You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Get in the ring

Lomax wrote:

Seeing as there's a lot of upset over the negativity and the fighting on here I've an idea.
How about a sub-forum called something like "Get in the Ring". Where fighting and arguing about who is best Slash or Axl is allowed? We ban it in the rest of the board but allow it in there? Like a Gladiators arena in ancient Rome. That will keep the fighting all in one thread, allowing those who want to vent a space to do it, and those no interested can just steer clear of the thread?

Personally I think this is the only way to contain the madness, it will give a place for people to express while at the same time cleaning up the rest of the board for those who dislike negativity. I've seen this work on philosophy forums, they do it on those quite a lot in fact. It's a great system and is really worth some serious part on the behalf of the mods. If it's good enough for Rome ya know smile

Seriously though it's a good idea I've seen it clear up many an unruly board. If someone kicks off in a thread about Axl Vs Slash or about the uselessness of the new GNR then they are told to go to the "Ring" and hammer out their issue there instead of derailing threads and annoying the rest of us.

Takers.???

Lomax wrote:

I'm sure it sounds counter-intuitive at first, making an area specifically for the thing we are trying to get rid of. But if you think about it what we want to get rid of is the negativity on the boards as a whole, by focusing it in one area that people can chose to take or leave we're cordoning off an area while catering to everyone involved.
Just my 2 cents.

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:

I've been to boards like that. It's not long before you're moving more and more conversations based on nothing but two (or more) people disagreeing. Nothing else in common. I really think too much is being made of it all. I also think there are a lot of people that think it's a big deal because they think other people are really bothered. I bet the actual number of people bothered are way less than the number of people that THINK they need to act bothered.

This message brought to you by Saturday night.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Riad wrote:

I'm sure it sounds counter-intuitive at first, making an area specifically for the thing we are trying to get rid of. But if you think about it what we want to get rid of is the negativity on the boards as a whole, by focusing it in one area that people can chose to take or leave we're cordoning off an area while catering to everyone involved.
Just my 2 cents.

This seems like a great productive way to simplify the problem with thread arguments for the most part. Great idea Stephen. smile Title works perfectly. Let's try to give it awhile and see if the arguments flow into here and if doesn't work then we can always try another alternative.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

Good idea in principle, but the so-called "negativity" I post isn't because I think Slash is better than Axl, or Axl is better than Slash, so to me it's not as simple as having a thread to argue about about them two.

My "negative" opinions of Axl have nothing to do with Slash, and are usually something Axl does all on his very own... 14 19

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

Good idea in principle, but the so-called "negativity" I post isn't because I think Slash is better than Axl, or Axl is better than Slash, so to me it's not as simple as having a thread to argue about about them two.

My "negative" opinions of Axl have nothing to do with Slash, and are usually something Axl does all on his very own... 14 19

I agree.  I believe things like this have been attempted before.  There's no way to stop the bickering within threads.  And disagreeing is fine, as long as it is within reason.  And while I agree that Axl brings a lot of the negativity on himself, the comparisons with Slash are, and always will be inevitable.  Especially when Slash handles himself in a much more professional and accessible manner.  Axl is who he is.  He does what he does.  We have to realize and accept that at this point.  Things probably aren't going to change that much going forward, despite how much we hope and wish.

Ultimately, I'd like some sort of reconciliation between the 2 main principles somewhere down the road.  That also seems unlikely, but I think that'd be the healthiest thing for all parties involved.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

I try to keep the peace and have a positive mindset for the most part in the Guns threads; but I will sometimes express my disappointment with Axl and management. Especially when a new album is teased in our faces and then there is no recording and no clear confirmation. Also the constant delay of those concert DVD/Blu ray releases and hopefully that VH1 Classic news works out. Basically when nothing is getting done or accomplished. Love Slash and the guys that have come and gone within the band over the years. Except I think some of the remarks "Adler" keep going on about are childish.  Don't hate any of the players that are in it right now. They all seem very cool since Russ and a few other guys here in this community got to meet most of the them.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

I don't see that type of forum working here. Don't think it's really needed hereeither. It's just not us.

I tend to agree with smoke too. Some take this shit way too close to the heart.

Board footer