You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: GnR to be focus of an enstallment of Guitar Hero? Doesnt Look Like It

Neemo wrote:

on another board there is some bigtime speculation that following Aerosmith, that GnR will be the next Guitar Hero game....not accordign to this article, there are several name drops and GNR isnt one of them...it appears that VanHalen is the front runner though.

Eddie Van Halen = next Guitar Hero?
Source: A presentation made by Activision CEO Bobby Kotick at the Morgan Stanley Technology Conference in Dana Point, California.

What we heard: Ever since Activision confirmed long-running rumors by announcing Guitar Hero: Aerosmith, gamers have wondered what the next band-themed title in the franchise might be. Given Aerosmith's stature in the rock pantheon, it was suddenly possible that any supergroup could lend its name to the game. Metallica, The Rolling Stones, U2, Smashing Pumpkins, and the Red Hot Chili Peppers were among the bands most often mentioned by virtual axemen during basement speculation sessions.

Another of the most repeated names in the guess-the-next-Guitar-Hero-band metagame is Van Halen. After dropping out of the public eye during the beginning of the decade, the once-mighty quartet--which dominated the US record charts during the 1980s and 1990s--reunited with its second singer, Sammy Hagar, in 2003. After a 2004 tour fizzled out, the remaining members of the original group asked original frontman David Lee Roth to put aside decades of acrimony and re-up. The resulting successful tour is still ongoing, although recent postponements blamed on guitarist Eddie Van Halen's health woes have called its future into doubt.

But while Van Halen's real-life members are feeling the ravages of time, the band might see a second life in game form. At least that's the theory being bandied about on many a forum following comments made by Kotick at the Morgan Stanley Technology Conference yesterday. At the elite confab, analysts and financial mucky-mucks posited questions to the soon-to-be chief executive of Activision Blizzard about the future of the Guitar Hero series.

"So when you think about how we're going to grow, just getting to parity on the US business will add a significant amount of revenues this year," said Kotick. "Then you think about what we're doing in specialized programming, whether it is new platforms or Aerosmith, or other bands that are proprietary to our format." (Emphasis added.)

Later, Kotick discussed the sales bump each band featured in Guitar Hero receives. Kotick said "Every one of the artists included in Guitar Hero III saw their number one downloaded song on iTunes, within the month after the release of Guitar Hero III, being the Guitar Hero III song." He then continued, "So our attitude is, if we're breaking bands or creating this much enthusiasm, and you are reaching a whole new group of consumers, six to 11-year-old consumers, who are being exposed to Aerosmith for the first time or Van Halen for the first time, wherever it might be, we need to capture much more of that upside opportunity." (Emphasis added.)

The official story: While Kotick's mention of Van Halen riled up gamers old enough to remember "Hot for Teacher" being played on boomboxes at junior high cornfield keggers, it wasn't an official announcement of Guitar Hero: Van Halen. So was the comment a slip of the tongue or wishful thinking on the executive's part? Activision isn't saying, declining to respond to inquiries about Kotick's comments.

Bogus or not bogus?: Too little to go on. However, it is worth noting that, with Van Halen's volatile history, it might not be as easy to sort the royalty situation as it was for Aerosmith. Then there's the dilemma of choosing songs between the original lineup and the "Van Hagar" era--and won't someone think of Gary Cherone?

http://www.gamespot.com/news/show_blog_ … op;title;3

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:
russtcb wrote:

I can't imagine why so many people are falling into discussing that rumor. It seems to me that there's a million reasons why a GNR Guitar Hero game would be extremely hard to do at this point.

Its probably a fabricated rumour to distract everyone from the ongoing delays of Chinese Democracy.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

I can't imagine GnR is high up on Activisions desired list. Metallica & U2 would far outsell GnR. Probably Pearl Jam as well, although I don't know if they'd be interested in doing it (have any of their songs been on GH?). RHCP would be cool, especially if some songs you played the bass lines instead.

Besides, with GnR they could run into alot of contractual & rights issues. If so, 86 that ideea.

PaSnow wrote:

Besides, with GnR they could run into alot of contractual & rights issues. If so, 86 that ideea.

Probably.

Sweet Child O' Mine and Welcome to the Jungle are definitely two of the most popular songs in the Guitar Hero-trilogy, though.

But I don't really see it happening.

And to be honest, I wouldn't really want it to happen, even if the Aerosmith thing is pretty cool.

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Rex wrote:

How about releasing Chinese Democracy on this game first, and then later on a CD?

I know it sounds crazy, but you can download a CD.  People will pay money to play these songs on their guitar hero or Rock Band games.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I know people hate hearing it, and I hate saying it, but there will NEVER be anything of that magnitude happen with GNR unless there is a reunion. A song or two on a game/soundtrack? No problem. An entire game dedicated to GNR? Not until the classic lineup is back. New GNR will never get anything like that even if they release a trilogy.

People need to grasp that fact. It doesn't mean new GNR sucks. They just don't have the place in history that the classic lineup has and will always have.

supaplex
 Rep: 57 

supaplex wrote:
Synyster Gates wrote:

How about releasing Chinese Democracy on this game first, and then later on a CD?
I know it sounds crazy, but you can download a CD.  People will pay money to play these songs on their guitar hero or Rock Band games.

that would be dumb.
i don't own a playstation and you want to tell me that if i want to listen to cd i'd have to buy one and a game on top of that so i could listen to it? i wanna hear it but not that badly.

and i've been around for years on the forums. if someone like me doesn't care why would the average joe care? they'd just say fuck it.
for the world it's just another rock album, it's not gonna get a special game just for it. huge bands that are constantly releasing albums and touring are not getting one, why would a band living on past glories that still have to prove themselves to the world would?

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Board footer