You are not logged in. Please register or login.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Re: Bumblefoot not happy? Speculating....

faldor wrote:

Yeah, I have no problem with what Slash or Axl do.  I may have some problems with what Axl DOESN'T do, but that's a different story.  The only real problems I've had with Slash's decisions in the past were appearing on American Idol as a "mentor".  I despise that show, so that was tough to stomach.  If I was a fan of the show, I may have felt different.  I thought the Paradise City cover with Cypress Hill was awful, and the same with that Baby Can't Drive song with Nicole Sherzinger.  But overall, I understand why he does what he does and can't fault him for putting forth the effort.  Axl has made plenty of bad decisions himself over the years, and he doesn't put forth half the effort Slash does.

But didn't the Nicole Scherzinger thing happen organically? As in, she got sang with Camp Freddy, and presumably Slash said, "You've got a good set of pipes, want to sing on the solo album?" Fair enough, there's a commercial consideration there – her name will sell a few copies of the record to the pop crowd – but it's not some cynically manufactured marketing opportunity.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

johndivney wrote:

He's entitled to dick-all IMO

If he's unhappy he's plenty of options. Being a little pussy bitch online should be the last thing he does, but he seems to do it a lot..

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:

Calling him a pussy after the amount of pain he's dealt with is crazy. On top of that, on top of him being awesome to the fans, on top of him hanging in there CLEARLY hoping to be part of carrying something new forward, I'd say the FEW times he's complained have been extremely fewer than any sane person would have predicted.

Of course he has options, but it's got to grate on him to have to come to terms with the reality of a job that can support his family in ways that being a guitar teacher never could, and the reality of being in a place where so MUCH could be done, but so LITTLE is. He's in a golden cage until Axl decides to actually DO something. Add to that, that he can't even begin to address the real questions people have of a band he's supposedly a member of. Until they release new music, he's a hired hand. And I wouldn't be surprised at all that he was cool with that for the first 2,3, even 4 years. But now he's starting to notice that cage.  What would YOU do? As a guy with a wife and kids, I'd keep taking the paycheck for their benefit. As a musician (who's already dealt with major mental roadblocks in the past), I'd be sinking into depression and frustration.
I wouldn't be surprised to see him go, but I'd be sad to see him leave, and more potential squandered.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

I hope he stays, he's a wizard on the geetar and he's the closest thing we've got to an honest man in that band.

I was well impressed with him in Glasgow, I've read forum nerds complaining that he isnt a rocker and has no stage presence, but I thought he oozed coolness and his playing was like nectar for the ears, he was in a class of his own.

I especially liked it when he was hit by something from the crowd and he just smiled at the guy and gave him the middle finger for a few minutes whilst casually playing the Nightrain solo one handed 14

johndivney wrote:
russtcb wrote:
johndivney wrote:

He's entitled to dick-all IMO

If he's unhappy he's plenty of options. Being a little pussy bitch online should be the last thing he does, but he seems to do it a lot..

Sometimes I wonder if posts like these are made strictly for shock value.

All members of the board should receive the same treatment though so since Ron is member here I'd ask that you not throw direct insults like the one above his way.

Fair enough. Apologies.
I'd edit it but you've quoted my assholeness so I can't deny it but if it means that much delete my post. 19

smoke wrote:

Calling him a pussy after the amount of pain he's dealt with is crazy. On top of that, on top of him being awesome to the fans, on top of him hanging in there CLEARLY hoping to be part of carrying something new forward, I'd say the FEW times he's complained have been extremely fewer than any sane person would have predicted.

Of course he has options, but it's got to grate on him to have to come to terms with the reality of a job that can support his family in ways that being a guitar teacher never could, and the reality of being in a place where so MUCH could be done, but so LITTLE is. He's in a golden cage until Axl decides to actually DO something. Add to that, that he can't even begin to address the real questions people have of a band he's supposedly a member of. Until they release new music, he's a hired hand. And I wouldn't be surprised at all that he was cool with that for the first 2,3, even 4 years. But now he's starting to notice that cage.  What would YOU do? As a guy with a wife and kids, I'd keep taking the paycheck for their benefit. As a musician (who's already dealt with major mental roadblocks in the past), I'd be sinking into depression and frustration.
I wouldn't be surprised to see him go, but I'd be sad to see him leave, and more potential squandered.

I'd do what made me happy, which is ultimately in my best interests. I wouldn't get caught out in this cage in the first place.

I also wouldn't air my dirty laundry in public.
If I criticised my employers in public continually I'd be sanctioned & eventually dismissed I imagine (if anyone gave a shit). Let's face it a lotta people hate their jobs/bosses whatever but still manage to act professionally*.

He's a terrific player & has been above & beyond in dealing w/the fans & he's been brilliant touring while injured but none of that excuses his behaviour - it's bad form & wearisome. Like what does he want us to do about it? What good can possibly come from saying that shit in a public forum?? (maybe the answer is it's the only way he gets Axl to notice him... it does seem pathetic & desperate, unbecoming & unprofessional*)

* i actually do appreciate his outbursts on some level, to ref Olorins point about him not being a rocker, in a sense it does show he does at least have some balls so I was deco wrong to call him a pussy. You'd nvr get that honesty from the likes of 4tus for instance..

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

I agree that Slash did some guest appearances for the money, but not all of them, for sure. Do you think Elan could offer him enough? Do you think Fergie pays him a dime? Hell, no. Being in the spotlight to help him succeed isn't on the same selling-out level than playing as a millionaire's birthday party band.

You're creating an argument that I never intended on partaking in.  I never said Slash was a bigger media whore than Axl.  I never said Axl does everything for the right reasons.  I said they both are in it for the money, just in vastly different ways.  If you want to take the time to examine who's way is more viable than the others, be my guest.  That wasn't my agenda, and I could honestly care less.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:
faldor wrote:

Yeah, I have no problem with what Slash or Axl do.  I may have some problems with what Axl DOESN'T do, but that's a different story.  The only real problems I've had with Slash's decisions in the past were appearing on American Idol as a "mentor".  I despise that show, so that was tough to stomach.  If I was a fan of the show, I may have felt different.  I thought the Paradise City cover with Cypress Hill was awful, and the same with that Baby Can't Drive song with Nicole Sherzinger.  But overall, I understand why he does what he does and can't fault him for putting forth the effort.  Axl has made plenty of bad decisions himself over the years, and he doesn't put forth half the effort Slash does.

But didn't the Nicole Scherzinger thing happen organically? As in, she got sang with Camp Freddy, and presumably Slash said, "You've got a good set of pipes, want to sing on the solo album?" Fair enough, there's a commercial consideration there – her name will sell a few copies of the record to the pop crowd – but it's not some cynically manufactured marketing opportunity.

I didn't say it was.  I said I hated the song.  Therefore, I hated his decision to do the song with her.  Hence, ONE of the decisions he's made that I did not agree with.  Again, I don't fault him for giving it a go.  And some people did enjoy the song, so it certainly isn't a total loss.  But personally I thought it was one of the lamest songs I've ever heard in my life, at least lyrically.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

The thing about a pain condition is there's so much more to it than the actual pain.

It's the psychological stress of being in constant pain - firstly, you loose "fun" in your life - because the pain is always there - all the times a normal person 'switches off' like when you watch a movie or play a song and go into the world of the song/movie - you can't do that because the pain snaps you back to concentrating on your physical presence.

Secondly, you loose hope because your NEVER free from it and you know there's no way out in our world.

Thirdly, you have the psychological pressure of knowing that you didn't used to be in pain - you remember how easily you lived your life, how you could forget about your body, how you could do simple things without the terrible consequences doing them can have now. Then you start to envy people who still can.

Fourthly, most people with pain problems also can't sleep well cos of the pain - which aggravates the stress on the mind.

Fifthly, the world is designed for people who are not in pain - so things like holding down your job, going about your day, they are a thousand times harder with endless pain and the reality is that most people just plain do not understand not only the physical cost of it but the MENTAL strain.

And that's why ANYTHING ron says at this point to me is understandable. I'm sure he loves Axl and the guys...and I'm sure he - more even than us - wants a shot to contribute to the legacy - wants GNR to be all it could and so on - and the way stuff plays out could well be just as frustrating to him as it is to fans - but because of the physical and mental stress he's under...sometimes he cracks and lets you see how much he suffers.

Seriously unless you've experienced a similar condition I don't think you should judge him. The fact that he's hanging on and still doing good stuff for fans like the surprise presents and things is fucking well saintly...most people in his shoes would have packed it in.

Board footer