You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Re: The Video Game Console Thread

Axl S wrote:
alexh0618 wrote:
downliner wrote:

I bought an Xbox 360 three days ago big_smile Only have Sega Rally so far but will probably pick up a few more games this weekend

You have to pick up Call of Duty 4. Everyone that says it's better than halo 3 is right. I love the halo series but this game beats it hands down.

Quoted for truth. I love Halo 3 and I think that it's online is great for stuff like Forge etc, but COD 4 beats in in terms of Campaign and in terms of the traditional online FPS modes.

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:

COD 4 is amazing.  I've never played Halo 3 but this Call of Duty installment is near perfect.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

never been one for 1st person shooters hmm

The Neemo Says: "I am more of a 3rd person kinda guy"

Gunslinger

Gunslinger wrote:
Neemo wrote:

never been one for 1st person shooters hmm

I sometimes get nauseated from some of the first person shooters so I only play them sparingly.  I like the Tomb Raider/Resident Evil type of views better for the most part myself.  This game is just so well done it has to be played regardless.

Gunslinger

Gunslinger wrote:

To all the haters that were crying "death" to the PS3:

PlayStation 3 Outsells Xbox 360 in January, Gets Close to Wii
Posted on: February 15, 2008

The PlayStation 3 has outsold the Xbox 360 and got very close to the Nintendo Wii last month, according to the latest market research.

Wii: 274,000 units
PS3: 269,000 units
xBox 360 : 230,000
It might be that consumers are buying the console to get what is often described as the 'Best Blu-Ray Player', and by the way, it's also a game console. With HD-DVD on the edge of doom, it looks like customers are opening their wallets. 2008 should also be the year of exclusive titles like MGS4 that will further help the PlayStation 3.
Link: http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/20 … o_wii.html

I predicted some time ago that the PS3 would eventually catch up then surpass the Xbox 360 and also said that it would be the console still around 7 or 8 years from now and LEADING in the console wars...that one is yet to be seen.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

its only catching up cuz Sony has nearly cut the price in half

but i may eventually have to get one as my second system

Gunslinger

Gunslinger wrote:
Neemo wrote:

its only catching up cuz Sony has nearly cut the price in half

but i may eventually have to get one as my second system

I have to disagree there although the price was a major problem.  However, if it were merely price alone
the Xbox 360 would continue to outsell, it has a larger library and is still priced lower than the PS3 (unless you get a special edition).

Sony made a great machine that was expensive to make from the start.  Initially they were losing 200-300 dollars per unit.  Within itself that wasn't a bad idea because it is better that the platform is rock solid with huge capabilities rather than cutting corners because if the platform is solid then you have so many possiblilities with the software, and the software is where the real money comes in.

The problem was they ported most of their titles.  Bad idea...for one thing you now had an expensive machine that seemingly was no better than it's less expensive competitor.  To make matters worse these were first generation games so even the ports were not as polished as they should be.  On top of that
developers were not familiar with the hardware yet and the games being developed suffered.  This has always been the norm from the very first Playstation but moreso the PS2...there has always been a learning curve but the end results have proved worthwhile.  Many people didn't believe the claims that the PS2 was using such a small amount of its potential at launch but go look at the first-generation games and then look at recent games like Gods of War II and I think we can say the claims were true.  The same will be the case with the PS3...wait until you see what the new Gran Tourismo is going to look like...then judge.

Then you had terrible marketing by Sony.  When the PS3 came out people were waiting for 6 months to get one.  We live in a world of instant gratification so what happened? ...  People bought what was available instead of waiting around for what "may be".

Had the PS3 came out with the sort of games that are out now it would have done much better.  I also think Sony should have found a way to lower the price a bit more to ease the "sticker shock" when the PS3 first came out.  It's actually an unofficial magazine (the largest Playstation magazine of the past decade) that really made the sticker shock even worse than what it would have been.  PSM magazine reported that they had information that the PS3 was going to have a pricetag of 399 (that is where it is now and will likely remain).  Being a reputable (and the largest) Playstation magazine made expectations of a price tag around 400.00.  When the pricetag of 599.00 hit this alienated a bunch of potential customers.

The games are now getting more and more impressive.  Also more great games will be Sony exclusives and that is key to the success as well.  The Blu Ray format has also officially been hailed as the winner of the HD format wars and that will also help.  Initially I think the name Blu Ray may have hurt a bit.  For the inexperienced shopper HD-DVD made sense...high definition dvd, but what the hell was a Blu Ray.  Now that problem is eliminated.  I think the between the PS3/Xbox 360 isn't over but we will see more and more PS3 gains in the coming months.  By the end of the year I think it will be the norm that the PS3 outsells the Xbox 360 but the Wii will remain solid I think.  It has a unique market thanks to some ingenious strategies by Nintendo.  They didn't try to fight with the "big dogs" for the high definiton supremacy (Xbox 360/PS3) they instead focused on what they know is their bread and butter...fun games that are simplistic and geared (for the most part) toward kids.  That's a smart company and why Nintendo has dominated for what seems like an eternity.

AtariLegend wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:

To all the haters that were crying "death" to the PS3:

PlayStation 3 Outsells Xbox 360 in January, Gets Close to Wii

In your face Lofton. 13

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I love my PS3.  Best system I've ever owned.

Last week's hardware sales in Japan:

Hardware - This Week | Last Week | YTD | LTD
1. WII - 78,583 | 81,737 | 703,302 | 5,319,462
2. NDS - 62,362 | 60,464 | 722,180 | 21,895,231
3. PSP - 59,654 | 75,912 | 680,343 | 8,281,937
4. PS3 - 17,637 | 23,985 | 258,988 | 1,900,664
5. PS2 - 11,266 | 11,038 | 105,831 | 21,032,868
6. 360 - 2,198 | 3,615 | 35,174 | 542,515

You don't even want to know about the game chart...

Board footer