You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Re: Bumblefoot not happy? Speculating....

Mikkamakka wrote:

I don't think the album failed cause people thought the booklet wasn't good.

Naltav
 Rep: 70 

Naltav wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

I don't think the album failed cause people thought the booklet wasn't good.

I don't think ANYONE is thinking that.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I'd like to see a re-release in addition to some other progress.

That is, from a creative standpoint, if elements of chinese democracy were not to Axl's liking, I can understand why he'd want to address that over the long term. So that future generations get the songs as intended, and the artwork that matches and so on.

Also, sometimes a follow up version of a song is superior, for example to me turning "You're Crazy" back into a bluesy number on Lies, was great compared to the punk version of AFD. However it could have been said that they'd be better to do a new song.

So i have no problem with a re-release per say.

But I'd hate to see it be the only thing that happens with GNR in years. As Axl's already dedicated his life post 97 or whatever to making this album, finally got a version of it out in 08. I actually like it - but it's taken a disproportionate amount of his blood sweat and tears it seems....and I think to some extent the most healthy thing to do for the band would be to move on by working on the rest of the CD sessions...and then start composing entirely new ideas....rather than reworking CD for the god-knows-whatth-time.

But if they did a re-release in association with CD2 or a new single or something forward looking I'd be totally into it.

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:

Re-release with the right booklet and better/less production, new songs/CD2, and proper promotion. No inner groove distortions would be nice too.

Yeah, not gonna happen, but I can dream.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I'd like to see a re-release in addition to some progress.

FTFY

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
misterID wrote:

If you don't like the album, if you think it's all crap, that the mix sucks, if it's over produced, that STILL has absolutely nothing to do with it.

The guy had it planned for the artwork and lyrics to be a certain way. It wasn't. There is absolutely nothing wrong with making sure that future editions be the version he wanted or intended it to be. This is so insignificant, so small of an issue for ALL OF US, that it blows my mind people even care about it.

And this all goes back to jarmo's post that says if it is re-released, it would be around the same time as the next album.

No. Big. Deal.

It does have something to do with it.  He had plenty of time to make it the way he wanted it - that goes for the music, the artwork, the booklet.  All he had to do was turn down the BB deal to make it the way he wanted if he felt after a gazillion years it still wasn't ready.

That has nothing to do with it. I have no idea why you keep assuming that one thing had to do with another.

Perhaps it was an honest mistake that UNI used the wrong artwork, maybe they did it on purpose. I have no idea what you mean by BB having anything to do with it. If you remember, BB initially had on their website three different versions of CD you could purchase, then they disappeared. I don't see where BB had anything to do with it, when they didn't produce the album or manufacture it. There was obviously several versions of the CD booklet out there, they were released in other countries. So, Axl not having it ready doesn't really fly here.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

We're going in circles.  He had plenty of time to make it right.  It's amazing that Axl is detailed enough to take the name of the band and not detailed enough to make sure his comeback is done right.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Maybe it's a misuderstanding on my part, because right from start, Axl stated the booklet was wrong, and that tells me that what he wanted wasn't used. This has happened to artists before, The Black Crowes for example. I don't know how much control an Artist has because they aren't printing the booklets themselves, just going on good faith that the label is printing the booklet they wanted.

Like I said, it could have been an honest mistake on UNIs behalf. But the fact the right booklets were released overseas in limited compacities, tells me Axl's booklet/Artwork just wasn't used in North America (at least) and it wasn't because he gave them the wrong artwork.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

axl didn't print the booklet so it's not his mistake in that capacity
but we all know how axl is
he probably wasn't cooperating before the release any more than he was after

i don't remember who it was but they basically said that axl still wasn't ready to let the album out when it did finally happen

that's why they leaked the damn thing

music was done as well, not sure what we would've got had xl been ready and cooperated but im guessing it would have been a slightly different tracklist but no less overproduced.

unless it came out years prior

when you sit on songs that long you get bored with them and then you obsess and tinker - that's what happened

Sky Dog wrote:

the music was recorded/done according to Beta in late 2007. However, it
wasn't mastered until October of 2008.

"'The album was completed before Christmas,' [Beta] says, 'but everyone knows that. We're in negotiations now with the record company...'" 
chinese whispers 2007

I always assumed that to mean that all the completed songs for the entire Chinese sessions were fully mixed and recorded, then after they chose the final tracklist, they mastered the final 14.

Board footer