You are not logged in. Please register or login.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

Re: Jamey Johnson

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Lately i've been on a HUGE Jamey Johnson kick. This guy is just mad talented. Although definitely stick with his most recent albums, The Lonesome Song & the most recent double-album, The Guitar Song. It's weird, it's almost like you can hear Waylon Jennings ghost on some songs. Johnson has so many different influences you can hear in the songs, from classic country to outlaw country to blues to southern rock to even grunge. Great voice too. The resurrection of outlaw country, totally. Stay away from his first two albums though, there packed with redneck anthems (hate that stuff), if you're in to it, go for it. The last track on The Dollar album "Lead Me Home", has more of a feel akin to his newest outlaw stuff.

I haven't been stunned by an artist like this in a long time, great stuff. And I got to get BLS mad thanks for turning me on to this guy. Thanks man.

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

NY Giants82
 Rep: 26 

NY Giants82 wrote:

I just want to add that Jamey Johnson is the real deal, and not that fake, pop country bullshit on the radio today.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Alabama Boy representing!!!

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
NY Giants82 wrote:

I just want to add that Jamey Johnson is the real deal, and not that fake, pop country bullshit on the radio today.

Right on. I'm all over this album when it comes out. 21

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

I picked up the album the other day at Wal-Mart

It sucks. Seriously. Flat, typical covers album.

Doesn't really pick up until Track 8, a duet on "The Eagle" with George Strait. The rest of the tracks get good after that, but the second half is alot stronger.

Either way it wasn't worth a purchase. This is something you throw in as a bonus disc to your new original album.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

I picked up the album the other day at Wal-Mart

It sucks. Seriously. Flat, typical covers album.

I haven't heard it yet, but the reason I didn't pick it up is because I read this review, which basically says what you're saying using a lot more words.

http://www.savingcountrymusic.com/revie … nk-cochran

I don't agree with that guy sometimes, but his points seemed to make enough sense to me even without hearing it that I didn't bother to pick it up.

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Yes. Jamey's new album is called "Living For A Song: A Tribute to Hank Cochran". Its a covers album featuring nothing but songs written by Hank Cochran, a legendary country writer, and popularized by other artists, many of which return to duet with Jamey on the songs they turned into hits, such as "The Eagle" which I mentioned.

Others are EXACTLY what jorge posted with that review. Exactly. And I hadn't even read that review, just listened to the album cold.

The songs are just boring. I understand that Jamey was very close to the late Hank Cochran and Jamey probably wanted to pay tribute to the original versions as much as he could. Think Guns N' Roses covers. But at the same time, he stayed SO close to the original versions, that all originality was lost. The songs are so dated and boring, that it sounds like listening to your grandfather's country CD, but the soul is lost. There's no power.

I also don't know if the takes were recorded in different sessions, in different places, but alot of songs have no flow. Jamey sings a part, then Merle, then Kris Kristofferson, then Willie, etc.

Some songs work, others just don't. I could name all the songs, but the first half just doesn't work. It's not like it's a bad selection of songs, it's not that they're not "classic country", its not that they don't conjure up memories... they just pale in comparison to their original versions and just fail to excite.

The album for me picks up around Track 8-The Eagle, and seems to be drastically better closing out. But there are NO songs from this album that you're gonna find yourself humming later on, or possibly wanting to hear again and again.

The reviewer makes a comment about Jamey suffering from "writer's block", and being country's best writer today "doing nothing in two years".

In fairness, Jamey did a DOUBLE ALBUM in 2010. Now maybe it's the GN'R fan coming out of me, but we're kinda used to LONNNGGGG waits after double albums of original material for new stuff.

I think that might be kinda unfair, but either way, like The Spaghetti Incident, this covers album doesn't really quench the thirst for new Jamey material.

Board footer