You are not logged in. Please register or login.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

Re: Sorry state of music... Kid Rock #1

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Robman
 Rep: 5 

Robman wrote:

I hate paying $17.99 for a Queen CD that was released in 1977, has 10 tracks, and has nothing inside but a two page booklet.

Sure, the music is amazing, and is a joy to listen to over and over again, but if I paid 10 bucks for it I wouldnt feel ripped off.

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I've said it for years, but I'll keep saying it until the industry finally hears it:

Cd prices have to be lowered across the board to 5 bucks. Double albums $7.50 to 9 bucks. Its the ONLY way the record industry will be able to survive this downloading catastrophe. Artists are already abandoning labels and changing course, such as Madonna and Radiohead. More will follow. They have to make these price changes within a year or so or it will be too late.

Also, cds will have to have a few little extras. The days of nothing in the booklet are over. MIA actually gave her fans a reason to buy her album, although they didn't buy it in droves. All the artwork in the booklet was designed by her, and the cd came with a paper insert for free ringtones from the album. Called a free number and you got a ringtone.

I know a price drop like that will have an immediate impact on the industry. They will take a huge financial hit when it first happens. However, they can adapt to the new environment. They wont make as much money, but they will still make money.

People walking into stores seeing thousands of albums for 5 bucks each are much more likely to purchase product. Would the industry rather actually make money, or would they rather megaupload, yousendit, etc,. still be very active and p2p sites playing a role in cd burners working in overdrive?

They have no other choice. I never understood their reluctance to stop ripping consumers off. You could spot this disaster approaching a mile away. They should have done a huge price drop in the 90's when Napster got big.

Robman
 Rep: 5 

Robman wrote:

Instead they think its a sinking ship so they need to charge even more for a CD, to try and make as much money as the used to. I agree, they fail to realize that the increase in prices is whats driving consumers away.

Its a vicious cycle.

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Board footer