You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: The Guns N’ Roses Residency: 5 Tips If You’re Considering Going

monkeychow wrote:

Here's the thing about the solos to me.

Back in the day there were basically 3 solo spots.

Slash: Worthy of a solo spot because he's a once in a generation player - and his godfather theme was a kind of an unusual solo for that era - really showing off Slash's emotive blues style despite the band being a "rock" act.

Matt: I love matt and his drumming, but I don't even know drummers who want to watch a 10 minute drum solo in the middle of a show. It was always a massive mood killer to me.

Duff: Attitude. Not what I came to see GNR do, but because it's only 1 song and a quick one at that it was harmless enough.

So basically, I saw the solos then as a necessary evil to give Axl a rest, but although the drum one was always a bit pointless...it wasn't overpowering.

The problem now is that I guess to be respectful and fair to his band Axl seems to give everyone a solo.

So that's 3 guitar solos, and a keys solo, and a tommy-led song, not to mention any other fill in stuff that goes down.

It's just too much....you end up with 6-7 songs of stuff that's not GNR, then when you add in cover tunes, as much as people talk about how it's a 3 hour show - seems half the reason for that is because you've had to sit through almost an entire show-length performance  of non-gnr music in the middle of the GNR show.

Because I'm a guitarist I'd be ok with some guitar solo stuff...especially cos someone like bumble is a freak player that's really world class...so i'd be ok with some kind of solo spots to give Axl a break, but I just think they need a better option than what happens at the moment where it goes kinda into a talent show half way through.

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:

Truth be told, there wasn't only one Slash solo per show in the nineties.

There was a lot of "jams" through the concert, the Civil War / Voodoo Child thing, Move to The City extended jam, many many many blues jams...

Of course this all begun when Izzy left.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

The thing with the solos is back in the day it was GUNS N' ROSES and people cared. If Duff , Slash, even Matt did a Solo cool cause it was GUNS N' ROSES. The difference is now too many people don't give a shit who's in the band and they don't care to see them solo. They are there to see and hear Axl sing GUNS N' ROSES songs. I guarantee you if it was Slash and Duff busting out these solos nobody would care cause it would be GUNS N' ROSES members doing the solos.

Don't shoot the messenger just calling it like it is. Might eba  tough pill for some to swallow but it's the truth.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

Not surprisingly I loved Slash's solos back in the day, although even I assume that when he had a bad night, those felt too long. Matt's drum solo killed the show every night, he's no John Bonham, and I couldn't bear the master's solos either. Duff's Attitude was good enough for 1 and a half minute.

With that said solos hit a new low with the new band. BH's nunchakus were more than boring, although his guitar playing was quite interesting. Robin Finck...well, that did hurt my ears badly. By 2006 we had 5-7 solos every night and they were boring as hell. When I saw them, it wasn't a good show, but every solo spot made it much worse, except Richard's and Robin's Beautiful, which was amazing.

Since then it's even worse. I know that Axl needs some time off the stage with his oxygen, but please, find a better way to kill the time.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

Yeah nothing will ever be as painfully boring as Sorums 10 minute solo back in the day, that used to make baby Jesus cry.

That said all the solos with the current band are fucken tedious, get rid of them. Give the crowd quality not quantity.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

I gotta admit I really like DJ's Ballad of Death and for me it's the best piece of music that has come from Guns N' Roses or one of it's members since the Illusion albums. I mean for me this is just awesome. It's stuff like this that make me want to be able to play guitar.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jez2y3JmpBY

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

^ Or Guitars Suck just for the shredding madness, his recent cover of Bernadette had a cool outro too.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I got bored during Slash's solo when I was at the show in 1992.  I get the need for them, but even then I had no use for them.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Board footer