You are not logged in. Please register or login.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

Re: Axl's net worth....Article Sept 2012

polluxlm wrote:

If he did a standard mortgage deal it should be paid around now (assuming 20 years).

The way the system works it actually pays to mortgage instead of buying outright.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

That house is probably worth $7-10m at this point due to inflation. Depends on what he has added to the complex as well to determine its current value.

sandman
 Rep: 30 

sandman wrote:
ottosporteman wrote:
sandman wrote:

can anyone point me to a thread that addresses the financials of the band? or provide the info here? i am looking for the following:

1. who owns their back catalog?
1A. if someone asks about using a song in a movie/commercial/etc., who has final say?
2. was there an equal split of their profits back in the day? (i thought i read that Axl got 40% based on songs written or something.)
3. Was the original deal with Geffen much better than the typical deal? and if so, does Axl deserve credit for that?

1. who owns their back catalog?
Axl, Slash and Duff aka Guns N' Roses Music. Axl reportedly sold his part on the publishing earnings to Sanctuary but kept intelectual property (see 1A)
1A. if someone asks about using a song in a movie/commercial/etc., who has final say?
Guns N' Roses Music (see 1), and it needs to be approved by all three members.
2. was there an equal split of their profits back in the day? (i thought i read that Axl got 40% based on songs written or something.)
Actual figures changed album after album, but Axl had nearly 40%, I don't remeber the exact amount for each of them.
3. Was the original deal with Geffen much better than the typical deal? and if so, does Axl deserve credit for that?
According to Duff's book, the deal was pretty usual, but they had a lot of lawyers looking into the contract for them - an initiative by Axl, yes - that prevented them from losing the rights to the songs to the record company. Also, the deal was renegotiated after Appetite exploded, leading to LIES release. The deal was once again renegotiated for UYI, adding the infamous lines giving Axl the rights to the name. After Slash quit, deal was renegotiated and there has been several renegotiations since then.

thanks for taking the time to respond! 22

Board footer