You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Re: Chris Cornell: "Guns N 'Roses were all normal types minus one"

Gibbo wrote:
Intercourse wrote:

Seems like pretty much historical fact. Where did Chris slag Axl?

Exactly. Same as all the supposed rants Slash had on Axl - they don't exist, at least not at the level claimed by some. Izzy was far more damning.

People get too uptight on Axl's behalf and assign him all sorts of leeway because he is seen as "sensitive" or "prone to depression".

Like Axl's  recent whinge that Duff & Slash killed his creativity for years. No they didn't. You killed your own creativity because of your huge paranoia and elongated bouts of self pity & indulgence.

Axl never ever seems to have thought through how the other guys must have felt, feeling like they had no choice but to quit the band that defined their lives. They lost just as much as him, if not more. Did they sit at home and feel sorry for themselves? No. They rebuilt. It took both men years to do so but they did it.

Back to Chris, he described the situation as "sad". He's spot on, it was and it still is. Not one man from the old band "won" anything. They have great lives, but their legacy is one of missed opportunities and squandered talent.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Intercourse wrote:

Back to Chris, he described the situation as "sad". He's spot on, it was and it still is. Not one man from the old band "won" anything. They have great lives, but their legacy is one of missed opportunities and squandered talent.

That is a completely valid viewpoint.  However, I am of the belief that the band was bound to break apart, and possibly even needed to for all parties involved to survive.  Slash and Duff were far from the epitome of good health back then.  Izzy got out so he could save himself.  Steven got kicked out because he became such a mess.  Who knows what would have happened if they stayed together.  They were so combustible.  We're lucky we got as much as we did and they're all healthy enough today to still be creating music in their own ways.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Yeah i'm the first to get sad about hypothetical things....

Eg Imagine 2006 Axl having patched up a friendship with 2012 Slash.....that would be superior to any 91-93 footage IMO.

But as annoying as the "lost chances" are - we have to remember even if they never did anything again - they've still achieved more than most musicians dream of. AFD is one of the all time great albums, and UYI is pretty sacred as well - or at least the hits are - NR etc.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:
faldor wrote:

That is a completely valid viewpoint.  However, I am of the belief that the band was bound to break apart, and possibly even needed to for all parties involved to survive.  Slash and Duff were far from the epitome of good health back then.

See Faldor, your sentence could so easily have ended up been written about:

The Stones
Several members were heroin addicts, there were epic fallouts, fights, arrests, deaths and accidents

Zeppelin
Heroin, car crashes, singers child killed, band tension, cocaine, insane backstage behaviour, black fucking magic 18

Sabbath
see all of the above, add in about ten more destructive forces

Metallica
Dead bass player, cocaine, alcoholism, power moves, bass player meltdown, lead singer meltdown, global backlash etc..

Aerosmith
Need I say more...

Motley
Ahem...

You have to challenge our idols to explain why they pissed away their chance to prove they were more than short, lucky run.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

Good post Intercourse, inner-band drama in big rock bands, is not a one-off thing that only happened with GN'R. Lots of bands have been through it, and still managed to get their shit together.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Interesting Russ...always thought it was directed at a former lover...like that it still means the world to him but she doesn't know or understand that...and that the sorrow from the loss devastated him for years and so the negative "price" of the love ended up being far greater than the positive stuff that happened before the breakup....

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Interesting Russ...always thought it was directed at a former lover..

I think Axl holds "love" and "friendship" at the same level. He expects friends to be as loyal and supportive as lovers and if they fail, they're gone and gone completely.

No doubt elements of The Blues, Sorry and Cather in the Rye could be influenced by his personally  all consuming feud with Slash.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:
RussTCB wrote:

I know everyone thought/thinks I'm nuts for even suggesting that The Blues is about Slash, but I maintain my position on it especially when the subject of "why haven't they got back together" comes up.

"What this means to me is more than I know you believe" I think is directed at the press, fans and anyone who says "Why the fuck doesn't Axl just call Slash??" and I think "What I thought of you now, has cost more than it should for me" is directed right at Slash along with the lines that follow it.

Now you have me wondering if I'm going to listen to The Blues again and have this hit me in the head like it did the day I figured out that Izzy probably didn't write 14 Years about a chick.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Without saying anything negative about Axl Rose

Riiight.

Whatever Chris. That abnormality is what made his band the biggest in the world, while yours, although good to great, never rose above being a second tier outfit.

Oh, and maybe someone should tell him it was Axl that helped jump start his career by putting them on that huge tour in the first place.

Second tier? PLEASE. Soundgarden's discography destroys GNR's although its not really a fair comparison as SG were more prolific for a longer period of time.

Take AFD out of the equation and GNR would have difficulty competing with SG's first two albums which consist of filler and a handful of monster tracks.

Oh and Badmotorfinger would have exploded even if they toured with the Bay City Rollers.

RussTCB wrote:
johndivney wrote:

Agree w/all Polluxlm's posts itt

Cornell coulda just said hey axl give us a break but instead took the opportunity to trash him.. Doesn't hurt to be polite y'know?

This headline:
"XX Person Says Something Bad About Axl Rose"

gets your more press than this headline:

"XX Person Says Something Nice About Axl Rose"

Cornell does not go out of his way to slam anyone, especially Axl. I don't see anything wrong with the comment. Axl has raved on Cornell's talents for years and so has Cornell.    Saikin, Furbush, or another hardcore SG fan......

Can you find that clip where Thayil takes a minor swipe at Chinese Democracy? It wasn't a major dig as I dont even think it made it to the GNR forums. It was funny though. It was something about the interviewer asking about the looong absence of SG and what they were going to do(this was after they said they were gonna record music) and Thayil said something along the lines of "Did you hear Chinese Democracy? Jesus!", then he laughed.

The thing that's surprising about it to me too is that doesn't Cornell himself have some issues?

Listening to Superunknown is all the proof anyone needs that he has/had issues. Probably worse than Axl's IMO. However, he never let his problems interfere with recording. In fact, it likely fueled that productive period.

Still...on the good side...if Chris has this "anti-axl" agenda it clears the way for him to become the new VR frontman....

Listen to King Animal? He aint going anywhere and if he does, it'll be solo and not VR. I made my case years ago on why he will NEVER join that band and Cornell doing one song with Slash does not change that.

I think Axl always tells the truth

Funny.

Board footer