You are not logged in. Please register or login.

smoke
 Rep: 77 

Re: BUMBLEFOOT Says Waiting For A New GUNS N' ROSES Album To Get Done Is '

smoke wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I still love the guy (warts and all).  It's hard to do sometimes.  I even defended CD to someone who was bashing it without ever hearing it.  It's okay to bash it if you've heard it and don't like it, but don't bash it just for the sake of bashing it.  It has some moments that flash what could have been even for those that don't like it that much.

Same here, though I tend to be a "nutswinger" to begin with. smile But it's like having a kid brother or sister. It's totally fine for YOU to tune them up, but some other kid does it, it's time to fight.

buzzsaw wrote:

Whoa...hold it.  Let's not go too crazy by bringing Robin back

I'd be wearing cream-jeans if they brought Robin back.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

And on the subject of Slash's work versus Axl's work – I get the feeling that Axl strives for excellence, where Slash is willing to settle. Paired up with a frontman who's prepared to go the extra mile, you get stuff like the best of Velvet Revolver; Slither, Messages, Fall To Pieces. But without other creative people around him, Slash tends to lapse into radio-rock clichés – Starlight, Standing in the Sun, etc. He needs that extra spark to come up with something like By The Sword – and unfortunately, the person with that spark is Axl. It's telling that Slash considered approaching the likes of Thom Yorke and Jack White for his first solo album, but backed down. And gave us fucking Kid Rock instead.

Myles Kennedy, bless him, can hit the notes, but he is one of the most banal lyricists I've ever heard. It's all rock clichés and obvious rhymes ("Starlight is bright tonight," or whatever it is). A song about vampires that was clearly gunning for a spot on a Twilight or True Blood soundtrack. Something something wasn't it crazy when we were younger but now we're sensible. A girl who ends up on the wrong side of the tracks. I shot a man over a girl and now I've got to go to Mexico, blood is on my hands tonight. Oh, fuck off, do. Give me Catcher in the Rye or Prostitute any day.

And he doesn't sing with any feeling; look at him on stage, he doesn't know where to put his hands. Axl pours himself into every lyric, makes you feel the venom and the heartbreak. Myles... can sing in key.

Really, I wish that Myles and DJ Ashba would form a band and peddle their sub-Nickelback shite somewhere else.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

While I'm busy going off on one – the problem I have with Bumblefoot, as much as I like him as a human being, is that you bloody know that whenever there's a crescendo of any sort within a song, he is going to put in some twiddly technical stuff – whether it's appropriate or not.

Compare the bit of Nightrain from 2:35 onwards in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBw_U3GNJJo

with this bit from 2:21 onwards:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWK99RS18JQ

Buckethead and Bumblefoot have both elaborated on Slash's original solo, but where Buckethead comes up with an interesting little scale made of single notes, Bumblefoot adds that twiddly bit right before Axl comes back in. It's unnecessary and predictable. Buckethead knows when just a single note will do (even in his infamous Nightrain solos, there are plenty of points where he's not twiddling away doing fast runs), and I don't think Bumble (or Ashba, for that matter) have that restraint.

Actually, no I'm not finished with Ashba. Even when he's called on to do a simple string bend – in, say, the Sorry or Don't Cry solos, he does that bloody thing where he delays it by a fraction of a second and strikes the pick against the muted lower strings on his way to the note he's looking for. Or adds an extra little bend by way of a flourish, like at 3:41 in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq19Wi-AoYQ

It makes it overwrought and OTT. Bumble's nowhere near as bad as Ashba, but I wish they'd both learn to hold back on occasion.

ETA: I don't mind as much when Bumble does his twiddly thing – because he's clearly feeling the song, and his way of expressing that is through his fast runs. But Ashba's flourishes just seems very... calculated – part of his rock star posturing.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

While I'm busy going off on one – the problem I have with Bumblefoot, as much as I like him as a human being, is that you bloody know that whenever there's a crescendo of any sort within a song, he is going to put in some twiddly technical stuff – whether it's appropriate or not.

Compare the bit of Nightrain from 2:35 onwards in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBw_U3GNJJo

with this bit from 2:21 onwards:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWK99RS18JQ

Buckethead and Bumblefoot have both elaborated on Slash's original solo, but where Buckethead comes up with an interesting little scale made of single notes, Bumblefoot adds that twiddly bit right before Axl comes back in. It's unnecessary and predictable. Buckethead knows when just a single note will do (even in his infamous Nightrain solos, there are plenty of points where he's not twiddling away doing fast runs), and I don't think Bumble (or Ashba, for that matter) have that restraint.

I've never liked the way BH plays Nightrain. I alway felt he took so much bite out of the song. His solo doesn't fit the song. After watching those two clips I'm even more convinced Bumble does  better job than Bucket.

jonesy
 Rep: 15 

jonesy wrote:
Bono wrote:

I've never liked the way BH plays Nightrain. I alway felt he took so much bite out of the song. His solo doesn't fit the song. After watching those two clips I'm even more convinced Bumble does  better job than Bucket.

I agreed with your views on the Axl  / Slash output conundrum earlier in this thread, but I cant agree with this at all, its sacrilege, I tell you!

BH's nightrain was just pure awesomeness, come on now, we all know that.  I thought the song itself was great, but never really cared for it too much live, until I heard BH's interpretation of it.  And now Ron plays in the shadow of that.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

I just don't feel it suits the vibe of the song. Nightrain is a badass rocker and Axl's voice is  loaded with venom then Buckethead plays a solo that sounds like you're frolicking in a field on a  sunny afternoon chasing butterflies with your girlfiend when you were 12 years old. It's too sentmental the way he plays it. I've never liked it.

jonesy

jonesy wrote:
Bono wrote:

I just don't feel it suits the vibe of the song. Nightrain is a badass rocker and Axl's voice is  loaded with venom then Buckethead plays a solo that sounds like you're frolicking in a field on a  sunny afternoon chasing butterflies with your girlfiend when you were 12 years old. It's too sentmental the way he plays it. I've never liked it.

I can see your point when you put it that way, it is a bit incongruous in context of the song, never thought about it like that.  You may have just ruined it for me. wink 

It's still awesome though, and I so much prefer that over Ron's NT solo.

jonesy

jonesy wrote:

And I'll add that I'm a bit sentimental for that solo, and performance.  I remember when I first heard boots of the 02 shows, and Bucket doing that in Nightrain. At the time it just made me wonder what would or could come next, that solo reminds me of a time when I had a lot of hope, there seemed to be so much promise of what would come with Axl and BH.

I'm getting sad now....I'll stop this.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Board footer