You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Nurse commits suicide after royal prank call

monkeychow wrote:
RussTCB wrote:

but ive never understood it in the US.

Interesting.

My guess would be it's kind of like occasionally wondering what happened to that girl you dumped big_smile

Also, I'd guess to Americans maybe royals have a kids-story book kind of fantasy interest - a bit like pirates - they don't really exist for you anymore in the old way but you all grew up playing make believe about them? There's princes and princesses and they live in castles and stuff.

Slightly OT but in 1995 I was taking a tourist bus ride around london.

There's an english host of the tour - playing up a snobby upperclass british accident even though I'd guess he wasn't as a host!

When I tell him I'm Australian he jokes "Oh...they've let those convicts back in?". Guy behind me is from texas.
Eventually the bus drives past a statue of King George (i think)....host says to texan guy "I believe this was your king". Texan guy says in his best drawl accent: "Yup. .....(pause)....Shot Him". Whole bus cracked up 16

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
-D- wrote:

Meh, Darwinism

I don't see it quite that way. It runs far deeper than that. I would probably lean more to "balance". Like the planets aligning themselves.

Some people just... don't fucking like the world. You suck. People assume living is a great thing, some people just don't see it as all that big of a deal, and that's something 99.9999998% of people will never get.

I feel very sorry for her, but I do not under any circumstances blame the DJ's for what they did. It actually in a weird way... might be the most successful prank call of all time. So no fault on them.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

technically I guess the Queen could impose some kind of authority in Canada but it would never happen. She's represented by the Governor general and I do believe all laws and motions and what not need to be signed off by the Governor General to make them official. It's more a figurehead position though maintained more so for tradition. There's no way on earth that Canada would move to pass a law and the Queen/Governor General would interfere.  Anything to do with the royal family in Canada at this point is merely traditional.

As for coverage on the royal family the only time they dominate the news is when they actually come to visit Canada. They do not warrant  "breaking news" the way they do in gossip, tabloid crazy America.  I'm sorry Russ but I think the reality is American media fucking blows.  No offence. I mean even during 9/11 I didn't watch the American media at all. CBC in Canada was more up to date, less sensationalist and basically more human. They didn't come off as though it was all about ratings the way the American networks did and I felt I could trust CBC way more than any of the American stations covering an event in America. Kinda sad when you think about it.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

I read now that the nurse was on anti-depressants and had previously attempted suicide twice.

Board footer