You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Newcastle UK Metro Arena - Classic Rock Review

johndivney wrote:
war wrote:

...the scope of the review.

the author is reviewing the show in itself
you are reviewing the show based on management and the politics of it all

The show in itself must be judged in the politics of it all. the review is lacking in scope.
These are important standards & criteria, & it's as worthy for acknowledgement as the late starts - or for that matter the plentiful good things about the show. If you're critiquing the show these things should be in the scope of the review.

& it's not that they're not playing enough CD, it's more that they're playing it at all. Monkeychow is otmf$ a/the idea they should be playing CD2!
(just trying & imagine the scope of the thing if that happened btw, it's a genuinely interesting idea)

Re: AFD/HoF - even if that is what's selling tickets, it's not an official tie-in/celebration tour & axl p much crapped on it even if it was styled as such so I don't really see your point??? If people are coming for AFD that's fine, but it doesn't say on the ticket that's what they'll get, y'know?

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

~"You can't repeat yourself. You can't rely on things that have been done before by anybody else, you've got to find new territory. So every time we go into the studio and every time we sit down to start talking about a live show, we ask ourselves the same question: What's never been done?"~

-The Edge-

~"You've got to give people something they've never seen before and more importantly something they've never felt before otherwise what's the point?"~

-Bono-

It's a shame that Axl relies on the past the way he does.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:
johndivney wrote:
war wrote:

...the scope of the review.

the author is reviewing the show in itself
you are reviewing the show based on management and the politics of it all

The show in itself must be judged in the politics of it all. the review is lacking in scope.
These are important standards & criteria, & it's as worthy for acknowledgement as the late starts - or for that matter the plentiful good things about the show. If you're critiquing the show these things should be in the scope of the review.

& it's not that they're not playing enough CD, it's more that they're playing it at all. Monkeychow is otmf$ a/the idea they should be playing CD2!
(just trying & imagine the scope of the thing if that happened btw, it's a genuinely interesting idea)

Re: AFD/HoF - even if that is what's selling tickets, it's not an official tie-in/celebration tour & axl p much crapped on it even if it was styled as such so I don't really see your point??? If people are coming for AFD that's fine, but it doesn't say on the ticket that's what they'll get, y'know?

the author is reviewing the show for the masses, not us

johndivney wrote:
war wrote:

so what? what's your point?

the parameters of the review, the scope of the review, any review, discussing the song selection & playing is as valid a criteria for judging the show as as the late starts.

& that review is for Classic Rock Magazine readers. it's not like it's appearing in one of the daily newspapers.
my point there is, i think a lot of the Classic Rock readers would be willing to read about the politics (for want of a better word) of the show. & maybe more importantly, a lot of them will have experienced the show at some stage & wondering if there's anything new for them - 2 of my mates didn't go the 2 most recent times they've played Ireland partially due to familiarity of their previous live experiences (fwiw, the other main reason they didnt go was the gigs took place on a weeknight). & they'd read Classic Rock. & i read it & i'd want these things discussed in the review.
& i gotta wonder about the motives why the review didn't go into detail on it. i'm p sure they're still beholden to the seriously misguided belief if they don't criticise Him too much He'll maybe deign them worth of a World Exclusive Interview someday, cause really they've always been that way & always will be. (& what's really crazy it's cause that's the way He wants it!)

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:
johndivney wrote:

& i gotta wonder about the motives why the review didn't go into detail on it. i'm p sure they're still beholden to the seriously misguided belief if they don't criticise Him too much He'll maybe deign them worth of a World Exclusive Interview someday, cause really they've always been that way & always will be. (& what's really crazy it's cause that's the way He wants it!)

Wrong.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32648924@N … otostream/

johndivney wrote:
Olorin wrote:
johndivney wrote:

Wrong.

i was wrong. good review lol!

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:
johndivney wrote:
war wrote:

so what? what's your point?

the parameters of the review, the scope of the review, any review, discussing the song selection & playing is as valid a criteria for judging the show as as the late starts.

nothing wrong with reviewing the set list

the purpose of the review is help people decide if they should go see the show

the review should not be negative because the material is old though IMO

because most people go to hear jungle and patience, etc.

any easy going reviewer catering to the easy going fan can appreciate this set list and give an accurate review of the show itself

anyone that doesn't already know all the info you are wanting included in the review isn't gonna care, making it irrelevant

certainly nothing wrong with including objective setlist info so people know for sure what they can expect to hear though

Ali
 Rep: 41 

Ali wrote:
johndivney wrote:

Now's not the time for praise, IMO.

There was a time for praise. 3/4 yrs ago, 2 yrs ago even.

Now is the time to be looking for new material.

No. The article was a review of the live show, not a lament for new material.  That was not the purpose of the review, not even close. 

I understand your frustration, but the a review of the live show is not the proper avenue to vent that frustration and frankly would mean that you are actually reviewing the show itself to include such criticisms.  As war said, this live review was for the general public, not us.  You are speaking from the perspective of a hardcore fan, but that was not the target audience for a live review in a large circulation publication like that.

Ali

johndivney wrote:
Ali wrote:
johndivney wrote:

No. The article was a review of the live show, not a lament for new material.  That was not the purpose of the review, not even close. 

I understand your frustration, but the a review of the live show is not the proper avenue to vent that frustration and frankly would mean that you are actually reviewing the show itself to include such criticisms.  As war said, this live review was for the general public, not us.  You are speaking from the perspective of a hardcore fan, but that was not the target audience for a live review in a large circulation publication like that.

Ali

yea, we wouldnt want that to happen tongue

whatever.. I disagree & I explained so earlier it's not a big deal.

Ali
 Rep: 41 

Ali wrote:
johndivney wrote:
Ali wrote:
johndivney wrote:

Ali

yea, we wouldnt want that to happen tongue

whatever.. I disagree & I explained so earlier it's not a big deal.

That was a typo, I meant to say, "you are NOT actually reviewing the show itself".

Ali

Board footer