You are not logged in. Please register or login.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

Re: North American Tour Stats for new Gnr

buzzsaw wrote:

The spark wasn't gone, the cooperation was.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

i look at the crap metallica has been putting out since they began having a counselor and talking about their problems and tend to agree with misterid.

they could have, yes but what would have come of a band that was so respected for yielding at nothing and had earned the nickname 'the most dangerous band in the world, had they retooled their core values?

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Until Axl releases an album of original material with the actual band he's with and promo's it...

Guns N' Roses ended in 1993.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
war wrote:

i look at the crap metallica has been putting out since they began having a counselor and talking about their problems and tend to agree with misterid.

they could have, yes but what would have come of a band that was so respected for yielding at nothing and had earned the nickname 'the most dangerous band in the world, had they retooled their core values?

I don't think that the last 17 years of Guns N' Roses would have been brighter than Metallica's. In fact GN'R became the ultimate joke of all time. The less pun these days only shows that they have zero relevancy. Thanks Axl.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

The spark wasn't gone, the cooperation was.

That's part of the spark. There have been many teams who've hated each other but were still able to work together. A great song is a great song, no matter what transpired to make it happen. If the spark wasn't gone, they could have at least made one song in that 4 year span that didn't produce a single song. That spark was gone.

And Axlin keeps moving the goal post. 16

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

No.  They couldn't have made one great song and they didn't.  The effort wasn't even put in.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

They jammed a lot of songs, we may never hear. Would live to hear the jams when they had zakk sit in for a couple weeks.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

No.  They couldn't have made one great song and they didn't.  The effort wasn't even put in.

And there you go. Whatever spark they had before that made them creative, no matter how much they hated each other, was gone by that point. Nothing they did sparked the other guy to make a single song, let alone an album. And from the sounds of it, they did everything they could to try and ignite that spark. From bringing back Izzy to bringing in Zakk. It just wasn't there.

This doesn't sound like two guys who didn't want to make another album:

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

This spark stuff is nonsense to me.

The issue is entirely a personality issue.

Axl thinks Slash is manipulative and scheming against him (eg: thinking Slash approved "My World" as a power play to trick Axl into looking bad etc) - and Slash doesn't have a lot of time for Axl's way of life (keeping people waiting in the studio - not answering communication till he feels like it etc) because he feels disrespected because he's cut about the name/employee issue and feels disrespected (eg Paul huge over dubbing Slash's solo on SFTD).

It's got nothing at all to do with creativity.

Slash has busted out a stupid amount of great riffs and solos since 93 when you consider his entire catalogue including guest spots as isolated guitar parts, while Axl's writing is also similarly impressive (Madagascar, TIL, TWAT) when you look at his vocal melodies and lyrics in the CD era.

Look how good songs like Madagascar are then realise it's because Axl's fixed up a song that started from someone like Paul who isn't a genius songwriter. Look at how good something like Serial Killer is then realise it's that good despite the whole band including Rod Jackson being miles below Slash's talent level.

The creativity is still there - they just need to end the war. The problem is entirely personal.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

monkeychow wrote:

This spark stuff is nonsense to me.

The issue is entirely a personality issue.

Axl thinks Slash is manipulative and scheming against him (eg: thinking Slash approved "My World" as a power play to trick Axl into looking bad etc) - and Slash doesn't have a lot of time for Axl's way of life (keeping people waiting in the studio - not answering communication till he feels like it etc) because he feels disrespected because he's cut about the name/employee issue and feels disrespected (eg Paul huge over dubbing Slash's solo on SFTD).

It's got nothing at all to do with creativity.

Slash has busted out a stupid amount of great riffs and solos since 93 when you consider his entire catalogue including guest spots as isolated guitar parts, while Axl's writing is also similarly impressive (Madagascar, TIL, TWAT) when you look at his vocal melodies and lyrics in the CD era.

Look how good songs like Madagascar are then realise it's because Axl's fixed up a song that started from someone like Paul who isn't a genius songwriter. Look at how good something like Serial Killer is then realise it's that good despite the whole band including Rod Jackson being miles below Slash's talent level.

The creativity is still there - they just need to end the war. The problem is entirely personal.

I agree - one of the most frustrating things about the whole Axl/Slash spat is hearing potential in songs from each of them that could be better realised if they were working together.

Imagine Messages with Axl writing and singing the lyrics. Or Anastasia, or Beggars and Hangers-On. Or This I Love with a Slash solo on there.

Board footer