer solo spot material is pretty good too.

monkeychow
 Rep: 634 

Re: Mönchengladbach, Germany 06/08/12

monkeychow wrote:
Bono wrote:

Pretty much shows that he can go on stage at a decent time and still deliver. Makes me belive even more that the late starts are just cause he can and he has little regard for the audience.

It doesn't rule out an anxiety or other mental problem though.

Those types of things come and go. I have a family member with it. And it's like some days we can drive her anywhere including using the underground tunnel on the freeway here. Other days she freaks out in the tunnel. Some other time she'll be nervous even leaving the house. But then the next day there will be nothing wrong with her at all.

To me that Axl can do something psychologically one day, doesn't mean he's mentally able to do it the next day necessarily....

Still you could be right too....maybe he's just an ass....

faldor
 Rep: 280 

Re: Mönchengladbach, Germany 06/08/12

faldor wrote:
WARose wrote:

sooo.... what did i forget? one thing i also noticed is how the band members are working the crowd now. i don`t remember a lot of interacting in 2006. i guess that`s were ashba comes in. opening act were the "rival sons" by the way. an LA based band which seems to be heavily influenced by zeppelin. i really liked them.

Glad you had a good time.  Just a quick note on Rival Sons.  Eddie Trunk has been pushing them for months now.  I haven't heard them myself, but have heard nothing but good things.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Re: Mönchengladbach, Germany 06/08/12

Olorin wrote:
WARose wrote:

one thing, that really stood out was the superb sound quality and the tightness of the band. they`ve come a long way as a band, that`s for sure. a big difference to 2006 was the loudness of tommys bass, which gave the songs a whole new dimension! the solos were very well received by the way, although i personally thought it was a bit too much...  definitely a good idea to make them into songs! and sorry russ, but even though i really liked robin, his awkward "solos" and dj`s ballad of death or whatever song he played are like day and night. both in quality and crowd reception.

Yeah man I really enjoyed DJs solo spot, it went down really well in Glasgow. I remember my mate, who doesnt know the new band, was saying after it finished "that was fuckin brilliant" and I was like "oh well you'll like this then..." and SCOM started and he started bouncing and clapping 16

It got me thinking, before that point I was thinking about the forum dwellers sitting at home waiting on a new song being played, and for me being there seeing the show in person, I was thinking how pointless it would be to debut a new song cause the CD songs might be old to us but the the majority of the audience these songs are still new and unknown, and to debut a brand new song from an unrealeased album would be a waste of time. It would just go over the audiences head, theres already so much going on, new faces, unknown GNR songs, unknown bandmembers solo songs... a brand new song would just be lost in it all.
Some of the CD songs went down better than others... Sorry was fucking awful, it sucked the momentum and life right out of the whole show, it took a few songs to really get going again, I've never seen a song kill an atmosphere so badly.

As for Better... I shit myself when that intro came on, nails down chalkboard at high volume, made my ears bleed. The song itself just didnt rock as hard as it does on the album. The rest of the new songs were good though and went down well.

But my point is, I was thinking all the time how a brand new song would just go over everyones head... until DJs solo spot. Noone knew what it was what he was playing but it went down a fuckin storm, great melodies, great drums and the crowd rocking along with it. It just showed me I was wrong, something new and fresh can keep the party rockin as much as the classic songs do.

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB