You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: SLASH 'Wasn't Disappointed' By AXL ROSE's Decision To Skip RnRHoF

monkeychow wrote:
RussTCB wrote:

I was just about to mention what Intercourse just said. I'm not sure but I think that all the Izzy bashing started around the time the HoF went down.

I don't mean to bash Izzy, i sometimes speak 'against him' because I keep reading two opinions that relate to him over and over on here and I strongly disagree with both of them.

Those are:

General opinion : Izzy is a cool cat and it's cool that he boycotted that sham RRHOF.

Monkey Opinion: Izzy is cool, but it's way uncool that he didn't come to RRHOF and further it's much worse than Axl no showing the event - as at least Axl has a decent reason not to go.

General Opinion: op: Izzy was the reason the GNR songs were great, without him all other members work becomes average and GNR can't write.

Monkey Opinion: GNR stopped writing when izzy left but that's more to do with Izzy's role in finding a happy balance between Axl's musical style and Slash's musical style which after the UYI era were heading in different directions. Meanwhile - while each member of old GNR added to the melting pot of sounds - and with all respects to the drummers, bass players and rhythm players - the truly remarkable aspects of GNR...that is the sounds that make it instantly distinctive are Slash's guitar tone and Axl's vocal tone. Any Izzy music including GNR songs without Axl and Slash's parts would become just as "bland" as people accuse Slash's solo stuff and Chinese Democracy of being.

So it's not that I want to Bash izzy as such...it's more that some of the praise given to him around here is well out of proportion in my opinion.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

So according to Dizzy the part of the grammy winning song that most people like best was not what's best for the song? 18

Dizzy also said 142 weeks ago that GNR were working on a new album (http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?id=8385&p=1)

Damn Dizzy...I like you...but that's 0 for 2 you got there brother wink

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

Dizzy as a "creative musician" really ought to know better. My feeling is here that this was more of an attempt to keep the boss happy than anything else. Fact is Dizzy old son, when Slash shows up on stage to play anything up to 10,000 people show up to listen, when Hookers & Blow play...well...I rest my case.  13
For a guy with so much downtime from GNR he's equally as poor on output as Axl. Anyone can be an armchair critic.

I've played in bands with "technical guys" and they can be the fucking pits...some of them re so fucking smug with themsleves for learning all of the theory that they decide to be musical accountants rather than artists and preach to all that will listen about their stunning insight into the cogs of music.

I remember writing with a old band mate who was classically trained and the riff he presented was carbon copy of U2's "The Fly". When challenged he got pissy and responded something along the lines of "well, its not the same, the augmented 5th is placed in the third bar and not the second"...dude...to the rest of the world its the SAME FUCKING RIFF.. 17

So tell Mr. Jazz to get bent and concentrate on breaking the rules to break new ground and not adopting a North Korean mindset to your craft.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Also the irony strikes me.

Like Slash's guitar solo is an unnecessary addition added on just because Slash wanted to do it without regard to if it was best for the song....

But I bet he loved the addition of the masturbating robots in better....

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:
Intercourse wrote:

Dizzy as a "creative musician" really ought to know better. My feeling is here that this was more of an attempt to keep the boss happy than anything else. Fact is Dizzy old son, when Slash shows up on stage to play anything up to 10,000 people show up to listen, when Hookers & Blow play...well...I rest my case.  13

Hookers and Blow is a joke but to say that at least 10k people show up to Slash... KINDA misleading.

Porto Alegre, where I live, is a town at southern Brazil, we're more Argentinean than Brazilian culturally, but Slash played here, twice, to less then 1000 people on a 5k place. He played in São Paulo and Curitiba to even smaller audiences, almost "bars full of people" in 2010 and this year played to around 2,5k people.

This in BRAZIL, where both him and Axl are taken as semi-gods...

I'm no Slash basher nor Axl supporter (lately I'm way more an Axl basher btw), but as we shouldn't dismiss Slash to justify Axl or vice-versa, we shouldn't exagerate on Slash's audiences to slap Dizzy's face (altough sometimes he deserves 16 ) and there has been reports on this board about recent concerts in US where there were few people..

I know people like to say "oh, but he played on [insert town] and there were 25k people".. It's like saying Axl headlined Rock In Rio or the summer fests so he "always plays to 75k people"...

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
otto wrote:
Intercourse wrote:

Hookers and Blow is a joke but to say that at least 10k people show up to Slash... KINDA misleading.

Slash indeed played to 10,000 or so people at the Sydney Entertainment Centre when I saw him last year on his Australian tour.
Biggest show I've seen him play as a solo artist, and I believe he played to a similar sized crowd in Melbourne as well. Monkeychow can vouch for that.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

General opinion : Izzy is a cool cat and it's cool that he boycotted that sham RRHOF.

Monkey Opinion: Izzy is cool, but it's way uncool that he didn't come to RRHOF and further it's much worse than Axl no showing the event - as at least Axl has a decent reason not to go.

Axl didn't have any more decent of a reason than Izzy. The Rock Hall is a joke and I don't blame anyone for refusing to show up.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:
otto wrote:

You eh KINDA misread what I wrote, I actually wrote "Slash shows up on stage to play, anything up to 10,000 people show up to listen"

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:

I stand corrected. Got what you saying. English is not my first language so sometimes some things get lost in the mix smile

Board footer