You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Re: GNR according to The Manual

Seems like the most logical approach now. Still want to hear this current band release music under the GNR name; but if it means having them play on record with just axl name on it and having the vault with all the electronic synth and experimental recordings than I would be just fine with that. I just want him to put out something of quality. Oh yeah I agree on the underrated piano player comment.

I just don't think a reunion with Slash and the boys is going to happen and if it does it's going to be like a Beach Boys reunion that Russ went to and discussed. Where he knew that their hearts weren't into it and the performances weren't lively. I think Slash is doing just fine with his projects. Same with Izzy, Duff, and hell even Steven as of late. It's Axl that needs to release some new music with bumblefoot dj and the others. If a reunion did happen and everyone was happy to be in each other's company then my previous comments would disappear.

johndivney wrote:

Their hearts aren't in it? U may as well be talking about the current line-up, including Axl.

A reunion couldn't be any more lifeless/souless/phony shit than what's currently on-stage.

It's fucked. GnR is DEAD.

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:
-D- wrote:

Axl is a crashgrab act until he proves other wise.

Unfortunately, this.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
johndivney wrote:

monkey you give him far too much credit.

it's long past time you shoulda stopped apologising for him.

he's not giving anyone what they want - people want killer rock songs, all he's doing is parading old hits to a dwindling level of interest.

he's nothing but a fuckin pussy.

I'm not apologising for him.

I'm just putting out there what I think the case may be - that Axl still has an interest in composing music but that the music he makes now is far removed in style from the classic sound of "Guns N' Roses".

Maybe i'm wrong - just from a whole lot of interviews and sources put together I get the impression Axl has works but that they're more like classical pieces and melodies set to random samples and effects and stuff.

Have a listen to the second we have of "Blood in the Water". Sounds cool to me - but I'd guess songs he does are more in that direction than Nightrain2 or Return-to-Paradise-City.

Which would put him in a bind. I like his composing style so I'd be WAY interested to hear stuff like "Blood in the Water" - but realistically in terms of him earning an income in the piracy age - the ticket buying general public is going to purchase more tickets to hear November Rain, Jungle and Nighttrain live - even with a new band - than they are to see whatever avante guard and experimental stuff Axl could do if he and Chris decided to do a 2 hour show of all new random instrumentals or whatever. There's just not a live market for that kind of artwork from someone who isn't famous already for it. It'd be like when Zakk Wylde plays piano...it's like dude go get your fucking guitar....the audience would be like "ok...now maybe it's time for jungle"

What would be interesting to me would be a compromise. Where Axl plays an Ac/Dc style hits setlist live but continually puts out new albums of whatever sounds his into at the moment. But there's a host of business reasons that that isn't a good idea if they're wildly different products"

Admittedly I've not met him so it's just speculation. But from what he's said and what we've heard. I think the vault is going to be more like that Blood in the Water sample.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I'm just putting out there what I think the case may be - that Axl still has an interest in composing music

What leads you to that conclusion? The fact that several band members admit that NOTHING has been done since Ron's additions to CD five years ago, or the fact that new material hasn't been mentioned by Axl since his "same bat time, same bat channel" crap three years ago?

I have seen nothing that would insinuate Axl has any interest in doing anything other than touring the hits, which is what he's been doing during the entire CD saga.

This train wreck ran out of excuses eons ago. If Axl/GNR wanted to release new music, they would. Simple as that. Whether it's soft rock, avant garde, or a cover album consisting of Bay City Rollers songs. Expectations are very low after Chinese Democracy.  That Blood in the Water clip that's basically a throwaway tune from a Boy George solo album would chart higher than either of CD's 2 singles....so what's the latest excuse? Let me guess....it's "too advanced" for GNR fans and our ears wont be able to comprehend music so far ahead of its time?

The CD sessions are more dated than MC Hammer. Just like with CD, IF CD II is ever released it will be dated upon arrival and to add insult to injury it'll have a pure shit mix/production. Having said that, I'd like to hear it for shits and giggles and also to hear if Axl fully utilized the potential of that 2000-01 line up. We all know he didn't but I'd like to see if at least one song in his vault is better than Riad or the title track.

the ticket buying general public is going to purchase more tickets to hear November Rain, Jungle and Nighttrain live - even with a new band - than they are to see whatever avante guard and experimental stuff Axl.....

This is an excuse and 100% false. Cornell has destroyed this "theory" TWICE.....with Audioslave and the SG reunion. If you don't shove nostalgia down the throats of your audience, they don't expect nostalgia.

there's a host of business reasons

My all time favorite excuse. It's the only band I've ever liked where "business reasons" prevent them from releasing more than one album every 10+ years.

I think the vault is going to be more like that Blood in the Water sample.

I'm  a fan of Boy George's post CC solo material so bring it on.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
Kim Thayil's Beard wrote:

What leads you to that conclusion? The fact that several band members admit that NOTHING has been done since Ron's additions to CD five years ago, or the fact that new material hasn't been mentioned by Axl since his "same bat time, same bat channel" crap three years ago?

That leads me to the conclusion that he's not in a hurry to release a GNR record. However many sources say they have heard quite a lot of unpublished material in various stages of development, Chris spoke of working with Axl on hundreds of song ideas before CD came out, Bumble says he has played on tracks that are not released, Baz has said there's what amounts to follow up albums, and DJ tells stories of Axl sitting down in a hotel room and smashing out songs on the piano and when DJ said it was amazing Axl replied that "it's just something I'm tinkering with in my head".

This leads me again to the conclusion that Axl DOES have unpublished songs, and that he DOES still at least occasionally write new music.

So the question then is why doesn't it ever come out. I can think of three scenarios:

1. There is some kind of business standoff that prevents it (Axlin's uni won't release anything but a reunion album theory).
2. Axl finds releasing music that's of the calibre of his past works an unbearable stress and pressure and so while he's happy to write/record songs at home, getting them to rubber-stamed finished level isn't fun anymore.
3. The new music is entirely self indulgent / nothing like old GNR and he knows it's not going to do anything but shit off the classic-rock fan base that pays his bills / lead to a whole fresh round of "you are not GNR, your ruining the band's legacy" - so this makes him think "fuck it"

Let me guess....it's "too advanced" for GNR fans and our ears wont be able to comprehend music so far ahead of its time?

I wouldn't phrase it like that...but I can tell you my "man's man" aussie mates will like Jungle cos it's Rock and then will listen to a song like "Shacklers Revenge" and be like "what is this techo fag bullshit". It's not that it's advanced...I think it's just that it's not even anything like GNR.

I mean seriously, lets pretend Axl had an instrumental all orchestral album - that he woke up one morning and became mozart - can he release that as GNR's 7th studio record? Does it make any sense?

I'm not saying it's that pronounced...but based on how far he was willing to push even classic gnr hits (robin butchering solos/ adding synth/re-recoding SCOM solos) - and considering how over produced CD was which he described as the closest of his works to the old sound - if he says the other stuff is a stretch to the GNR fan base  I'd be willing to entertain that idea.

This is an excuse and 100% false. Cornell has destroyed this "theory" TWICE.....with Audioslave and the SG reunion. If you don't shove nostalgia down the throats of your audience, they don't expect nostalgia.

Yeah but Audioslave was more like Velvet Revolver - new band that's made of of two famous bands - that is a new entity and just plays the occasional classic hit of the source bands as a tribute. That's not exactly the same situation as Axl calling it GNR and then putting on a Daft Punk style computer show live.

As for soundgarden...they do seem to be making it about the new album...but they have the advantage of the real line up....I'm sure if Axl reunited with Slash people would be more open to a new album from them than they would be Axl making a computer masturbation album on his own and calling it GNR then playing nothing but that live. Aditionally...lets not forget cornell just got done doing a 2 year classic hits acoustic tour right before he did the reunion.

It's the only band I've ever liked where "business reasons" prevent them from releasing more than one album every 10+ years.

But it can happen. There's bands whose career has been ended because they sign a 3 album deal with a label giving the label ownership of their recordings until 3 albums are released, then the first album tanks and the label refuses to spend a cent to record or  release an album 2 and 3 - but the band can't go anywhere else cos they're locked into that label deal.

We don't actually know the terms of GNR's renegotiations over the years.....it's possible that uni isn't supportive.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

the ticket buying general public is going to purchase more tickets to hear November Rain, Jungle and Nighttrain live - even with a new band - than they are to see whatever avante guard and experimental stuff Axl.....

Ummmm... U2 prove ths theory wrong every time they release an album. Half their 360 tour set list consistently consisted of songs released since the turn of the century.  Also on the second leg of that tour U2 was rotating new unreleased songs in and out of the setlist. I mean my god I heard 6 unreleased songs on U2's last tour,  some nights they played 2 or 3 unreleased songs. James is right. If you don't shove nostalgia down people's throats they won't expect it.

Pearl Jam is another big band with tons of hits that prove this theory wrong on a  nightly basis.

The last person you would have ever thought who'd be satisfied with being a  geriatric nostalgia act who's setlist is more predictable than the sun rising in the east and setting in the west was Axl Rose.

I can't believe that people actually hold out hope that this guy is going to do anything remotely interesting ever again.

I mean holy shit Justin Timberlake hasn't put an album out in almost 8 years an he's making a  comeback with new material this year and people are excited about it. It's hilarious that a guy who all but stopped doing music can take 8 years off and still be more productive an relevant  than Axl. Axl Rose is the biggest joke in music because he insists on touring the old hits with  cover band. Arguing it ll you want people but this band is nothing more than that.

Not only is Axl Rose one of the biggest wastes of musical talent ever he's also wasted one of the most talented group of musicians to ever play together. THREE times(87-93, 2000-2002, 2008-2013)

I don't get what people are holding onto with Axl anymore. he's the epitmony of washed up. sad but true.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Yes but U2 and Pearl Jam are the real bands.

They're the original guys playing new songs.

Are you guys seriously telling me you think Axl could tour with his new GNR line up and play an all experimental instrumental set or some other daft punk type shit and it would sell just as well as the vegas setlist?

Reality is it's not the real GNR to most people. But most people go to see Axl cos he was in the real GNR, and surely those people want him to play GNR songs not read like spoken word or some shit.

I mean I'd love the modern line up to release 3 or 4 albums and tour those...but I think the public wants things as close to old GNR as possible...and in the lack of a reunion then the next best thing is surely at least an AFD setlist....

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

I dunno I hate to be the jarmo of the board I'm just saying there must be SOME reason why things are as they are.

I mean what is it you guys actually think? Axl's just really lazy? Really stupid?

All I'm saying is I believe there's something we don't know about that dictates how things go, maybe Axl is more fragile than we know, or maybe the GNR label deal is more fucked than we realise, or maybe it's something else....but there's got to be some kind of reason somewhere why things go down as they do.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Yes but U2 and Pearl Jam are the real bands.

They're the original guys playing new songs.

Are you guys seriously telling me you think Axl could tour with his new GNR line up and play an all experimental instrumental set or some other daft punk type shit and it would sell just as well as the vegas setlist?

Reality is it's not the real GNR to most people. But most people go to see Axl cos he was in the real GNR, and surely those people want him to play GNR songs not read like spoken word or some shit.

I mean I'd love the modern line up to release 3 or 4 albums and tour those...but I think the public wants things as close to old GNR as possible...and in the lack of a reunion then the next best thing is surely at least an AFD setlist....

Why do you make it out to be like Axl has some fucked up shit that is so off the wall he could never toss in a new song or two?  Axl could've done whatever the hell he wanted to especially back in 2001 when his band looked like a bunch of alien misfits but he chose instead to turn himself into a nostalgia act. Axl can still do anything he wants. leave the fucking ego at the door play smaller venues like they have been and debut this material that is so out there. he's not with the REAL Guns N' Roses so all the more reason to spread his wings but nope he clings to the past.  Stop acting like all Axl has cooked up is just too out there for his Guns N' Roses. Gn'R can be anything Axl wants it to be. It's his fucking band. he wanted it this way so he should play whatever he wants and move it forward regardless of the direction. Axl Rose pandering to fans because if he doesn't he won't make as much money? Hmmmm....  Maybe you're right and if you are Axl is the biggest pussy sell out in the history of music. Fucking chicken shit who lives off the material written by guys who he doesn't want to be involved with and would rather them just as well be forgotten. A chicken shit loser who says he wants to move forward and leave the past in the past only to go out there each and every night and do nothing but live in the past and remind everyone who's not in his band. If all he's got is spoken word than release the stuff. Perform it live. Who cares. We've all acknowledged it's not the real Guns N' roses anyways.  Play some old hits, play some CD suff, toss in this crazy ass werd shit thats too far removed from Guns and be a creative artist. Or play the old songs and make $$$$$$$$$ and that's it

It's pretty obvious what he CHOSE to do and it has nothing to do with the alledged material being too out there for Guns N' Roses. Axl Rose is all talk. Tells everyone he wants to move forward all the while pouring cement around his feet.

Board footer