You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Slash refuses to ever work with Scott Weiland again

Axlin16 wrote:

Axl's lack of recording new material I think is an unhidden admittance of not having faith in himself without Slash.

They both know they were their best with each other. They both know it.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

With Slash's new arsenal of chops and the possibility of new song ideas a reunion could bring, the timing finally may be perfect. And Slash isn't an addict anymore, so he will be focused as ever.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

It would be awesome.

But the question is why would Axl want to do it?

Even if uni won't release more with his new line up, he could tour AFD or play private parties for decades yet just to survive.

And I'd believe he'd do that to death rather than eat humble pie before Slash unless he and Slash were able to repair the friendship..which takes a lot of conversations...and frankly even then...who knows....could either of them really let go of what's happened....

It seems like he carries a lot of hurt/anger/feelings towards Slash....that's the real hold up to a reunion....

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

That anger could make for a great "dangerous" live show.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

^ yeah...it's probably not just the pay day either...artistically GNR was some of Slash's most famous, iconic and world changing performances....while I enjoy VR....it's not quite on the same level in terms of impact to culture and music history and creative genius as GNR either....

I mean....you give Axl your riff and you get a paradise city or sweet child of mine, you give a riff to scott and you get Big Machine or Falling to Pieces....

If there's humble pie and bullshit involved with either of them....even aside from the payday angle....I know where I'd be going....

Exactly. Some fans have this habit connecting everything Slash does or would do to financial issues. C'mon, we are talking about a guy, who has just established himself as one of the strongest and most successful touring acts in the rock business, almost from scratch. (If anyone says that he was in a good position after the Libertad fail, then I will give negative karma for utter stupidity.) Since he has a proper band around him and he's happy with them, he has radically lowered his guest appearances. I guess some hasn't realized this.

So back to Slash's motivations for a reunion.

First, Slash had some of his best and _happiest_ years of his career in GN'R. I think he would like to revisit that experience (except the junk, be it drugs or drama).

Second, he's a musician and knows that his best work was GN'R. Any musician with ambition would like to recreate (try to recreate) that wonder.

Third, he's a human being. The on-going feud surely hurts him on an emotional level. Not on a daily basis, I'm sure, but he'd much happier with closing those times, those lost friendships in a cilized way. And their common language was music.

Fourth, financial issues.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

It would be awesome.

But the question is why would Axl want to do it?

Even if uni won't release more with his new line up, he could tour AFD or play private parties for decades yet just to survive.

And I'd believe he'd do that to death rather than eat humble pie before Slash unless he and Slash were able to repair the friendship..which takes a lot of conversations...and frankly even then...who knows....could either of them really let go of what's happened....

It seems like he carries a lot of hurt/anger/feelings towards Slash....that's the real hold up to a reunion....

And I can understand that logic. There's been people in my own personal life I spent hours, days, weeks, years around every day or every week and knew intimately and worked with and was friends with etc. that you put up with tons of and tons of shit that was seemingly okay 5 years ago, or 10 years ago, or 15 years ago, but now? It would take an act of God to get you in the same room because of all of the doings that went on that caused you to break apart in the first place. Alot of head issues because of the emotions tied in to it, the egos tied in to it, and the general "me first" attitude of every breathing thing on this planet.

The difference?

If I had $150 million for a world tour lying on the table for the taking, i'd be fucking GONE with cash stuffed in my ass. Even if I was already making $12 mil a year with a bunch of touring musicians playing Indian weddings.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Hahha...

The interesting thing to me is that he does reject it.

I mean like theoretically how hard would a reunion tour be? Everyone from the press to the fan base would be on side, and realistically how much exposure would they actually need to have to each other? Axl could have separate hotel, plane, handlers - he wouldn't even have to know slash exists except for 2 hours on stage. They'd also have the pull to schedule things as metallica do with breaks between shows - trips home between legs - so it's not like a never-ending monster like UYI was.

If you thought of it as a "job" - like many of us have - where you don't want to do it but you just go to work for the sake of paying the bills - it's pretty easily done - pretend you like the guys 2 hours a day - then hide from them the rest - all the while pocketing a pay day that will set you up for life AND fund whatever other musical projects with the new band you have in mind. The cynical thing for him to do would be do just that - agree to a 1 off reunion tour - make sure the contracts keep his ownership of the name - do the tour at minimum possible interaction - then pocket your winnings and make like CD4 or a Snoop Lion style bizzare project to your own taste.

I think 99% of people would do something like that. May not want to. But at some point the only common sense thing for people to do is sell out.

I remember reading of an indy artist who sold his song to coke for millions. He refused lots of times and each time they upped the pay day by some obscene sum - like millions. Eventually he sold. He made a statement to the effect of even though he knows it's selling out and the fans will hate him - there came a time where the money was so much that it was no longer about him. Like he can keep his pride and not sell out...but his son lives a poverty life because his dad is broke, his mom can't go into care when she gets old and sick and so on. Eventually he decided the greater good for everyone in his circle was selling out and taking the cash..he lost some face...but his family was set for life.

It's a little different for Axl...but at some point it gets surprising to me that he doesn't just prostitute himself like his song says....i'm not saying he should...just that I think normal people eventually would....

That Axl doesn't either means he has incredible character to resist the lures of such things and stick to the principle, or that he's tragically hurt so that he's so sad and angry that he just can't let it go enough. And the price of having to deal with Slash even for a few moments a day in a phoney enviroment like on stage is too much that even the riches of Live Nation wouldn't cover.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Wonder if  Axl having no kids helps his decision to not do a reunion?

i mean his name basically dies with him and he really has nobody to leave anything to but Beta etc.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

It's a little different for Axl...but at some point it gets surprising to me that he doesn't just prostitute himself like his song says....i'm not saying he should...just that I think normal people eventually would....

He has already prostituted himself with his tribute show. He's doing the same routine every night for years, in the same order with no soul and motivation. He's not picky at all, does it for anyone who pays enough, but has one guy he hates and doesn't wanna do anything with him.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

^ Fair call.

What I mean is though...it's interesting that he hates him enough to not do it.

I mean it's hundreds of millions of dollars.

On stage he could walk over, lean against slash, put his arm around him, look cool for the camera.

Off stage he could have separate back stage, separate hotel, separate car, separate jet, staff of 100 people to form a human wall between him and slash. The whole thing could occur with no human contact between them at all other than their lawyers.

Hundreds of millions of dollars.

That's a lot of anger or hurt right there.

Board footer