You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Re: The Official "Star Trek" Thread

This movie was really good. It made an effort to fit in the continuity and does a fair job of it, and gets all the characters right - which is a big surprise. The special effects actually work out well, and the story is strong.

My only problem with it might be that at times it seems the writers held some contempt for Vulcan culture. But that only occurred to me in reflection, and not while the movie was playing.

Well cast, well written, well directed - hope the sequels can maintain this level without going 'dark and gritty' like most franchises do.

Anyone else laugh hysterically when they mention Admiral Archer's beagle? Porthos was the best part of Enterprise.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:

I've heard some bad things about Trekies about this movie.  They've called it everything from "enjoyable", to "fun" with "amazing visuals" and "acting that wasn't at all stiff." 

Sounds pretty bad to me. 16

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

Someone has been watching The Onion.

AtariLegend wrote:

I seen it yesterday, it was good, but there's alot of things I'd complain about,

Hidden Text:

like the implications of the time travelling storyline. Meaning zero chance of another 24th century based spin off.

I wish they spent more time explaining also why it was left up to Spock to save the Romulan Empire single handedly.

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:

I never knew this existed, and I watched it lastnight.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0835378/

Good idea for a storyline for one of the series, but poorly done here..
The best thing in it was the slave girl (also Leeta in DS9) cuz she`s as fit as fuck

AtariLegend wrote:
mickronson wrote:

I never knew this existed, and I watched it lastnight.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0835378/

Good idea for a storyline for one of the series, but poorly done here..
The best thing in it was the slave girl (also Leeta in DS9) cuz she`s as fit as fuck

It sounds better than this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_New_Voyages

I have to go find that.

Dreamline
 Rep: 64 

Dreamline wrote:

This finally made it over here to Japan and I got a chance to see it last week.

Admittedly, I'm only a casual fa of Trek, but I thought this film was fantastic.  The plot itself was interesting and it gave enough nods to the old series and characters to be fun, but not so much that it got to be annoying or cheesy.

Sylar (does that guy have a real name smile ) was great as Spock.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Yeah...i've only ever had a casual interest in ST...my friends are into it and I saw a lot of TNG and I find it watchable but never really got hardcore into it...but I really enjoyed the new movie...felt the new cast did a great job of bringing the show back to life but being respectful of the past. I'll def check out the sequal when it happens

AtariLegend wrote:

Sorry for bumping this thread, I know I'm repeat offender. ...But just seen Khan first time in years.

Absolutely love it, not in nostalgic way for rest series. I just really think it's one of best sci-fi films of all time. There's several great scenes, music and acting. Shatner in this film, isn't even playing himself, he's actually acting in this one.

Yeah, sure Spock was back by end next film. Maybe it was cheap, but it is a fantastic death scene. Khan's pretty good too.

As for my list in first post, it'd be slightly different now, but nothing touches Khan.

Lomax wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

Sorry for bumping this thread, I know I'm repeat offender. ...But just seen Khan first time in years.

Absolutely love it, not in nostalgic way for rest series. I just really think it's one of best sci-fi films of all time. There's several great scenes, music and acting. Shatner in this film, isn't even playing himself, he's actually acting in this one.

Yeah, sure Spock was back by end next film. Maybe it was cheap, but it is a fantastic death scene. Khan's pretty good too.

As for my list in first post, it'd be slightly different now, but nothing touches Khan.

Been re-watching the star trek films of later, forcing my girlfriend to sit through them. Watched Wrath of Khan the other night.... What an excellent excellent movie. In my opinion yeah Spock was back at the end of the next film, but, when you put it in context, and imagine watching that for the first time in the cinema the day it came out. It must have been fucking amazing. The fact they brought Spock back is the fault of the film that followed. But Khan was very very good.

Board footer